Beet Root Seeds?

ffourie

Maybe in the farming forum some of the experts over there will know where you can source seeds.

I brought some seeds back as well as a horseradish root and had zero luck, the greens were a salad buffet for every insect known to man kind, I tried some chemicals however they were so damaged that point they didn't make it.

• Like 1

Even if you get seeds, the chances of a successful crop are next to zilch.

Beetroot need a cool temperate climate with preferably a cccold winter period to convert the sugar.

If you live in the highlands north of Chiang Mai you could have some success

The fresh beetroot you may see in Macro is I believe sourced from China.

• Like 2

I tried planting some at the start of the cooler period last year but they didn't work. I still have a packet or 2 I think, which you could have but really I agree with whats already said. The variety was Derwent Globe which indicated to me they were for Tasmanian conditions which you would be lucky to replicate here. All in all I was a bit mad to even try but I do like a bit of beetroot with a salad or a sandwich or both

I tried planting some at the start of the cooler period last year but they didn't work. I still have a packet or 2 I think, which you could have but really I agree with whats already said. The variety was Derwent Globe which indicated to me they were for Tasmanian conditions which you would be lucky to replicate here. All in all I was a bit mad to even try but I do like a bit of beetroot with a salad or a sandwich or both

Just checked. I also have Detroit Red Globe and Forono (a longer not round one). The packets are expire Aug 12 so would not be very hopeful. On the growing map on the back of the packet they say sow in Spring, Autumn or Winter for tropical Australia, it must have been this that raised my hopes.