Another Motocy Accident And Almost One More

Tiger7Moth

Less than two weeks ago, I posted about a motocy accident at 5:30am at the Dolphin Roundabout. This morning I was walking along Pattaya/Naklua road at 5am heading to the beach to continue my exercise walk. Close to Anton's and Bon Cafe, I saw about 10 Thai people out on the road. There had been another motocy accident. As I approched the scene, 2 EMT type Thai guys arrived via motocy. I did see one of the persons who had been hurt in the accident - not seriously hurt. But, as I arrived, the EMT guys were attending to the person who apparently was seriously hurt and that's all I saw, except for a motocy on it's side.

But, even more alarming, I continued my walk towards the beach and saw the following: I was almost at the Dusit Thani and the road (don't know the name) that leads to the beach. At fairly high speed, not crazy high, a motocy with 4 Thai's made the left turn from 2nd Road. Some, if not all of the 4 were female - I couldn't see them well enough as they sped by to determine. The motocy lurched left, then lurched right - one of the females screamed. But, the driver regained control and off they went.

Going at fairly high speed, on a curve, with 4 people - if they had gone down, which they very nearly did - it would have been 4 Thai's seriously hurt.

I would like to buy a motocy, just to go short distances at off hours. I would never trust myself to main roads during high traffic. But, seeing stuff like this makes me wonder if it is ever safe to be on a motocy in this area (again, I have known falangs who are very experienced, drive conservatively and are OK year after year). But, someone with little experience (me), is it ever safe regardless of precautions one takes (side roads, never during high traffic hours....).

If I purchased a motocy, this would be my first choice;

zoomer07.jpg

This has been known in the US as the Ruckus. In the US, where I lived the roads are wide and there is a lane for bicycles. The Ruckus is considered to be a scooter, is allowed in the bicycle lane and doesn't require a motocy license. But, not quite the same here.

I would again be interested in the thoughts, experiences of others. Thanks.

To be honest you need extra power over here just to stay out of harms way. SO i doubt an underpowered bike would be safe. You can always decide to drive slow but have the extra power when needed.

I started out scared here but now 7 years later still no problem

• Like 1

We can't live without our 2 little Thai bikes (PCX & Fino) despite having a car as well, easy to pop around and parking no problem as well.

OP I would say go for it, get the bike licence (very easy) otherwise you will almost every time be at fault if the shit hits the fan.

Power is good to have as robblok say in post no 2 but if you only ride around inside Pattaya not so important as very good brakes.

I love my PCX 150 despite being a big bike rider for over 30 years, I often ride from North Pattaya (my house) to Jomtien just for breakfast going on Beach Road to take in the scenery at early morning. The bike gives you an enormous felling of freedom and the small Thai bikes are very cheap to maintain and run, just be a bit careful with theft and lock the bike when it's out of your sight when parking somewhere.

If you like the one in your OP I think there is a topic about it bike forum, cute little bike but it's too small for me.

I was in the same location ( Antons/Bon Cafe) at about the same time and saw the aftermath of the accident.

Have come across similar scenes a few times and it puts me off riding a bike.

I will however be a passenger on the back of one.

I doubt my own ability to ride defensively enough though can see how convenient and useful having one would be.

A friend has been riding one here for about 7 years and not had an accident.

I am an experienced bike rider and have riden a bike here for 4 years with no accidents (so far). It can get scary at times though even if you ride defensively. The main problem is that thais (and some farangs) are so unpredictable. They pull out of junctions without looking, run red lights, signal left but turn right etc it's probably only a question of time before i get zapped. It would be hard to manage without a bike though as they as so convenient just to get around town (and so cheap).

I am an experienced bike rider and have riden a bike here for 4 years with no accidents (so far). It can get scary at times though even if you ride defensively. The main problem is that thais (and some farangs) are so unpredictable. They pull out of junctions without looking, run red lights, signal left but turn right etc it's probably only a question of time before i get zapped. It would be hard to manage without a bike though as they as so convenient just to get around town (and so cheap).

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their replies.

Chris2004 just about sums up my feelings and concerns.

I start my walk anywhere from 4am to 5am and walk from 2 to 3 hours. With regards to traffic, this is an interesting time of day. While the volume of traffic is low, there are 3 types on the road: Thai people setting up to sell their products larer in the day (some coming from the Naklua market with huge amounts of stuff hanging all over their motocy's), huge Tour buses and Tour Vans (seems like the tour vans are always a little late and speeding a bit) and motocys - some OK but, some with someone driving who is drunk, speeding and erratic.

Although this is not the time of day that I would like to use a motocy, it forms my impression of safety.

The Ruckus - now called Zoomer, was 49cc in the US (had to be under 50cc to use bycicle lane), now, apprently designed and manufactured in Thailand, 110cc.

My real concern, since my use would be very limited, in addition to those mentioned by Chris2004 are the teenagers speeding in and out of traffic, doing wheelies and the occasional motocy going very slowly and you can't figure out what the heck they are doing (texting while they are driving).

Oh, what to do? what to do?

Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

To be honest you need extra power over here just to stay out of harms way. SO i doubt an underpowered bike would be safe. You can always decide to drive slow but have the extra power when needed.

I've heard this theory so many times. IMO it's a way to rationalize the purchase of a fast motorcycle.

I've never had power to accelerate out of trouble. You won't get that on a scooter, especially if you weigh a bit and have a pillion.

Extra power is usually a negative because people tend to use it to accelerate into trouble rather than drive slow and use the power only for emergencies. I can't think of a time when I needed more power to get away from trouble. When I see impatient cars behind me I move left to let them overtake.

I am an experienced bike rider and have riden a bike here for 4 years with no accidents (so far).

You're game to brag about that. Better not to temp fate and say you've been lucky for 4 years. I've been lucky for 7 years, still waiting for my first accident.smile.png Overconfidence is dangerous.

I've heard this theory so many times. IMO it's a way to rationalize the purchase of a fast motorcycle.

I've never had power to accelerate out of trouble. You won't get that on a scooter, especially if you weigh a bit and have a pillion.

Extra power is usually a negative because people tend to use it to accelerate into trouble rather than drive slow and use the power only for emergencies. I can't think of a time when I needed more power to get away from trouble. When I see impatient cars behind me I move left to let them overtake.

A little bit of power at the traffic lights is a good thing (only PCX 125, plenty for me), doesn't need a lot, just enough to leave the other 20-30 bikes behind. Nothing worse than arriving at an already green light and have to manoeuvre through a messy line of weaving cars and bikes. Most of the trouble you get on the road comes from behind; if you travel at the speed of the traffic flow or marginally above it makes a whole world of difference.

I think it depends where you drive, where i drive mostly extra power is needed. In Pattaya i don't think so, maybe some place where you have to keep up with traffic. When there are impatient cars i move out of the way too.

I think the main problem here is not how you drive but how others do.

Normally in any accident involving 2 vehicles one is right the other wrong.

This realisation and accepting that here you need 100% concentration on the road and your surroundings at all times is the only way to reduce the likelyhood of being in an accident. I wouldn't class myself as a very good driver but since living here I have become a much more careful driver.

Below is an example.

Driving down a dual caraigeway this morning heading towards traffic lights in my Toyota Vigo. I was in the inside lane travelling about 80kmph. Another vehicle in front of me but on the outside lane going much slower, so indicated went into the outside lane and stayed behind him for about 600mtrs. Flashed my lights to let him/her know I wanted to come through. As per normal no response. Indicated to go back into inside lane and with caution, in case he decided to come in, overtook. I was now only doing 60kph. Traffic lights now less than 800mtrs away but couldn't see them as I was on a bend. An elderly lady on a motorbike (no helmut as is the norm) who was in front of me by less than 50mts. Just something told me to be extra careful and I eased off the gas. Suddenly, without looking in the mirror or using her indicators, the lady decided she wanted to turn right at the traffic lights and pulled out in front of me and still without looking went across into the outside lane. Luckily I was going fairly slowly knowing that soon I would be at the lights or she would have been hit and one could say that there would be a good possibility she had no insurance cover.

Things though like this are an every day occurence here. Especially driving through small villages. It is a nightmae at times.

A little bit of power at the traffic lights is a good thing (only PCX 125, plenty for me), doesn't need a lot, just enough to leave the other 20-30 bikes behind. Nothing worse than arriving at an already green light and have to manoeuvre through a messy line of weaving cars and bikes. Most of the trouble you get on the road comes from behind; if you travel at the speed of the traffic flow or marginally above it makes a whole world of difference.

All the basic scooters can get off the line fast enough. My Airblade and Mio do a good enough job and I can still get out in front if I wish. I don't agree that most trouble comes from behind but from the sides - people in a hurry to pull into a street. I also don't agree that getting off the line fast is safer than taking your time. Perhaps you just enjoy the acceleration and being in front, but that extra speed will also get you into trouble faster. Slower = less damage if you come off.

All the basic scooters can get off the line fast enough. My Airblade and Mio do a good enough job and I can still get out in front if I wish. I don't agree that most trouble comes from behind but from the sides - people in a hurry to pull into a street. I also don't agree that getting off the line fast is safer than taking your time. Perhaps you just enjoy the acceleration and being in front, but that extra speed will also get you into trouble faster. Slower = less damage if you come off.

When i drive my MC I am never off the line first when the light changes, id rather wait another 2-3 seconds and even then always look right and left before taking off, the reason being that there always can be someone jumping a red light.

As said before: Patience is a virtue.

When i drive my MC I am never off the line first when the light changes, id rather wait another 2-3 seconds and even then always look right and left before taking off, the reason being that there always can be someone jumping a red light.

Good point. Red light jumpers are very common in Pattaya, especially at night. A red light is not considered red until at least 5 seconds after it turned red. Anyone who does jump is usually travelling very fast too.

Good point. Red light jumpers are very common in Pattaya, especially at night. A red light is not considered red until at least 5 seconds after it turned red. Anyone who does jump is usually travelling very fast too.

I agree, never go before you are sure it's safe to do so. I never seen so many red lights "jumpers" as here in Thailand.

The same thing applies when stopping for red light, look in your rear view mirrors is case a car or something bigger wants to jump the light so be prepared to pull to the left to give them room and thus not getting rear ended.

Guyz,

I have learned a lot in Thailand, for example learned to speak Thai, learned to read Thai etc etc but the most important thing what I am most proud of is that I learned is patience while driving. (Cha Yen Yen)

Back in the Home Land I always was impatient, always speeding and always trying to get of the line first, but nowadays (because of Living in Thailand (maybe) and seeing many accidents, I have learned that patience doesn't get you to your destination fast, but ..... it will get you there and the most importantly safe and alive.

Be Safe !!!!

Edited by MJCM

That is sound advice. The red light jumping here is just insane, it's a wonder there isn't even more accidents. My Mrs was an inch away from killing some idiot on a bike recently because of this, I wouldn't have gave the bike moron a minutes thought had he perished but would have been gutted for my Mrs to have that on her conscience for the rest of her life.

I have learned a lot in Thailand, for example learned to speak Thai, learned to read Thai etc etc but the most important thing what I am most proud of is that I learned is patience while driving. (Cha Yen Yen)

'Cha Yen Yen' means 'cold tea' cheesy.gif

You mean 'Jai Yen Yen'

Edited by Neeranam

What is this word 'motrorcyc' I see on here?? If you want to shorten motorcycle or motorbike just say bike.

Is it an Americanism?

No, it's a very annoying word used by newbies here that can't be bothered learning Thai properly but throw in a few easy words like 'motorsai', 'ting tong', and 'tee rak'.

What would you expect on an English forum? I find it annoying when people insist on exact Thai words or pronunciations because Thai cannot be translated precisely into English. It's quite normal to use approximations when translating.

Just as very few foreigners pronounce "Pattaya" the exact Thai way.

What is this word 'motrorcyc' I see on here?? If you want to shorten motorcycle or motorbike just say bike.

Is it an Americanism?

No, it's a very annoying word used by newbies here that can't be bothered learning Thai properly but throw in a few easy words like 'motorsai', 'ting tong', and 'tee rak'.

What would you expect on an English forum? I find it annoying when people insist on exact Thai words or pronunciations because Thai cannot be translated precisely into English. It's quite normal to use approximations when translating.

Just as very few foreigners pronounce "Pattaya" the exact Thai way.

I found it funny as the guy said he had learned to speak and read Thai etc etc. If you can read Thai the transliteration is pretty easy.

Actually, Thai can be translated precisely to English. You mean transliteration or transcription.

Edited by Neeranam

'Cha Yen Yen' means 'cold tea' cheesy.gif

You mean 'Jai Yen Yen'

Tinglish thumbsup.gif

And good that you quoted the most important part of the text !

Edited by MJCM