Oa Retirement Visa - Arrived In Thailand...now What?

More and more I'm getting the value of my O-A visa from this thread. it also seems so much easier to have worked it out while I was in my home country and not dealing with the day to day issues of navigating new geography, language and culture.

Thank you

• Like 1

Just now saw your question in regards to bank accounts. I have a normal checking account with Bank of America with online capabilities, and a normal savings account with Bangkok Bank. Just took a few minutes to set up using Bangkok Banks instructions.

Edited by beechguy

• 3 months later...

Sorry folks.

I'm the OP and didn't realize this topic had more messages. I was in Vietnam for a few months (realizing it wasn't for me and prefer Thailand) and for some reason didn't get messsages about additional posts on here.

I think the topic is covered, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their assistance. It's been great to have the information here about my O-A visa and that was a part of my coming back to LOS

Your assistance is appreciated.

Someone wrote:

Each U.S. bank has very specific rules. Most U.S. banks do NOT allow online SWIFT transfers.

Citi does. The money is credited the same day, minus various fees both sides.

May I add another thing. I've read this thread as many others on the subject. I'm still TOTALLY confused. Maybe a flowchart would help.

Edited by paz

Someone wrote:

Each U.S. bank has very specific rules. Most U.S. banks do NOT allow online SWIFT transfers.

May I add another thing. I've read this thread as many others on the subject. I'm still TOTALLY confused. Maybe a flowchart would help.

Yes, Citibank does but I found their security screenings a horror show.

I would understand that if you were transferring to different named accounts. But talking here about my account in the USA to my account in Thailand --- same name. How could that be fraud?

Edited by Jingthing

Dingo, Helpful tips

When ever you change your "residence", meaning what Immigration will considers your permanent residence, you will have to report to Immigration the residence change within 24 hours or you can get fined. You can find all the forms here on ThaiVisa. You will need a copy of your new lease. Very simple procedure just takes time at local Immigration office where your new residence is..

After 6 months you will need a Thai drivers license if you plan on driving. It's very handy to have because it shows Thais you "live" here and are often give the Thai price. Hope you got an International drivers license before you left. You can get one here, check around and ask. Otherwise you;ll need to take the most ridiculousness driving test.

Your passport! Lock it up and do not carry it or ever give it you anyone for collateral. Make a color credit card size copy of the main page and your Visa stamp page. Laminate them back to back and carry it.

Try to learn the language! Also you can not work on a Retirement Visa...period...not worth getting caught?

Just have fun!

es, Citibank does but I found their security screenings a horror show.

Someone wrote:

I would understand that if you were transferring to different named accounts. But talking here about my account in the USA to my account in Thailand --- same name. How could that be fraud?

I've transferred multiple times to both my own and third party, without ever triggering screening. So far, I've not even been asked the additional one-time code that requires a phone call. What'm a little pissed about now is the additional $15 fee that neither bank admits to be have taken, and at the same time they don't even say if a correspondent back took it. Sorry to be off topic.

Edited by paz

I would just like to echo the thanks the OP offered for everyone's expertise. Not only does the OP benefit - but so many of us who are reading the thread - I know my transition into a retirement extension was so much more straight-forward because of this forum. Kudos and Encomiums for your contribution.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a non immigrant multiple entry O visa (retirement in my case) issued by the Thai Embassy in Washington, DC . It has an issue date of 07/18/2012. It also has a "enter before" date of 7/17/2013. It has NO expiration date. So, when does it expire? Do my multiple entries have to occur before 7/17/2013? I do not understand how the visa expiration date, date for last entry on this visa, and the date stamp I receive at the airport tie together. Will someone knowledgable please help explain all of this? Many thanks.

I seriously doubt you have a multi entry non immigrant O visa for retirement issued by Embassy. The normal retirement visa from Embassy is non immigrant O-A which receives a one year permitted to stay on any entry made before midnight on the enter before date. You did receive a one year permitted to stay on entry? If you do again on July 16 this year you will get a permitted to stay until July 2014.

Thanks for responding quickly. You are right, my visa is an O-A.

I entered Thailand October 12, 2012, so if I do not leave and re-enter Thailand before July 17, 2013 (the "enter by" date on my visa), my visa will expire on October 11, 2012 at midnight. Is this correct?

If I leave Thailand and return on July 16, 2013, my visa is automatically extended until midnight July 15, 2014. Is this correct?

Thanks

No. Your visa expires on the enter before date of 7/17/2013. You now seem to have a permitted to stay until Oct 12, 2013 so you must leave then or before or extend at immigration.

Your permitted to stay will be allowed to July 15, 2014 if you make a return on July 16 this year. Just remember that any travel after expiration of your visa on July 17 this year will require a re-entry permit to return to complete your permitted to stay time.

• 3 weeks later...

My O-A visa with Multiple entrys was issued 12/7 2012, i entered Thailand 30/8 2012 first time on visa. Last entry was 19/4 2013 so i have visa until 18/4 2014. . Now i will leave Thailand on May 15 for 3 months, return 15/8 2013.

Questions, Will i have to buy re-entry visa since visa was issued in july 2012 or is it the first entry in August 30 that counts.

How much is a re-entry visa single or Multiple_

Where do i get those re-entry visas, airport?

My O-A visa with Multiple entrys was issued 12/7 2012, i entered Thailand 30/8 2012 first time on visa. Last entry was 19/4 2013 so i have visa until 18/4 2014. . Now i will leave Thailand on May 15 for 3 months, return 15/8 2013.

Questions, Will i have to buy re-entry visa since visa was issued in july 2012 or is it the first entry in August 30 that counts.

How much is a re-entry visa single or Multiple_

Where do i get those re-entry visas, airport?

It is the "enter before" date on your visa that counts. As it was issued on 12 JUL 2012 the enter before date probably is 11 JUL 2013 and therefore the visa would no longer be valid for an entry on 15 AUG 2013. Therefore, get a re-entry permit before you leave Thailand, on your return to Thailand enter the re-entry permit number on the arrival card in the field for visa number, and you will again be given permission to stay until 18 APR 2014.

It is best to get the re-entry permit at your local immigration office but in an emergency you can also get it at Bankok airport. Note, however, that at Suvarnabhumi the re-entry permit counter is not open the whole night.

This thread has been very helpfull and thank u for everyone that has posted with good knowledge. I have a question that I hope can be answered here.

My history in Thailand as I now live here full time.

I entered thailand on a cat "B' multi visa 11 march 2010 ( visa valid 2 March 10 to 1 March 10 )

Returned to Uk, 16 Nov 10, Returned to Thailand 26 Nov 11. Bought new cat 'O' multi visa in Uk ( valid 19 Nov 10 to 18 Nov 11 )

Purchased retirement visa valid to 18 Dec 12.

Entered Uk 10 June 12, returned to Thailand 22 June 12

As I didnt' know or have a rentry permitt lost the retirement visa and was given 30 days.

Purchsed cat 'O' multi visa in malaysia valid till 28 July 13.

I definatley want a retirement visa this time ( 28 July 13 and on )

My questions are.

1. Can I get an OA visa now with the year option, as I have already had one retirement visa ?

2. If so can I get this in Thailand or do I have to go to the UK ?

Thank u for any advice

Foggy1

All you need is the one year extension of stay for retirment as you previously had - that is the retirement visa in most people vocabulary. There is no actual retirement visa - the non immigrant O-A Long Stay is the closest thing and actually indicates a pre-approved one year extension for retirement as you had obtained within Thailand previously. For the O-A you would have to return to UK to obtain. But you have the required O visa entry so early July go to immigration with financials and get a one year extension of stay for retirement (TM.7 form and 1,900 baht fee) and this time buy a re-entry permit at 1,000 single or 3,800 if you plan a lot of trips, for the multi re-entry permit.

1. Yes you can get a new retirement extension of stay and continue to do so.

2. Immigration within Thailand serving the location you live.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...