Off To Vietnam. . .

ThailandNeil

If in HCMC buy your ticket for the taxi from a counter before you leave the front airport doors. Otherwise you'll get accosted by the taxi scammers where they try to fit you in with a group of strangers at 500,000 VND each and drop each person off one by one at their respective hotels. The going rate to the city was approximately 125,000-150,000 VND last I was there.

Stick with Vinasun or Mai Linh taxis and look out for the taxis that are pretending to be one of those. A few friends of mine were ripped off. Some photos of what the cabs look like here: http://www.runawaybrit.com/2012/05/28/how-to-avoid-saigons-rip-off-taxis-a-comprehensive-guide-2/

Other that this have a great time. I usually stay in district 1 in the Dong Khoi area near the Opera House as I like to walk and the pavements are wide and plenty to eat around.

Good luck trying to cross the streetlaugh.png

The motorcycle and cyclo touts are major scam artist. They'll show you a laminated card with places to show you. "How much," you ask. "Up to you," they answer. You quote them a reasonable price. At the end of your journey they tell triple or quadruple your original bid then pull out the laminated card again and fold it open - never shown at the start - showing the astronomical price listings. Tell them to fold open the whole card. Or, just walk or rent a bike. Viet Scam artist. Sad, really, because the people are genuinely very sweet - makes Thailand look like Russia. I'm still in culture shock on my return to BKKblink.png

while HCMC is always worth a visit Hanoi is the place to go...get yerself a cheap hotel in the old town near the lake and take walks in the area...stop at a cafe or to get cheap draft beer at a 'bia hoi' sidewalk place...most folks are friendly...

you can experiment with the local food, pho bo in the am and bun bo at night are OK and the Loteria burger places do a good one; also try one of the famous Ba Mi sandwiches from the lady with the cart with lovely fresh bread...

the tourist attractions outside Hanoi are worthwhile...it's a very scenic place...

while HCMC is always worth a visit Hanoi is the place to go...get yerself a cheap hotel in the old town near the lake and take walks in the area...stop at a cafe or to get cheap draft beer at a 'bia hoi' sidewalk place...most folks are friendly...

you can experiment with the local food, pho bo in the am and bun bo at night are OK and the Loteria burger places do a good one; also try one of the famous Ba Mi sandwiches from the lady with the cart with lovely fresh bread...

the tourist attractions outside Hanoi are worthwhile...it's a very scenic place...

I find that Ha Noi has a vaguely French charm while Ho Chi Minh City is more American brashness but I don't know HCMC as well as HN.

Never been but I knew a Chinese American older guy who went there once. He said scams were everywhere even at airport with immi officials. He was very upset about it but he's a really cheap guy. I never heard him complain about Thailand though which is where he lives - BKK

Never been but I knew a Chinese American older guy who went there once. He said scams were everywhere even at airport with immi officials. He was very upset about it but he's a really cheap guy. I never heard him complain about Thailand though which is where he lives - BKK

No more or less scams than anywhere else imho. A +1 for Hanoi....hold on to your hat....and don't go for the next month or two....waaaay too cold up there....stick to the south until Feb.

No more or less scams than anywhere else imho. A +1 for Hanoi....hold on to your hat....and don't go for the next month or two....waaaay too cold up there....stick to the south until Feb.

also avoid the place during the TET holiday in Feb as they roll up the sidewalks for a week when everyone goes home for the festivities...

and it does get cold up north...I froze my ass on the north central coast one winter (due to ill fitting doors and windows and living by the beach, outside of the big cities and tourist areas western standard accommodation is hard to find sometimes)and fled to Hanoi and the 4 star Melia hotel to thaw out for a few days...

but it is a fascinating place...it's a mystery to me how a place that suffered the brutality of 35 years of war with western imperialist powers manages to remain so vibrant...

The going rate to the city was approximately 125,000-150,000 VND last I was there.

Stick with Vinasun or Mai Linh taxis and look out for the taxis that are pretending to be one of those. A few friends of mine were ripped off. Some photos of what the cabs look like here: http://www.runawaybr...ensive-guide-2/

This is good advice. Both Vinasun and Mai Linh have uniformed staff with radios stationed to the left outside the public area at arrivals. Easy to find. Taxi will cost no more than 120-140 000 dong to the city centre area.

As one poster stated, it is really hard to give decent advice when we have no idea what you are interested in, when you are going and your budget etc.

You will gain much better info in replies if you can outline your plans, likes, budget and timeframe.

Edited by Lakegeneve

Ok sorry! Flying to hanoi, halong bay cruise, flying to danang, then going to hue and hoi an, then flying to dalat, then travelling to nha trang and mui ne, ending up in ho chi minh

smile.png

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Okay, it will be cold in the north at this time of year, Hue and Mui Ne are nice --- but you are missing Nha Trang --- that's a pity.

HCM/Saigon is lovely except for the scams as advised already -- lots to see and do.

Do take notice of the warnings on scams. The Vietnamese are, by and large good people but as in any fast growing tourist destination there are those who take the low road. I lived and worked in the south for 5 years and regularly go back so I do know what I am talking about. I can not advise on the northern part of the country. Dalat & Nha Trang are well worth a visit. Be prepared for the cool weather in Dalat. If you have the time take the hydrofoil down to Vung Tau from HCMC and spend a day or two there.

Edited by canman
  • Like 1

Do take notice of the warnings on scams. The Vietnamese are, by and large good people but as in any fast growing tourist destination there are those who take the low road. I lived and worked in the south for 5 years and regularly go back so I do know what I am talking about. I can not advise on the northern part of the country. Dalat & Nha Trang are well worth a visit. Be prepared for the cool weather in Dalat. If you have the time take the hydrofoil down to Vung Tau from HCMC and spend a day or two there.

------------------

I'm hoping to take that hydrofoil on the 23rd or 24th of December.

I'll just have to see if it's possible when I get there.

Will be there for 4 days, 23rd to 27th of December.

rolleyes.gif

------------------

I'm hoping to take that hydrofoil on the 23rd or 24th of December.

I'll just have to see if it's possible when I get there.

Will be there for 4 days, 23rd to 27th of December.

rolleyes.gif

If you have a choice avoid the greenline hydrofoils, they tend to be slower and more manky inside then Petro express or Vina. Usually the hydrofoils will drop you off at Vung Tau but if the seas are up a bit they may drop you off just out of town at the PTSC port and then bus you in. The thing to watch is when you get the hydrofoil back to HCMC that you check which place they leave from on the day. Driving takes longer and is not for the faint of heart!

Ok sorry! Flying to hanoi, halong bay cruise, flying to danang, then going to hue and hoi an, then flying to dalat, then travelling to nha trang and mui ne, ending up in ho chi minh

smile.png

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Your choice, but seems a rather odd itinerary. From a travel logistics view it would make more sense to fly Hanoi to Hue, then onto Hoi An via the coast road hire a car with driver - don't take the route though the mountain tunnel to Danang as the coastal scenery is beautiful (about 4/5 hours). You can travel from Hoi An back to Danang (30/40 minutes by taxi) & then travel to Nha Trang by train/fly. Then to Mui Ne, Dalat etc You can get near to Mui Ne by train from Nha Trang & then final leg by taxi. If at all possible avoid long distance travel by road.

Edited by simple1

yeah...look out for the scams as advised but sometimes that's difficult if you're a tourist and short time....when I first got to HCMC I was buying Vodka Hanoi from the night market at Bin Tanh for about USD10...later I was at a small shop near my accommodation and found that the same bottle cost about USD3 and then they offered to walk around the corner to my hotel to deliver it and all I had to do was call...the delivery girl had bad teeth but a nice smile ('how did she manage to do that???') and we became friendly and I was sad to say goodbye when the job moved south to the site at Ca Mau...

also, the Mekong delta is interesting and I crossed the river on a ferry and it was huge...and I got on the phone and called California and said on the message machine: 'I'm on a ferry now crossing the Mekong river...nya nya ti nya nya...' and then later my pal called to ask if I was OK...

• 2 weeks later...

whistling.gif I'm in Vung Tau Vietnam right now.

I found out in Ho Chi Minh that small change bills .... say under 20,000 Dong .... although perfectly leagal are often not accepted by street vendors for small purchases if they are dirty ... I mean soiled or stained.

So. if you purchase something and get some change ... you want the bills to be as clean as possible.

Street vendors in H Chi minh have a habit of passing off these low ammount dirty bills to foriegners ... because they know that Vietnamese won't accept soilrd or stained small bills.

Again, these are not illegal, they are perfectly legal bills.

But for some reason the Vietnames don't want them.

I even saw a Vietnamese street vendor simply throw away about 50,000 Dong in perfectly legal bills because they were dirty.

Not that it's much money ... but for antything under about 50,000 Dong dirty or stained money often won't be accepted.

And by the way, Thai Baht .... I suspecred this anyhow before I came .... is almost unchangeable in Vietnam even in the banks.

So, when you come to Vietnam get the "big three" exchange currencies before you come here.

That's U.S. Dollars, GBP, or Euro,

Those are the 3 top preferred (and best rate) exchange currencies.

whistling.gif

biggrin.png One more point ... see above .... if you are single and seek "companionship" for the night ... avoid the hotel I (unknowingly) choose here in Vung Tau.

It's a nice hotel, and just across the road for tne Beach (Back Beach) but in this hotel the female owner/manager is a Catholic Christian and these rules apply:

rule 6 ..... NO prostitutes allowed in this hotel.

rule 7 ..... NO guests allowed to vist you in your room without special permission from the owner/manager.

However, there is a "massage" spa place just two buildings away down the street ... so....

whistling.gif

P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone on Thai Visa Forum.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

biggrin.png One more point ... see above .... if you are single and seek "companionship" for the night ... avoid the hotel I (unknowingly) choose here in Vung Tau.

It's a nice hotel, and just across the road for tne Beach (Back Beach) but in this hotel the female owner/manager is a Catholic Christian and these rules apply:

rule 6 ..... NO prostitutes allowed in this hotel.

rule 7 ..... NO guests allowed to vist you in your room without special permission from the owner/manager.

However, there is a "massage" spa place just two buildings away down the street ... so....

whistling.gif

P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone on Thai Visa Forum.

More than a few hotels in Vietnam have notices that specifically state, no prostitutes allowed

whistling.gif Update on Vung Tau, Vietnam.

I was here in Vung Tau as a 20 year old in 1966 to 1967. Of course, as I expected major changes have happened since that time ... that's not news is it?

I just spent about 5 hours with a group of mainly Kiwi and Aussie expats living here in Vung Tau (and some that return here regularly each year).

Don't get me wrong about scams in Vietnam, of course like any place there are tourists there are tourist scams.

Banhgkok included.

But Vung Tau is still a nice laid back place and I'm enjoying myself here.

Had a Christmas dinner at a local Aussie and Kiwi hangout with good people.

Good food and good COLD beer.

Some very pretty young waitresses also ... although I am old enough to be their grandfather.

I just wanted to pass on that information I hadn't heard before about dirty or stained small denomination bills.

Not a major scam ... but the vendors do like to pass out small change in biills that the local Vietnamese won't accept to foriegn tourists.

I hadn't heard anyone else say that before.... but I saw it happen myself.

Scams here in Vietnam are not as in-your-face as other places ... say Phuket or Pattaya ... or even Bangkok.

And as for Ho Chi Minh city, ....which even the locals still sometimes refer to as Saigon .... there are scams but if you just laugh at them the Vietnamese often back off ... once they reaiise your not a fool whose going to fall for the same scam again.

Last night, Chritsmas exe, the hotel owner gave each guest at this small hotel a bottle of Vietnamese wine .. gift wrapped for Christmas.

No charge, a Christmas present,

Now what hotel in Thailand would do that?

thumbsup.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG