Daily Update For Police Check Points

stevenwalker211278

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought it might come in useful if we all could post when and where the check points are everyday

This will help in us not getting stopped or hassled for fines that should not have been

thanks

You will not get fined if you obey the law!! Wanting to know where checkpoints are is so you can avoid them because you are maybe breaking the law!!

There are some very cynical people on here - I have read many posts about wrongful fines, bad policing etc (obviously in the poster's opinion) - although I do not think a post with that advice would work as the BIB are not in same place long enough due to next tea break or food break.

• Like 2

By the time you post it here, the check-point will probably have packed up and gone.

Not a lot of point. As others have mentioned, if you're legal, why worry about check-points.

I think that the majority of posters on the Phuket sub-forum have been here long enough to be legal.

• Like 1

I can see where the OP is coming from.

For anywhere else in Thailand (don't know why not in Phuket) it is common practice to be stopped for reasons that might seem to be

unwarranted.... smile.png

If you want to object to the charges you can retrieve your driving licence the next day at the local BIB station.

Hardly worthwhile the hassle for the sake of a couple of hundred baht if you are on tour.

sanuk

<snip>

For anywhere else in Thailand (don't know why not in Phuket) it is common practice to be stopped for reasons that might seem to be

Not sure what you mean. Police only fine if 1) no helmet, 2) no valid driving licence, 3) no in date tax sticker .... why is that unwarranted ??.

<snip>

Not sure what you mean. Police only fine if 1) no helmet, 2) no valid driving licence, 3) no in date tax sticker .... why is that unwarranted ??.

This maybe true for Phuket but elsewhere I have been fined for driving with my lights on during day time, breaking the national speed limit while doing less than 60 kph and driving in the right lane whilst I trying to avoid hitting parked check point vehicles in the left lane.

sanuk

Edited by sanuk21

<snip>

This maybe true for Phuket but elsewhere I have been fined for driving with my lights on during day time, breaking the national speed limit while doing less than 60 kph and driving in the right lane whilst I trying to avoid hitting parked check point vehicles in the left lane.

sanuk

there was one on the bypass yesterday just north of tesco/lotus lights but what's the point of posting, by the time you read, they are long gone

i got stopped driving to surat a couple of days ago in a road block. the cop said i was driving fast, i wasn't i always stick to 100. i was polite but adamant, in Thai with lots of khrap, that i never drive over 100 and he let me go.

What a bunch of goody two shoes....

All law abiding citezens i'm sure...

Will see what hapens when you get fined for having beer on your breath eh...??

Oh the goody two shoes on here never have a few coldies and go for a motor bike ride..??

Give me a break, Always good to know where these roadblocks are set up even if for a little bit as then we know where not to drive..

I see no reason for rudeness, the majority of people have never been fined for doing the right thing, the majority of people would not go out of there way to avoid a police roadblock, if everything is in order you have nothing to fear, obviously we can not comment on other parts of Thailand, I have been stopped a few times since being in Phuket and have never had a problem, in fact I welcome the roadblocks seeing all the idiots without helmets being fined!! How on earth has a poster been fined for driving in the day with lights on? All motorbikes have lights on and so do many cars as standard!! It is also correct that posting the whereabouts of roadblocks on here would be a waste of time as by the time people read the post the roadblocks will be closed down.

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

Sometimes they want to do it very fast and they will find a reason to give you fine no matter what.

Only if you're doing something wrong.

Paying on the spot, without a receipt, maybe

Never ever encountered that on Phuket.

Oh the goody two shoes on here never have a few coldies and go for a motor bike ride..??

Give me a break, Always good to know where these roadblocks are set up even if for a little bit as then we know where not to drive..

I see nothing wrong with being a law abiding citizen! You mention alcohol and being stopped and fined, is drinking and driving one of the reasons why people want to know the location of roadblocks? Would you drink and drive in your home country? Why do you want to avoid a roadblock? Is there heavy traffic associated with these roadblocks please explain?

Edited by dogpoo

If you are driving drunk you deserve everything the law can throw at you plus some. I do not understand how you can warrant the death of innocents by not being a "goody two shoes" as you put it.

I see no reason for rudeness, the majority of people have never been fined for doing the right thing, the majority of people would not go out of there way to avoid a police roadblock, if everything is in order you have nothing to fear, obviously we can not comment on other parts of Thailand but on Phuket I have been stopped many times and have never had a problem, in fact I welcome the roadblocks seeing all the idiots without helmets being fined!! How on earth has a poster been fined for driving in the day with lights on? All motorbikes have lights on and so do many cars as standard!! It is also correct that posting the whereabouts of roadblocks on here would be a waste of time as by the time people read the post the roadblocks will be closed down.

If you were to use the terminology, "the majority of expats" or "majority of members on TV" then I would agree with you, however, you use the terminology "the majority of people" and I have to disagree.

The majority of traffic around the tourist areas on the island are tourists, and the majority of those tourists do not have a Thai driving/riding licence and/or an International Driving Permit. Many of the younger ones hire a motorbike and many of the couples/families hire a small car at some stage of their holiday, usually after they pay 400 baht in a tuk-tuk just to go down the road and then see a sign "mororbike for rent 200 baht" or after they have paid 1600 baht in tuk-tuks for the day, and then see the sign "car for rent 1000 baht."

There was a thread recently about a police road block down the coast. Most foreigners being stopped were being fined for not having a licence. No intoxication involved, many wearing their helmet, not speeding, vehicle had tax and insurance up to date, but no Thai licence, so they were fined.

It's a big ask to have a 2 week tourist go to The Land Transport Office to get a licence just for their holiday. Yes, they were breaking the law, but fining tourists for not having a Thai licence is just revenue raising.

That said, they really shouldn't be driving/riding unlicensed as is voids their travel insurance in the event of an accident.

You state a "majority of people do not go out of their way to avoid a road block" - I agree with this, but, have you ever seen how many Thai's stop and do a U-Turn when they see a road block? I would say, around 3 out of 10 (30%) do not continue through the road block. So, not the majority, but a a high percentage.

I made the comment in the other thread that if the police are going to start fining tourist for not having a Thai licence, it will probably push a lot of them back into the tuk-tuks. I personally witnessed a young guy handing back a rental motorbike and asking for a refund after he was fined at that road block for not having a Thai licence.

Edited by NamKangMan

I see no reason for rudeness, the majority of people have never been fined for doing the right thing, the majority of people would not go out of there way to avoid a police roadblock, if everything is in order you have nothing to fear, obviously we can not comment on other parts of Thailand but on Phuket I have been stopped many times and have never had a problem, in fact I welcome the roadblocks seeing all the idiots without helmets being fined!! How on earth has a poster been fined for driving in the day with lights on? All motorbikes have lights on and so do many cars as standard!! It is also correct that posting the whereabouts of roadblocks on here would be a waste of time as by the time people read the post the roadblocks will be closed down.

If you were to use the terminology, "the majority of expats" or "majority of members on TV" then I would agree with you, however, you use the terminology "the majority of people" and I have to disagree.

The majority of traffic around the tourist areas on the island are tourists, and the majority of those tourists do not have a Thai driving/riding licence and/or an International Driving Permit. Many of the younger ones hire a motorbike and many of the couples/families hire a small car at some stage of their holiday, usually after they pay 400 baht in a tuk-tuk just to go down the road and then see a sign "mororbike for rent 200 baht" or after they have paid 1600 baht in tuk-tuks for the day, and then see the sign "car for rent 1000 baht."

There was a thread recently about a police road block down the coast. Most foreigners being stopped were being fined for not having a licence. No intoxication involved, many wearing their helmet, not speeding, vehicle had tax and insurance up to date, but no Thai licence, so they were fined.

It's a big ask to have a 2 week tourist go to The Land Transport Office to get a licence just for their holiday. Yes, they were breaking the law, but fining tourists for not having a Thai licence is just revenue raising.

That said, they really shouldn't be driving/riding unlicensed as is voids their travel insurance in the event of an accident.

You state a "majority of people do not go out of their way to avoid a road block" - I agree with this, but, have you ever seen how many Thai's stop and do a U-Turn when they see a road block? I would say, around 3 out of 10 (30%) do not continue through the road block. So, not the majority, but a a high percentage.

I made the comment in the other thread that if the police are going to start fining tourist for not having a Thai licence, it will probably push a lot of them back into the tuk-tuks. I personally witnessed a young guy handing back a rental motorbike and asking for a refund after he was fined at that road block for not having a Thai licence.

Are you saying the international license you get from your home country before you travel abroad is useless? There is no excuse for not having a license, if you are coming on holiday you apply for the international driving license which is excepted here!!

Edited by dogpoo