Benz A Class Takes On Golf Gti, Scirocco, Bmw, Mini Cooper S Etc

• 2 weeks later...

@FGIS

at least in the case of the golf GTI vs. 1 series vs. Benz A class, it is because in many measures, the golf is simply a better performing nicer car. And here while it carries an import higher price, it is still priced lower.

Golf GTI (mark 6, assume mark 7 roughly similar price) 2.35mb incl. reversing sensors, sunroof, 3 years maintenance

Benz A Class 250 2.49mb (2.63mb incl. reversing sensors, sunroof, benz doesn't do maintenance deals like BMW or VW)

BMW 1 series 3.xmb currently (expect this to drop next year when they start bringing in the new 1 series, assume it will be around Cooper S pricing i.e. 2.8-2.9mb

I do hear you though, the Benz A Class I have to admit blew me away with interior quality, it has that wonderful luxury feel that the BMW seems to lack, from seats to materials to even the vents which are perfectly balanced and seem to be all soft touch to adjust; if there wasn't a 6 month delay and such average reviews for driving, I would have reserved the A250 at the motorshow; it felt that nice inside.

Then again, Golf mark 7 and the BMW 1 series are only 12 months away too. Shame the Scirocco is another year beyond that (at least).

On paper the A250 and the Golf are very close, but for hot hatches, the Golf really is the leader in the Euro standard hatches at the moment other than the RS3/M1 etc type cars which are in a different league performance and price wise.

From a depreciation perspective, hard to go past a benz or BMW, surprising how big the price difference between the two at entry level is at the moment (BMW car for car is a far bit higher priced at an entry level, then further up the range they are about even.

Thank you for your message.

Bmw 3 series is a lot more expensive than Benz C-class ?

And Bmw 1 Series will be launched in Thailand next year ? It will compete wih Benz A-class ?

Do you know anything about the new C-class 2014 ?

Thanks a lot !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How much did you pay it ?

And you had to wait 5 months ?

Anything free or no need to discuss with the dealer ?

Still waiting for CLA but as Benz Thailand still don't know when it will be available not sure I can wait.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I spent the lunchtime working and reading reviews from What Car which slams the Benz in a major way (2 stars out of 5 vs. Golf GTI 5 stars, Scirrocco 4 stars, Audi A3 4 stars) for suspect gear changing, excessively harsh ride, excessive body roll. Big props to the Benz for interior, design but it is (according to that review) just not as polished as the Golf or Audi (who are both long term players in this segment).

Certainly makes the Mini a little more suspect; I actually get a great pleasure out of driving a proper manual rather than some slush box even though the DSG dual clutch you have in the golf GTI is supposedly the best out there and I quite liked it in the test drives...if the Benz is worse than that this would be a bit of a deal breaker for me as would the handling if it is as described in the reviews.

Definitely looks the part though.

I suspect someone is comparing a fully worked import fiesta like what you can get in USA apparently, but is not available here

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/03/2012-ford-fiesta-st-with-180ps-turbo.html

Looks very sweet, but the Skoda worked by MTM would still be quicker, just as the top of the line Golf/Scirocco etc are quicker than the worked focus (also not available here); sort of as you would expect for the price I guess.

Maybe you can adjust the programming in the gearbox with MTM, ABT or APR? Hard to say really, I still think the dual clutch is the best solution for inner city driving but still a 2nd place vs. a proper manual car with a few modifications as we have both done with our minis (and your golf as well).

• Like 1

Maybe you can adjust the programming in the gearbox with MTM, ABT or APR? Hard to say really, I still think the dual clutch is the best solution for inner city driving but still a 2nd place vs. a proper manual car with a few modifications as we have both done with our minis (and your golf as well).

This............

Edited by WarpSpeed