C-17 Aircraft

vickersvc10

I missed it. But I was fortunate enough to have worked for Boeing in Long Beach when the C-17 made its first test flight out of the facility there. It was on a Sunday morning. I was golfing with friends on Skylinks Golf Course, directly beside the facility. The aircraft literally flew directly over our heads. It was an amazing site; and, as you noted, incredibly quiet for such a huge and powerful military transport. I'm very proud to have been a small part of the birth of such a great plane.

I did not see it, must have been quite a site over Pattaya. Maybe it was something to do with President Obama visit to Thailand. Or maybe the crew wanted to see the city that they have read so much about.

I often see C17 also C141 Starlifters on final approach into Utapao from my house.

The RTAF has C130's but not C17's. The two are easily distinguished because, apart from being much bigger, the C17 has swept wings and jets rather than straight wings and props. The aircraft that flew over was indeed a C17. It was most likely bringing in a fleet of limos for Obama's visit.

^^ If it was for Obama's visit wouldn't it be more practical from them to land at Don Muang instead of Sattahip ??

Earlier this year there was a scandal when several Secret Service agents were sacked for hanging out with hookers in Columbia. I'd guess that the C17 flyover yesterday was the Secret Service guys checking the quickest way to get to Pattaya. Now let's wait and see if Air Force One does a flypast.

The C17 usually brings in the Presidents Limo's and support vehicles, along with other "equipment" preceding a presidential visit. I would obviously surmise that is what this was. I have no answer for the choice of airports though.

Utapao is an air-force base which strangely enough also act as civilian airport so the whole area is fairly guarded/fenced in. I started to use it for direct flights to Phuket with BKK air (one flight pr day) and when you enter the area you stop at the guard house and have to give the army guys id card or similar and get it back when you leave.

It's quite funny actually when they call you out, flight no xxx to Phuket is now ready for boarding at gate no1, there was only one civilian flight that day, he-he.

Every now and then, there are planes coming in very low over Mabprachan, dont know if they do it on purpose or for some reason, couldnt get enough altitude.

Usually airplanes used for parachuting training.

The navy has a training dropzone near the back end of Bira circuit, which as the crow flies is only a few miles away from the lake.

This is military psrachuting, so low level exiting, hence the low flying airplanes....

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

The secret about the C-17 is lifted. The Nation has today November 19 an article about President Barack Obama's limo fleet - called The Beast - which it mentions is always transported on international trips on a C-17. Read more here.

For those of you not familiar with this outstanding aircraft; one of its most valuable features is that it can land and take off with very little runway, for an aircraft of this size and lift capacity. It is truly the best cargo aircraft in the world for use in areas where that feature is of value. (Yes, as a retired Boeing employee, I acknowledge a bias!) :-)

For those of you not familiar with this outstanding aircraft; one of its most valuable features is that it can land and take off with very little runway, for an aircraft of this size and lift capacity. It is truly the best cargo aircraft in the world for use in areas where that feature is of value. (Yes, as a retired Boeing employee, I acknowledge a bias!) :-)

And it looks like Thunderbird 2!

Couple of other tid bits about the C-17, Globemaster lll

Has three types of power plugs throughout the plane, 220V, 120 V, and 12+ V for medical equipment, since the C-17 can almost instantly be configured as a flying ambulance

Fold down side bench seats are wide enough to not only accommodate a soldier, but their parachute as well

Entire cargo area floors have imbedded roller bearings which allows manual movement of pallets

Has a automatic jack that extends from the drop down cargo tail section to allow loading of heavy pallets from fork lifts and roll on equipment

Climate controlled sectioning of cargo area which insures passenger comfort

Short take off and landing from unimproved run ways possible

The US Army likes the C-17 so much that they petitioned Congress to divert funds from a division of Abram Tanks to the Air Force to purchase more C-17's

If you have even had to fly on a C-141, affectionately known as the " tube of death " the C-17 is like going from a Toyota to a Cadillac

Has three types of power plugs throughout the plane, 220V, 120 V, and 12+ V for medical equipment, since the C-17 can almost instantly be configured as a flying ambulance

Fold down side bench seats are wide enough to not only accommodate a soldier, but their parachute as well

Entire cargo area floors have imbedded roller bearings which allows manual movement of pallets

Has a automatic jack that extends from the drop down cargo tail section to allow loading of heavy pallets from fork lifts and roll on equipment

The US Army likes the C-17 so much that they petitioned Congress to divert funds from a division of Abram Tanks to the Air Force to purchase more C-17's

If you have even had to fly on a C-141, affectionately known as the " tube of death " the C-17 is like going from a Toyota to a Cadillac

LOUDEST, shakiest, most uncomfortable aircraft I have ever flown in was the old "Flying Boxcar" - C119. I was in the Civil Air Patrol; and the Air Force flew our drill team in a C119 from Boston's Logan airport to Hanscom AFB in Rome, NY, for the regional championship. Took a couple of hours after landing to get back our normal hearing and stop our bodies from shaking! :-)

I hated the 141! Used to jump out if it when I was in the 82nd airborne at Ft. Brag. They had blast deflector doors that opened outward to "slow down" the door blast for us paratroopers. It was useless. Such a violent jump when compared to the c-130 hercules or the c-123 provider. Are they using the c-17 as an airdrop aircraft for personnel now also? I remember when they were considering using the c-5a galaxy for this at one time. Glad that never happened. That had to be the loudest plane I ever heard.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Where did you get this "tube of death" thing? I was a crew-member flying on C-141 A and B models for 20 years and I never heard this comment. The Starlifter was one of the most reliable air-frames around during it's glorious life. Designed in the early sixties and produced mid sixties. The 141 has had a distinguished flying career. And of course the C-17 is a new modern plane by comparison as its design is in the 80's and 90's. The C-17 has a long way to go to produce a flying safety record to match the 141.

A final word, if I may, about this thread. I think the C17 landed at Don Mueang, offloaded The Beast (presidental limo) and then flew to U-Tapao for a secure overnight stop. I spotted it again the next day flying north, presumably to collect The Beast and take it to Rangoon. I visited Rangoon last year and was surprised at how small the airport was, and the runway certainly wasn't overlong. On YouTube I saw Air Force One land at Rangoon; it was a very short ground roll, so presumably the pilot used everything he had (flaps, reverse thrust, carbon brakes) to make it a spectacular landing!

Where did you get this "tube of death" thing? I was a crew-member flying on C-141 A and B models for 20 years and I never heard this comment. The Starlifter was one of the most reliable air-frames around during it's glorious life. Designed in the early sixties and produced mid sixties. The 141 has had a distinguished flying career. And of course the C-17 is a new modern plane by comparison as its design is in the 80's and 90's. The C-17 has a long way to go to produce a flying safety record to match the 141.

I seriously doubt if any passengers are going to make that comment to a crew member, especially on a military aircraft. But us non Air Force types used the term liberally, especially when assigned to fly in the C-141 instead of the much more comfortable C-17... and you should stop being so sensitive.... note I used the term affectionately known since it sure beat the hell out of walking