Video: Obama-Yingluck Press Conference

webfact

Video: Obama-Yingluck Press Conference

43:54

Joint press conference between President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at Government House. Joint Press Statement also available at http://go.usa.gov/gcPm

We do apologise for the sound quality issues experienced during the first minute of Prime Minister Yingluck's address, please stay tuned for the full transcript of the press conference.

US EMBASSY

-- 2012-11-19

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, that period during World War II was just Thailand bending with the wind from Japan...then when the Allies won WWII Thailand was just bending with the wind from he U.S. Thailand is a very flexible...when it comes to relations with other countries they are masters of Kama Sutra.

• Like 2

Oh, that period during World War II was just Thailand bending with the wind from Japan...then when the Allies won WWII Thailand was just bending with the wind from he U.S. Thailand is a very flexible...when it comes to relations with other countries they are masters of Kama Sutra.

After the slaughter the Japanese wreaked on the Philippine and Chinese population, to some extent one can't really blame the Thai's for their attitude.

• Like 1

After the slaughter the Japanese wreaked on the Philippine and Chinese population, to some extent one can't really blame the Thai's for their attitude.

Not forgetting how the Allies simply abandoned Malaysia, in particular Penang, and left the population completely undefended against the Japanese. The Thai 's siding with the Japanese was a sensible move in terms of survival.

Not forgetting how the Allies simply abandoned Malaysia, in particular Penang, and left the population completely undefended against the Japanese. The Thai 's siding with the Japanese was a sensible move in terms of survival.

Indeed, it allowed them to survive at least. However, there were quite a few avid pro-Japanese members of the military around. Anyway, it is all history now, and anyway, the declaration of war was never delivered to the US, so it is all moot. At the end of the day, I believe that Thailand has more to lose by not actively pursuing closer ties with the US, versus increasing its ties with China. That is just my opinion of the matter.

• Like 1

Sounds like a "conversation" in a bar..."What's your name honey?" "Anything you want it to be big strong man."wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Thailand, US agree to deepen partnership

By English News

o.jpeg

BANGKOK, Nov 19 -- Thailand and United States have agreed to chart the way for a deeper bilateral strategic partnership and enhanced regional cooperation as Bangkok welcomed Washington’s policy of forging a stronger partnership with the Asia-Pacific region.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Sunday welcomed the US President Barack Obama at Government House and held bilateral talks on a wide range of issues.

Both leaders later held a joint press conference in which Mr Obama reaffirmed the enduring US support for democracy in Thailand and welcomed the Thai government’s commitment to strengthening Thailand’s parliamentary democracy.

He emphasised that Thailand is America’s oldest treaty ally in Asia. The two leaders agreed that their alliance is rooted in a shared commitment to democracy, the rule of law, respect for both universal human rights and open societies, and a free market, which has bonded the people of the two nations closely together.

Thailand and the US will mark the anniversary of their 180 years of diplomatic relations in 2013.

The two leaders welcomed their continuing high-level and multidimensional dialogue, including the Fourth United States-Thailand Strategic Dialogue in June 2012, considered as the critical framework for shaping the agenda for United States-Thai relations.

Ms Yingluck welcomed the American’ policy of forging a stronger partnership with the Asia-Pacific region and US support for ASEAN centrality in regional development and integration, especially through Washington’s engagement in the ASEAN-US Summit and the East Asia Summit (EAS).

Mr Obama noted the growing importance of the EAS as an important regional forum for Asia-Pacific leaders to discuss political and strategic issues.

The two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to working together to promote practical regional cooperation, including using other regional multilateral organisations such as the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) and the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum.

The US President welcomed Thailand’s interest in the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations, which is subject to Thailand’s undertaking the necessary domestic procedures.

The two leaders looked forward to reconvening the TIFA Joint Council as an important step to strengthening our trade ties and consulting on the requirements for Thailand’s eventual participation in high-standard agreements, including the TPP. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-19

Some might have noticed there was a question and some talk about Thai food at the press conference. Obama mentioned that Thai food is one of his favorites and when asked to mention some specific Thai dishes he copped out and said he likes it all. Diplomatic perhaps but rather weak. So ... do the Obamas really like Thai food all that much? I think they have good taste in food in D.C. and Chicago, but note in this photo list, not ONE Thai restaurant! Some pundits are calling this Green Curry Gate!

Of course, perhaps the white house kitchen chefs can cook good Thai food but the public demands to know what Thai food he ate, and when did he eat it!

http://www.washingto...ry.html#photo=1

Edited by Jingthing

Of course, perhaps the white house kitchen chefs can cook good Thai food but the public demands to know what Thai food he ate, and when did he eat it!

My guess is it was just White Rice. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy

The Thais sided with the Japanese before one foot was put in Malaya for the Invasion. They agreed passage via a couple of places Songkhla and Pattani. This started one day after Pearl. After some time they would have had realised that they backed the wrong horse.

All academic now of course. Allies 1. Axis 0 and Thailand is still here.

That was a pretty boring conference to say the least... with all the positive statements he made about the wonderful work of Yingyuck on this and that and so on and on, kinda gives the impression that he has absolutely no clue as to what is really happening in Thailand ... Pfff!... over and above the lame priorities and reasons to furthur develop ties with Thailand..

• Like 2

Some might have noticed there was a question and some talk about Thai food at the press conference. Obama mentioned that Thai food is one of his favorites and when asked to mention some specific Thai dishes he copped out and said he likes it all. Diplomatic perhaps but rather weak. So ... do the Obamas really like Thai food all that much? I think they have good taste in food in D.C. and Chicago, but note in this photo list, not ONE Thai restaurant! Some pundits are calling this Green Curry Gate!

My characterization of the US' "pivot" was and still is clumbsy and being advanced faster than natural. Obama knows it, you can see it on his face and hear it in his voice, but this is how disengenous diplomacy goes.

The 1st Thai reporter called Obama out and OB gaffed both of them, then again, he's in a tough spot. The seemingly benign food question served to highlight the fact that Obama is full of it, it was a real zinger IMO. I would be beating the crap out of my Thai cultural advisor later. Hey Prez Obama, just say Pad Thai!

My characterization of the US' "pivot" was and still is clumbsy and being advanced faster than natural. Obama knows it, you can see it on his face and hear it in his voice, but this is how disengenous diplomacy goes.

The 1st Thai reporter called Obama out and OB gaffed both of them, then again, he's in a tough spot. The seemingly benign food question served to highlight the fact that Obama is full of it, it was a real zinger IMO. I would be beating the crap out of my Thai cultural advisor later. Hey Prez Obama, just say Pad Thai!

If it was George Bush, he would have said "Ma-Ma Noodles" or pizza...

Oh dear oh dear oh dear ........................ where do we begin? It's politcis and Obama does his best in the interests of America.

Fine.

But really, having to meet with this third world, strangled inarticulate english speaker from a corrupt dictatorial family really does rank up there with the best of the barrell bottom scrapers.

Unlike Myanmar where progress and change are to be made, unlike a former enemy Vietnam where trade is booming, unlike Cambodia where international justice is being delivered by its own judicial system, Thailand, the never occupied, fought over, compliant, blow with the wind military dominated, politically gridlocked backwater remains the incest riddled cousin you never want to visit.

I actually find Obama's presence embarrassing. I do think he could be better spending his time on world issues, is something happening in Gaza right now, rather than wasting his time here. Apart from using Thailand as an airstrip or most likely an offshore base for some war ship that delivers him to and from the helicopter, the miltary base, Airforce 1 and out of here, I can think of no useful purpose for his visit.

I find it laughable that the Thais in their ingratiating grovelling to this super power offer, and thereby think they can provide any form of security. In reality the US will have ordered the Thai military to stay away or else.

Personally, I do wish Obama had stayed away and thereby sent a much more effective message to the Shinawatra clan; their kind is unwelcome.

One can find "fault" with any country for Obama to visit... The visit is nothing but a symbol to Thais that the USA looks at Thailand is important. If the average Joe in USA had his/her way, they would rather have him in the USA not doing diplomatic PR (except with Israel of course - the USA 51 state). The Republicans would want him to deal with accusations from Fox (Bias) News.

If he had said Pad Thai or green curry, it would sound like he knows very little about Thai food to Thais. If he said something more sophisticated to American ears, he would have sounded like a snobbish Volvo driving foodie, not something Americans value in their presidents (unfortunately). I think a good compromise would have been for him to say he likes Tom Yum Goong even though it wouldn't really impress Thais. Nobody can really object to that and it is well known. Pad Thai would have been the poorest choice to mention. But then what if the dish he mentioned wasn't on the official menu? Awkward. Edited by Jingthing

Oh dear oh dear oh dear ........................ where do we begin? It's politcis and Obama does his best in the interests of America.

Fine.

But really, having to meet with this third world, strangled inarticulate english speaker from a corrupt dictatorial family really does rank up there with the best of the barrell bottom scrapers.

Unlike Myanmar where progress and change are to be made, unlike a former enemy Vietnam where trade is booming, unlike Cambodia where international justice is being delivered by its own judicial system, Thailand, the never occupied, fought over, compliant, blow with the wind military dominated, politically gridlocked backwater remains the incest riddled cousin you never want to visit.

I actually find Obama's presence embarrassing. I do think he could be better spending his time on world issues, is something happening in Gaza right now, rather than wasting his time here. Apart from using Thailand as an airstrip or most likely an offshore base for some war ship that delivers him to and from the helicopter, the miltary base, Airforce 1 and out of here, I can think of no useful purpose for his visit.

I find it laughable that the Thais in their ingratiating grovelling to this super power offer, and thereby think they can provide any form of security. In reality the US will have ordered the Thai military to stay away or else.

Personally, I do wish Obama had stayed away and thereby sent a much more effective message to the Shinawatra clan; their kind is unwelcome.

One can find "fault" with any country for Obama to visit... The visit is nothing but a symbol to Thais that the USA looks at Thailand is important. If the average Joe in USA had his/her way, they would rather have him in the USA not doing diplomatic PR (except with Israel of course - the USA 51 state). The Republicans would want him to deal with accusations from Fox (Bias) News.

I thought it was the other way round: the USA is a province of Israel.

• Like 1

I love the expression (s) on Yingyuck's face when the Bloomberg reporter asked her about Obama requesting prayers from the Monk at Wat Po... she obviously was totally lost and almost in a panic as she summoned someone to come and translate for her..blink.png ...what is she saying...? What did she ask..?? Hellllpppp?? Someone Hellllppp!

It is the typically banal question asked in Thailand, a bit like, "how are you", in English conversation. No one expects a long diatribe as an answer.

What was he supposed to say? "can't stand it, too spicy."