Postgirl's 7-ton Pile Of Letters

george

A POSTIE faces jail after she admitted hoarding more than 7.5 TONS of mail.

0,,2006061188,00.jpg

Lisa Harvey ... faces jail for hoard

For SIX YEARS Lisa Harvey stashed a mountain of 111,000 letters and parcels at her home instead of delivering them.

Investigators found piles of mail stacked to the ceiling and needed a 7½-ton truck AND a van to remove it all.

A court was told staff then spent weeks trying to deliver the items to astonished recipients.

One woman got a funeral bill for her mum who had died in 2000.

Another received a letter from her Royal Marine grandson five years after he sent it when on duty in Sierra Leone.

A 74-year-old man got a hospital appointment for December 1999.

And another man got 75 different items of mail including personal and business letters and share certificates.

The Post Office is now trying to sort out three claims for compensation.

Yesterday Harvey, of Plymouth, Devon, admitted stealing mail between 1999 and 2005 and delaying the delivery of post.

The court heard the 31-year-old was fascinated with other peoples’ mail — particularly official-looking letters — which she took home and opened.

One investigator said the thefts were among the largest ever known.

They added: “It’s surprising that it went on for so long without more complaints but that might be because many of the items were the sort people would not have wanted to receive.

“Many were summonses or communications from bailiffs and official mail of that sort.”

Plymouth Crown Court adjourned sentencing for reports but Judge Paul Darlow told her: “All options are open.”

--thesun.co.uk 2006-02-11

One woman got a funeral bill for her mum who had died in 2000.

Another received a letter from her Royal Marine grandson five years after he sent it when on duty in Sierra Leone.

A 74-year-old man got a hospital appointment for December 1999.

And another man got 75 different items of mail including personal and business letters and share certificates.

While everybody else received a Post Office circular promising a faster and more reliable service for 1983. :o

The court heard the 31-year-old was fascinated with other peoples’ mail — particularly official-looking letters — which she took home and opened.

Especially those "official-looking" letters that contained money I'll bet, and everything that looked like birthday/christmas cards, or felt like they had credit cards in them. Wonder how much money she acquired with "her fascination" ?

They could offer her a job in the Thai postal service, it might improve the successful delivery rate :o
I have always found the Thai postal service excellent. If letters from Warrington UK take too long to arrive in Udornthani Thailand, I bet the delay is on the UK side.

Regular air mail Camorino Switzerland to Bangkok Thailand: 3 days

Registered air mail: 4 days.

--------------

Maestro

She could have at least invested in a shredder and could have recycled the stuff... I wonder if she'll get mail in jail?

Reminds me of some guys I knew who had a delivery run for flyers and a free local newspaper. They got caught when city crews pulled out loads and loads of paper bundles from clogged culverts in the neighbourhood. :o