Opposition Sleuths: Outrageous Thai Govt Graft Uncovered

webfact

Good for the Opposition for exposing some of the corruption, this rather makes the point, as to why votes of censure are worth having, even though the outcome (party-MPs voting for their 'leader') is a foregone conclusion.

Cue posts claiming that this is still all OK, because it's what the people voted for, if only by a narrow majority. rolleyes.gif

Any Opposition should be doing this sort of thing, unfortunately the PTP couldn't really be bothered, when they were out-of-power. They should learn from this democratic example, and try harder to follow it, next time they're on the Opposition-benches ! wink.png

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this will only change when MP's and other government officials are not above the law. Amazing to me that all this corruption,

stealing from the people, and terrorist acts such as threatening to burn Bangkok cannot be dealt with because the people that committed

and are committed these crimes are above the law and immune. How "<deleted>" ridiculous! wai.gif

Look guys it's blatently obvious that deocracy doesn't work in Thailand at this point, all it does is vote a handful of thugs into government to pillage what they can from the Thai people under some cloak of secrecy corruption lies and deception, Thailand suffers the good thai people suffer and the country gets no further along

It needs to stop, I only wish the most repected family in the land wasn't in a position to do something about it

We can post thousands of opinions and arguments on here about this and that but the reality is ........obvious

Look guys it's blatently obvious that deocracy doesn't work in Thailand at this point, all it does is vote a handful of thugs into government to pillage what they can from the Thai people under some cloak of secrecy corruption lies and deception, Thailand suffers the good thai people suffer and the country gets no further along

It needs to stop, I only wish the most repected family in the land wasn't in a position to do something about it

We can post thousands of opinions and arguments on here about this and that but the reality is ........obvious

"the most respected family in the land"

I wasn't aware the Shinawats were the most respected.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"the most respected family in the land"

I wasn't aware the Shinawats were the most respected.thumbsup.gif

I think Smedly meant... 'It needs to stop, I only wish the most repected family in the land WAS in a position to do something about it'. And not about the Thaskin family either.

Edited by suanpai

The faux argument that all governments are corrupt is, as usual, totted out by PTP defenders. That there is some corruption in all governments, I can accept. But the blatant style by the current mob here is second only to the Thaksin way when he was in power locally.

The worst thing is that Thaksin selects the cabinet based on two criteria: his family & how corrupt is an individual. Too often the individual is both.

Corruption will never be eliminated but it should be curtailed as far as possible by the checks & balances within a (half-) democracy. Unfortunately it's just not happening & I feel great sorrow for Thailand.

• Like 2

I would concede that there is corruption in all governments, BUT, Thailand's present government seems to be setting a new record in realative amounts skimmed vs the individual budgets alloted for the benifit of the people/country. As mentioned, its seems the corruption has grown to such a large scale throughout the system (top to bottom) that no individual nor minority groups know how to find a solution, which could be termed demoratic.

We are still hearing the worn out, over used term, a committee is looking into allagations, ongoing investigation, etc,give them/us time. There have been indications that vast sums have already been skimmed and more are being lost every day these people have their system in place, It appears so widespread that those in leadership positions are going to have to brought to account, in a very hard way, if it is to be slowed down to an acceptable level.

The faux argument that all governments are corrupt is, as usual, totted out by PTP defenders. That there is some corruption in all governments, I can accept. But the blatant style by the current mob here is second only to the Thaksin way when he was in power locally.

The worst thing is that Thaksin selects the cabinet based on two criteria: his family & how corrupt is an individual. Too often the individual is both.

Corruption will never be eliminated but it should be curtailed as far as possible by the checks & balances within a (half-) democracy. Unfortunately it's just not happening & I feel great sorrow for Thailand.

You can't accept that all governments are corrupt but can accept that there is corruption in all governments...blink.png

Corruption is endemic here and it's unlikely to change in the foreseeable future as it's such a part of even daily life. Nothing gets done here without some form of bribery, concession, backhander or whatever.

One of the reasons that it won't change is that from the bottom up, people all want the chance to get their own slice of the pie and they hope that one day they will be in a position to be able to get it. Until then, they accept things as they are as a way or fact of life.

You can't accept that all governments are corrupt but can accept that there is corruption in all governments...blink.png

Brilliant sleuthing Watson. You don't know the difference between a corrupt government (e.g. PTP) and a government with a small level of corruption (Germany's)? Admittedly my wording was not clear, but others seemed to understand the meaning.

Play nice Ken. By definition a Government with some level of corruption is a corrupt Government. Think about it.

And yes, before you ask I believe corruption is rife in the current administration as it was in the previous one. They are good examples of corrupt Governments. Germany I would also class as a corrupt Government and on a scale that eclipses anything that the Thais are capable of due to their influence over other EU countries.

Edited by Ferangled

To put into scientific/electronics terms - after the on/off switch comes frequency and amplitude controls.

Yes, it happens. Rarely does it happen so often, to such a degree, or with such disregard for the lack of subtlety. Well done corruption often goes undetected. Thailand's version is akin to being bludgeoned, raped and left bleeding and naked in the street.

To put into scientific/electronics terms - after the on/off switch comes frequency and amplitude controls.

Yes, it happens. Rarely does it happen so often, to such a degree, or with such disregard for the lack of subtlety. Well done corruption often goes undetected. Thailand's version is akin to being bludgeoned, raped and left bleeding and naked in the street.

What on earth are you banging on about Mick?!

As to your analogy, I'd say Thailand is more cordial, in your face corruption than the dagger in the back type of corruption we see in the West. If we were comparing corruption to violent sexual crimes in a rather bizarre & clumsy fashion, I'd say Thailand is more a blow job from a street hooker while the US is more a gang rape in a back alley at gun point.

• Like 1

Brilliant sleuthing Watson. You don't know the difference between a corrupt government (e.g. PTP) and a government with a small level of corruption (Germany's)? Admittedly my wording was not clear, but others seemed to understand the meaning.

Play nice Ken. By definition a Government with some level of corruption is a corrupt Government. Think about it.

And yes, before you ask I believe corruption is rife in the current administration as it was in the previous one. They are good examples of corrupt Governments.

No, a government with a small level of corruption is not a corrupt government. My definition of a corrupt government is one where the level of corruption is greater than the level of honesty - like PTP (in spades). The previous one was nowhere near that level. Sweeping statements make it easy to disengage the thinking process.

What on earth are you banging on about Mick?!

As to your analogy, I'd say Thailand is more cordial, in your face corruption than the dagger in the back type of corruption we see in the West. If we were comparing corruption to violent sexual crimes in a rather bizarre & clumsy fashion, I'd say Thailand is more a blow job from a street hooker while the US is more a gang rape in a back alley at gun point.

Mr Impartial will never accept outright criticism of "his" government. there is nothing cordial, pleasant or voluntary in the level of theft from the public purse in this country. perhaps I should have added "drugged" to my scenario as many thais seem to believe it isn't happening to them.

No, a government with a small level of corruption is not a corrupt government. My definition of a corrupt government is one where the level of corruption is greater than the level of honesty - like PTP (in spades). The previous one was nowhere near that level. Sweeping statements make it easy to disengage the thinking process.

Insert face palm here... ok Ken, I'll take it slowly for you... you can have a corrupt Government that is a little corrupt and another that is very corrupt. They are both corrupt Governments by definition! A police force that is a little corrupt is still corrupt... is the penny slowly dropping?

Think of it in these terms Ken, you have a small pecker but you're still a man aren't you?

Yes but the PTP is corrupt and incompetent.

Mr Impartial will never accept outright criticism of "his" government. there is nothing cordial, pleasant or voluntary in the level of theft from the public purse in this country. perhaps I should have added "drugged" to my scenario as many thais seem to believe it isn't happening to them.

Never critical of this administration eh?! Right-o, if I don't agree with everything you say hook, line and sinker I must be a Thaksin supporting, red shirt... rational to the end!

I'd venture that, as recent polls have shown, most Thais are only too well aware that corruption is rife in this country, the Government being no exception and rather than drugged they are simply willing participants, and are working on the assumption that this lot are the best of a bad bunch.

I just checked to see if I'd made a faux pas in my previous post & I see the above. This is a warning, any more like this & you're on report.

The arrogance was not in your really silly throwaway line but in the first paragraph. You don't know me (thankfully) any you have no right to comment on any part of me.

Your last two posts were an attempted put-down (i.e. total arrogance). You've failed other than displaying the low quality of your posts - for all to see.

Ken, I appreciate your sensitivity and with this in mind will refrain from further exchanges with you. It was a childish reference and pointless "discussion". Let's hope it all disappears into glittery internet dust and the moderators are lenient.

Kindly refrain from future exchanges, I'll return the favour and enjoy Loy Krathong wai2.gif

Never critical of this administration eh?! Right-o, if I don't agree with everything you say hook, line and sinker I must be a Thaksin supporting, red shirt... rational to the end!

I'd venture that, as recent polls have shown, most Thais are only too well aware that corruption is rife in this country, the Government being no exception and rather than drugged they are simply willing participants, and are working on the assumption that this lot are the best of a bad bunch.

In all due respect you venture wrong but that is to be expected.

With all due respect I don't believe either you or I or anyone else for that matter are in a position to definitively say what most Thais think, only speculate...coffee1.gif

With all due respect I don't believe either you or I or anyone else for that matter are in a position to definitively say what most Thais think, only speculate...coffee1.gif

Well said, my dear chap. Still it doesn't stop people and posters from clearly stating as fact that 'everyone knowns' that this is true. wink.png

Do people really expect them to put there family and friends in jail for graft?

This is a very critical point, and the answer is NO, they will investigate their own, and NO they will NOT ever introduce strong legislation to counter corruption, collusion, etc.

Which is why nothing will happen until the public at large, with a structured appraoch, stands up, reveals all with details and with names and demands change.

Plus hopefully strong credible comparisons of what the stolen taxpayers funds could have bought. e.g. 1). 20 schools for 200 children with modern facilities, 2). Additional teacher training programs for 500 teachers. 3). 20 new / upgraded hospitals, etc etc. 4). Modern instrastructure to support decentralization of say 5,000 jobs, etc etc.

NO they will NOT ever introduce strong legislation to counter corruption, collusion, etc.

For a very good reason.

They are to busy introducing legisslation to increase corruption. I wonder how even Yingluck with all her Shinwatra trainiing could have kept a straight face when she was quoted as saying.

"she repeatedly announced her government would suppress graft as part of its "Stop Corruption" campaign.

How is bringing Thaksin back a free and clear man going to help stop corruption?

That is what her government is primarily concerned with.

I bet it took them a week to find her a helicopter incapable of night flying.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

[/quot]

A sure sign that some one has no idea of what they are talking about is when they have to rely on Thai Polls.

Thailand the hub of what do you want proof of we will run a poll and prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt.Yes in all likelihood most Thais do approve of corruption. But what is unsaid is that they know nothing of the depth and money involved in the government level. You say corruption to them and they think of the cop who took a 200 baht bribe to avoid a 400 baht fine.

The average Thai is not capable of thinking of money in the amount the politicians steal from them.