Am I A Cheap Charlie If I Don't Tip?

meatballs

The poor in Africa don't have the basic guarantee for life and it's hard for them to survive and make a living.

The "poor" in Thailand, at least have food, shelter , some schooling, a motorbike, a cell phone and a job (otherwise, you won't be able to know them at all). Better life comes from strive and effort. Tipping will not change one's life or one nation's economy fundamentally. But donation can bring much bigger changes to others (who are really in need)' life: food, education, infrastructure, etc

Thailand is a blessed land. It was not "blood washed" and destroyed in the War (I think you know why) like other Asian countries. If its government keep doing efforts, there could bring big improvements.

Some people try hard to make others feel guilty if they don't tip here. That is why I'm writing here.

• Like 2

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's some figures some may find surprising (from CIA Factbook):

Thailand:

Unemployment rate: 0.7% (2011 estimate).

(3rd best in the world behind Qatar and Monaco)

Population below poverty line: 8.1% (2009 estimate)

USA:

Unemployment rate: 9% (2011 estimate)

(#103 in the world)

Percentage below poverty line: 15.1% (2010 estimate)

Thailand:

USA:

(#103 in the world)

So are you saying that when you visit the US you tip?

Thailand:

USA:

(#103 in the world)

So are you saying that when you visit the US you tip?

Haven't been there since the 90's. Back then I did pay the required surcharge... I think it was 15% then.

Would you like me to post the poverty figures for the Philippines? As I already stated, my donations go there.

The point is obvious - things aren't quite as bad in Thailand as some will have us believe.

In Thailand, I only tip if I go to some high end westernised places. Not because I want to help the employee, but because of the etiquette.

So you tip to show off that you are sooo generous but are in fact too stingy to leave a tip if it would help someone to get sufficient food on the table for maybe a whole family.

In Thailand, I only tip if I go to some high end westernised places. Not because I want to help the employee, but because of the etiquette.

So you tip to show off that you are sooo generous but are in fact too stingy to leave a tip if it would help someone to get sufficient food on the table for maybe a whole family.

It doesn't look like he's tipping to show of at all - it looks like he only tips if he absolutely must and can't get out of it.

What you have to do to limit your tip to 20 baht yet bring smiles of excitement, joy, and happiness is merely to throw a ping pong ball redeemable for the 20 baht.

Now that's funny, albeit in perverse manner.

But I wouldn't be able to help myself, I'd have to throw an arm full, then sit back and enjoy the ensuing melee.

whistling.gif

Yes... if you are happy

No... if you are not happy

Those girls working in massage shops don't really get a huge % of those 100 Baht... and given the fact that they might only have few customers a day (specially in low season), the really can use (or need if they have kids to care after) tips from their customers.

I normally give 50 / hour as tip, 100 / hour if she does a great job (no... great job does NOT mean what you just thought....)

Edit: Uups... happy also does not mean what some are just thinking giggle.gif

I just noticed the topic title but don't bother to go through 17 pages...smile.png

When I came to Thailand more than 30 years ago tipping was not done amongst Thai.

Nobody tipped.

It has been introduced by the tourists themselves who started tipping and thus spoiled the Thai staff, bartenders, service staff etc.

Now, it's a common fact and it's up to the quality of service and kindness of serving staff if they "deserve" a tip or not.

Personally, I dislike the tipping system in Hotels, Restaurants, bars, massage places etc.

Why tip?

It's a rotten system and often, the wrong people get tipped and the hard working staff (kitchen) don't get anything.

Go ask Thai people themselves if they tip...why...and how much wink.png

Rant over rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

It's a rotten system and often, the wrong people get tipped and the hard working staff (kitchen) don't get anything.

Not true. Most places pool the tips and all the staff share it.

It does not matter what Thai people did 30 years ago. Things change. They tip now and so should kee nok foreigners.

It does not matter what Thai people did 30 years ago. Things change. They tip now and so should kee nok foreigners.

Yes, well done USA spreading bad ideas worldwide since 1776!! Well actually they took a bit of time to get going but you know what I mean. (Took over from the Brits!)

Yes, well done USA spreading bad ideas worldwide since 1776!! Well actually they took a bit of time to get going but you know what I mean. (Took over from the Brits!)

Russia is a tipping society. Are you blaming the American tourists for that as well?

Russia is a tipping society. Are you blaming the American tourists for that as well?

No..........but they were spying on each other for years, could have picked up some bad habits!

In Japan there isn't and you aren't. Best service in the world, too, far as I know.

In Japan, leaving a tip can be an insult--so, you think I am incapable of my work? You need to "bribe" me for the work that I'm supposed to do?

... Sure the massage is expensive in Japan, because the price level is higher there.

Yes, the massage price is cheap in Thailand. But also the price for food, labor, schooling, clothes, accommodation etc.

Better calculate the percentage of the price to the income, then have a better view.

If tipping feels right, then do it.

If not, then don't.

Not that much of an issue to need 17 pages of comments.

16 pages comprise of excuses and rationale for not tipping by the resident Cheap Charlies.

Brings to mind the saying 'He who doth protest too much'.................

If not, then don't.

16 pages comprise of excuses and rationale for not tipping by the resident Cheap Charlies.

I don't know. Big tippers insulting non-tippers makes up a large volume of posts too - not to mention all the posts of people complaining that the thread is boring.

If not, then don't.

I don't know. Big tippers insulting non-tippers makes up a large volume of posts too - not to mention all the posts of people complaining that the thread is boring.

I guess this widow (in the Bible) was a cheap Charlie too!

"Mark 12:41

And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the multitude were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. 42 And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. 43 And calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.”

• Like 1

Some tippers keep insulting non-tippers CC. Is this also "democracy", eh?

Some tippers insist non-tippers are exploiting the service workers and cause them poverty...Hmmm, this noble logic reminds me of the communism in my country, ha ha cheesy.gif

Yes, this post is getting a bit boring now. Some argue not with facts, but with fantasy and calling others bad names...

Anyway, it does not bother me at all

I have very little education.

I am not much to look at.

I have worked very hard all of my life.

I made a lot of money.

When I see a girl or woman doing her best, be it sex, cooking,or cleaning, I respect that. I tip.

I tip a lot of baht. Sometimes,they are shocked.

It's worth it to see their face light up in an honest smile.

When you tip drastically more than a thai, you will never be looked at as generous, only stupid. This is the nature of the thai mentality. Accept that or lie to yourself, up to u

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by Kilgore Trout

If not, then don't.

I guess this widow (in the Bible) was a cheap Charlie too!

"Mark 12:41

And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the multitude were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. 42 And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. 43 And calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.”

Seeing we are now using bibilcal quotes you might be familiar with this one:

'It is more blessed to give than receive'

FARANG -tourists- introduced the tipping system in a Thai society where it was and is not common amongst Thai no matter what you say or think about it because Thai people, going out, did not tip in bars, restaurants, hotels; period.

Those farang where used to tip back home in their own country and thought, after 10-12 hours of flying, that Thai staff expected the same.

But Thai staff did NOT, but welcomed the extra money, of course and did not object rolleyes.gif

So, Thai staff now expect a tip because farang changed the non-existing tipping system in Thailand.

Asians, depending where they come from, who make up the vast majority of inbound tourism to Thailand are mostly not used to tipping and I'm curious what they do nowadays with tipping.

Q: does your Thai staff get tipped when they help a client selling a second hand book?

You see, Tipping is a rubbish system.

EDIT:

I recall having a dinner with a business friend of mine in Pattaya, more than 30 years ago in a fancy restaurant.

There was a bunch of Arabian looking guys with expensive designer clothes dressed Ladies of the Night. Thai ladies.

One of the chaps was clearly the man in charge, watching the way he behaved very dominant, not only to the girls but also his assistants.

When they were finished eating (including lots of alcohol...Allah is not watching now, far away) he commanded something in Arab to one of the guys who took a small briefcase, opened it and took quite a bit of money out and threw it on the table and said to the very polite and kind waitress: "keep the change" which amount was HUGE in comparison the the bill, so it seemed.

She left and 2 minutes later the owner of the restaurant came back and gave all the extra tip-money back because they felt highly insulted about the way they tipped but also the way they HANDLED the money, throwing the money on the table with the face of HM The King on the notes....

They felt he seriously insulted HM The King and staff the way they expressed the difference in haves and haves-not.

That made all people, watching the scene in horror about so little respect for money, applaud the way the owner handled the situation!

We applauded as well.

BRAVO clap2.gif

Edited by LaoPo