Annoying Bkk Bank - New Debit Cards Only Work In Their Atms

I left my BKK bank debit card in an ATM. No harm done. Called to cancel. No funds lost.

Went in to the Asadeng Branch in Korat (my "home" branch) to get a replacement. No problem. But, as I'm getting the card the clerk mentions that new debit cards only work in Bangkok Bank ATMs.

Huh? How could they possibly do that?

Yep. My new card works fine in Bangkok Bank ATMs, but not in any other.

As I said, annoying, very annoying.

I suspect you have the new Be1st Smart Card rather than the normal Visa debit cards. As that uses a special microchip to prevent access from home made cards suspect only Bangkok Bank has the ATM's set up for them. They state on website you can have a normal version at the same time so have you asked Bank about that? Here in Bangkok it is not much of an issue if had to use only there ATM's but understand upcountry it could be a real pain. Not a friendly action by that bank branch if you had no choice in the matter.

• Like 1

I have one with the chip, same reason, they said they didn't have the normal ones anymore..

However, was of the impression they are just waiting for new supplies!

This is correct. What we were told at the Korat branch was wrong. My wife called the call center and found that they are still producing the old style cards. All I have to do is go to a branch that has some and I can get one.

When my G/F opened account at BKB she was issued with one of these cards. They told her this was the way forward with more security. This was almost two years ago.

We went for a weekend away at ampawha floating market carrying very little cash because we would be using ATM`S, however it was soon squeeky bum time when we discovered it did not work in other banks ATM`S but luckily after much walking round we found a bkb branch. So as Lopburi says, beware if you are travelling outside of Bangkok.

AND those B1st cards with a chip , DONT work in ALL Bangkok ATM's either. It has to be a B1st ATM.

Grrrrrr!

Yes, I believe BKK Bank says the chipped card is supposed to work with "most" of their ATM machines. But "most" isn't particularly good, especially when their chipped card WON'T work with any other Thai bank ATMs or those outside Thailand in many places.

I've never seen any numbers reported on what percentage or number of their own ATMs the chipped card WON'T work in. Perhaps it's something the bank isn't especially anxious to advertise...

That may explain somewhat why my gf had her BKK Bank debit card eaten by a Siam Comm ATM about 2 weeks ago and they told her at the Main BKK Bank branch in Suk Rd that she couldn't get it returned and if she wanted another one then to go to a BKK Bank outside of Bangkok .

I remember reading many times that folks would use their ATM cards to withdraw back in their home country.

Curious if this means that is no longer possible? Or have they upgraded to a system

that is also used in Western Countries?

BKK Bank's non chipped VISA debit cards should work fine at other ATMs in most other countries, though they do charge a foreign currency fee of, I believe, 2.5%.

The chipped version, not sure if it will work anywhere outside BKK Bank's own ATMs.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

it is the white cards that they issue that can only be used in their ATM's. I had to get a replacement card a few months ago, and actually liked the look of the card, instead of the blue crappy one, just before the woman gave it to me she told me that they only work in their own ATM's, so I declined and asked her to issue the normal blue one.

I actually changed to a chipped card with BKK Bank because they are more secure My main account is with SCB but I stopped using an ATM card with them because of skimming and now transfer funds to the BBL account with the chipped card. Yes it a little more inconvenient but better than having money missing from your account due to skimming which has become a big problem in Thailand and many other countries.

Ms R had a long discussion with one of the Bangkok Bank call center people about these cards. She was told that each branch has a quota for the number of new, "chipped" cards they must issue during the month. In other words, they have a hidden incentive to be less-than-truthful about the availability of the non-chipped cards.

I guess that accounts for the tale we were told about the old cards no longer being produced.

As I said in the OP, annoying, very annoying.

it is the white cards that they issue that can only be used in their ATM's. I had to get a replacement card a few months ago, and actually liked the look of the card, instead of the blue crappy one, just before the woman gave it to me she told me that they only work in their own ATM's, so I declined and asked her to issue the normal blue one.

Not exactly.

Mine is in the standard blue be1st colors, and it'll only work in bkk bank atm's.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

AND those B1st cards with a chip , DONT work in ALL Bangkok ATM's either. It has to be a B1st ATM.

Grrrrrr!

Yes, I believe BKK Bank says the chipped card is supposed to work with "most" of their ATM machines. But "most" isn't particularly good, especially when their chipped card WON'T work with any other Thai bank ATMs or those outside Thailand in many places.

I've never seen any numbers reported on what percentage or number of their own ATMs the chipped card WON'T work in. Perhaps it's something the bank isn't especially anxious to advertise...

Up till now I haven't come accross a bkk bank atm not capable of taking the chip cards.

It's likely a bigger problem upcountry.

I initially planned on changing to the regular card once available, but now actually prefer the added security.

I now know the location of most bkk bank atm's in the area and just plan a little better...

Not exactly.

Mine is in the standard blue be1st colors, and it'll only work in bkk bank atm's.

And mine is the BTS white debit Visa card and works everywhere.