Living In Thailand On A 49,000Baht/mo Budget. Questions.

Rambling Man

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got a massive chip on your shoulder about being white here. If you feel so disenfranchised, why do you remain in Thailand?

Jesus, I'm a black guy living here and, by the sound of things, I don't feel even half as "disadvantaged" by my colour as you do by yours.

As a white man in Thailand, you benefit from scores of privileges that many poorer Thais can only dream of and yet you have the gall to say the country is anti-white people.

Oh and before you wheel out the old "I can't buy land here" chestnut, you could apply for Thai citizenship. The cost wouldn't make that much of a dent in that million you've got stashed away.

You've got a massive chip on your shoulder about being white here. If you feel so disenfranchised, why do you remain in Thailand?

Jesus, I'm a black guy living here and, by the sound of things, I don't feel even half as "disadvantaged" by my colour as you do by yours.

As a white man in Thailand, you benefit from scores of privileges that many poorer Thais can only dream of and yet you have the gall to say the country is anti-white people.

Oh and before you wheel out the old "I can't buy land here" chestnut, you could apply for Thai citizenship. The cost wouldn't make that much of a dent in that million you've got stashed away.

"As a white man in Thailand, you benefit from scores of privileges that many poorer Thais can only dream of "

Excuse me! What priveleges does anyone receive simply by being white? I cannot think of one single privelege that I benefit from because of the colour of my skin!

Edited by loong

"As a white man in Thailand, you benefit from scores of privileges that many poorer Thais can only dream of "

Excuse me! What priveleges does anyone receive simply by being white? I cannot think of one single privelege that I benefit from because of the colour of my skin!

A lot of women want to make babies with you.smile.png I told my wife's family I was too old and had too many children already. They said no problem. Ship the kids off to them and they would raise them. For proof they said look at my educated, demure and very polite wife.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

Just like a Thai needs UK nationality to buy a football team/mansion?

I'm let through police-road checks while every Thai is pulled over and given full body searches.

We can simply refuse acts that we don't like where nong-Thai will have to go along, and we are excused as we are White and don't 'understand' the cultural protocol.

I can leave anytime I want.

There's 3 off the top of my head.

• Like 2

A lot of women want to make babies with you.smile.png

Apart from that "privilege let's see:

1. By virtue of being white, you are automatically elevated above the class restrictions that a huge swathe of Thais are mired in from cradle to grave

2. By virtue of being white and, therefore, perceived as wealthier, you can go to establishments like higher end bars, restaurants, clubs and receive far more courteous service than an ordinary Thai

3. By virtue of being white, mainstream Thai society doesn't judge you as much by your attire and overall image as they do an ordinary Thai

I have seen darker-skinned Thai girls recoil in horror at the prospect of going to the Emporium for a meal because they're afraid they'll be poorly judged by everyone from the shop assistants to security personnel and, even when they do take the plunge, it's only been after an hour or two in the mirror applying a lighter shade of foundation and throwing on the classiest items in their wardrobe.

I have been to farang-oriented bars and clubs and seen Thai girls treated appallingly by their own people simply because they're perceived as hookers. White girls don't get that - not even the Russian hoes.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the first answer to the OP. I don't see how some people insist that you must have xxx,xxx baht/mo to live it up. The younger guys I guess have the advantage of being able to play the frugal role and still have girlfriend without a problem. I've seen guys do it on $300-500 a month. I know because I am one of them. Although with the newborn, it's a bit more now.

http://www.thaivisa....-chumphon-town/

It is very easy to spend money quickly when you travel, because things relatively speaking are cheap so that when you spurge, it doesn't seem like a lot but it can add up quickly.

Obviously there are those with greater means, and you can buy more, but if you are coming to Thailand to live like a Westerner, you'd likely need a much larger budget, perhaps more so than what you needed in your home country.

PS: Seems like a lot of younger guys are taking advantage of this. Good. I wish I knew about this 5 years ago.

edit: get a multiple entry non-immigrant visa when you come over for the first time.

Edited by 4evermaat

I have a massive chip on my shoulder about racists and racism.

You may have become used to racism and accept or excuse it, I'm not and I don't.

I don't care about the colour of my skin or the colour of your skin, nor should anyone else in the world.

There is no excuse.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

A lot of women want to make babies with you.smile.png I told my wife's family I was too old and had too many children already. They said no problem. Ship the kids off to them and they would raise them. For proof they said look at my educated, demure and very polite wife.

Making babies that you don't want is a privelege?

I have to agree with the first answer to the OP. I don't see how some people insist that you must have xxx,xxx baht/mo to live it up. The younger guys I guess have the advantage of being able to play the frugal role and still have girlfriend without a problem. I've seen guys do it on $300-500 a month. I know because I am one of them. Although with the newborn, it's a bit more now.

http://www.thaivisa....-chumphon-town/

It is very easy to spend money quickly when you travel, because things relatively speaking are cheap so that when you spurge, it doesn't seem like a lot but it can add up quickly.

Obviously there are those with greater means, and you can buy more, but if you are coming to Thailand to live like a Westerner, you'd likely need a much larger budget, perhaps more so than what you needed in your home country.

PS: Seems like a lot of younger guys are taking advantage of this. Good. I wish I knew about this 5 years ago.

edit: get a multiple entry non-immigrant visa when you come over for the first time.

Hmmmmm. How does someone under 50 with $300-500 a month obtain a non imm. visa?

The Western judicial system seems to favor that view, yes.

The Western judicial system seems to favor that view, yes.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct.

Modified to allow posting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I think the 49k baht is sufficient for an ordinary lifestyle, or you could blow that on "girls." "Up to you."

After living in LOS a couple of times and visiting several times, I think I know what my needs are. Here's the kicker and it's the up-front costs of getting established. I've budgeted US $50,000 (1.5+ million baht) for start up costs and that will make a big difference. That will sort out my paperwork, allow a hotel until I find a rental, buy a car and a motor bike, Pay for the housing rental deposits and any furniture and appliances I might need, and get generally established.

Having that, with no debts, and 49k per month when I don't drink much or chase bar girls should make for a comfortable if not luxurious lifestyle. If an emergency or desire pops up, there are credit cards and money in the bank in the US. That's just a backup.

So yes, I don't believe I'll spend much more than, if even, 49k b. If I arrived with no money other than my first month's 49k and had to build from there, it would be a struggle for me.

With 49k you should be fine. BKK,Patts or Chiang Mai for you,south(Phuket,Krabi,Samui etc.) is more expensive and more tourist-based.

I lived year in Pattaya and i was fine with 50k/m.

Thing for is that you have remember that you are not "2 week millionaire",at 25 that maybe hard to forget.

Girls:You maybe saying now that you dont even hang-out or hit them in states,sounds me that you are in for a ride. They can play you like a toy if you dont be carefully and they can play every trick in book.

I suggest that you read couple of books in that topic,"a fool in paradise" and "money number one" and remember what they say.

I paid 6500b/m for 1 room condo,32lcd 70 channels,8m bandwith internet,small cooking area,fridge,large bed,small sofa and balcony. it was about 22-24 squaremeters. All i bought there was fan and some glasses,plates,knives,spoons and small table in front of sofa.

Fan i bought cause i you ran aircon 24/7,your electric bill is going to be bigggg.

Electric bill was something like 1000-2000/m and water was 300.

You can buy insurance from thailand,bupa offers something 20k/year,i had that,it does NOT cover everything and paid sums if something happens aint big. But i had that. Did not needed that whole year.

I mostly ate outside,sometimes i ordered in,ate thai and falang,that was like 3000-8000/m

Drank out and in,spend about 7000-15000/m

Gym was cheap,i made year contract,just cant remember how much,5000k? Well someone remember,universe gym in sukhumvit.

Travelled some,that is expensive,with hotels etc,even if you take public and minivans. Spend something like 60000k in that year.

Visa fees were,back home 60d visa was 25euro,immigration 1800 for 30d. Visa trip after that 9000k. Immigration again 1800b,visa ride 1900b and immigration 1800b. Then same again,with one entry 8000b. and immigration again 1800b,

So Total was 27000,plus i spend something one trips so 30k is what i spend.

I had motorbike for 6 months,that was 2500/m. Plus petrol,500/m.

Then everything else,movies,bowling,badminton,tennis,clothes,private hygiene. 1000-3000/m.

All in total i spend 30k-50k month,depending what i ate and how much i would drink,if you include insurance+visas+etc.

But all fairness,total bill from that one year is close to 600k,those dam_n girls...

Edited by Aceman80

Hmmmmm. How does someone under 50 with $300-500 a month obtain a non imm. visa?

Marriage would be more difficult with only that funds. ED visa, certain reasons of B or O visa would qualify. And you'd need to factor in whether the person will travel back to their home country in a 'split-shift' fashion.

I forgot to put that you should have $1-2k or more when you first come to take care of minor appliances, spend on incidentals, or get a feel for the place. It gets cheaper as you stay longer.

Good post, Aceman. That would be my guesstimate as well. But, like you said, it's the OTHER things that you have to be careful of. I'd hate to fall in love with some handsome, but poor Thai guy that I had to support.

I will ALWAYS say the same thing to people who want to move to Thailand. DON'T SEVER TIES BACK HOME! Come to Thailand on an extended holiday for a year or more and see how it works out. It must be an extended stay because a month long holiday will never give you the real idea of the costs.

• Like 1

You shouldn't have too much problem living on that amount per month. However, if you get caught up in bar hopping and monstering, then you might find that the money doesn't go so far. You should be able to find some decent enough accommodation for 12k a month. I rent a town house in Bangkok which is 12k, although I think the owners are being a bit generous and haven't increased the rent on it in 4 years. 37k, should easily suffice to enjoy the food, and leisure activites, especially as you are single.

Good post, Aceman. That would be my guesstimate as well. But, like you said, it's the OTHER things that you have to be careful of. I'd hate to fall in love with some handsome, but poor Thai guy that I had to support.

I will ALWAYS say the same thing to people who want to move to Thailand. DON'T SEVER TIES BACK HOME! Come to Thailand on an extended holiday for a year or more and see how it works out. It must be an extended stay because a month long holiday will never give you the real idea of the costs.

I don't know. I think the great majority of the experts here are as a result of stays of only a few months. It is amazing how much the Farang brain can absorb/invent in only a few days.smile.png

As I have posted many times, any calculations done today need to take into account the long-term effects of cost inflation, and of course as others have pointed out, exchange rate risks.

You might well be able to survive on Bt 49k per month today, but what about next year, or in ten years time, when the purchasing power of your income will be down to Bt 40k, or in 20 years, etc etc?

If you are fortunate enough to have an income that will increase with inflation, and which is hedged against exchange rate risks, you will only have to worry about all the other unforeseen expenses that life throws at us.

It is relatively easy to estimate income. It is very difficult to foresee all the expenses that can, and will, come at you.

As others have said, do not burn any bridges. And if you can continue to earn income, do so, for as long as you can.

You might well be able to survive on Bt 49k per month today, but what about next year, or in ten years time, when the purchasing power of your income will be down to Bt 40k, or in 20 years, etc etc?

As others have said, do not burn any bridges. And if you can continue to earn income, do so, for as long as you can.

I have seen inflation go faster than that. In 10 years time you could loose as much as 50% of your purchasing power.

For that reason and risk of exchange rates i have accumulated enough small condos to generate enough income to be able to sustain any inflation and exchange rates as that income is in the local currency. I think every long term plan should include generating enough local currency to offset the fixed costs.

I don't know. I think the great majority of the experts here are as a result of stays of only a few months. It is amazing how much the Farang brain can absorb/invent in only a few days.smile.png

What little I know of Thailand has been taught to me by a much older mentor. I pay attention when he speaks. As others here have quite rightly pointed out, cost of living changes yearly and not usually for the best. A fixed income can quickly erode if there is nothing else backing it up. It takes money to make money and if you are just living on a pension or fixed income then you are at the mercy of world financiers. And, not everyone is cut out to be a wheeler dealer buying and selling properties. That is a full time job for someone who is on the ball constantly. I keep hearing of people making a living on-line, but I think only a few are clever enough for that. When you purchase something with the intention of reselling it quickly at a profit there is always a risk. Look at all the junk you see in Thai stalls that has been there for years and nobody is ever going to buy. That Thai must have originally thought they could resell it at a profit. Most westerners are not willing to wait that long or live like a Thai to survive.

As I have posted many times, any calculations done today need to take into account the long-term effects of cost inflation, and of course as others have pointed out, exchange rate risks.

If you are fortunate enough to have an income that will increase with inflation, and which is hedged against exchange rate risks, you will only have to worry about all the other unforeseen expenses that life throws at us.

It is relatively easy to estimate income. It is very difficult to foresee all the expenses that can, and will, come at you.

< or in ten years time, when the purchasing power of your income will be down >

Hmmmmm. In 10 years time, I very much hope I'm not on planet earth any more, LOL.

I'm decrepit enough now, so I hate to think how bad it'll be then,

Health care for seniors in LOS is the elephant in the room. No one seems to want to see it or acknowledge it. At my age I can't get it, and it could ruin me. If I was healthy enough to travel, I'd have to go packing back to the States where I have full coverage Medicare Advantage for $125 a month. It is a gamble for sure.

The current estimate for lifetime, out-of-pocket expenses for an individual in the US during retirement while covered by Medicare is $125,000. So, your out-of-pocket expenses in the US while covered by Medicare could well exceed your out-of-pocket expenses in Thailand without insurance.

It has been ten years since I lived in the US but I found it difficult to find doctors who took medicaid and medicare for my father and the ones who did weren't any good. Plus all the nursing homes that had any openings all smelled like pee and had awful food.

I would like to see a link to that $125k figure. My copays are very low.

Hospitals are required by federal law to take Medicare, as are doctors who work for hospitals. We have a large doctor's clinic here which belongs to the largest hospital here. It has 27 doctors of all stripes for anything you need. They even have a no appointment needed urgent care (much different from emergency room) where the service is good and it's even open seven days a week. I went there recently on a Saturday for a worrisome sore throat. They have a lab open and a pharmacy in the building.

There are a lot of misconceptions about health care in the US and you only need ask yourself why so many wealthy Canadians and Brits go to the US for care. It may have less to do with quality and more to do with no wait times, but it is there. There is no complaint about quality in the UK or Canada, just wait times which almost amount to rationing.

Hospitals are required to treat and stabilize patients who have no money or insurance. Collecting later is a civil matter and many just write it off. See any news reports on the treatment even for illegal aliens from South of the border. They are a real drain on the system.

If you are in the US and need care you will get it and I mean right now. Here is such a clinic, owned by a hospital, and they say up front there are no wait times. You will get treatment. If they can't do it do to complexity, the big hospital is a couple of blocks away and you will be rushed by ambulance.

It is illegal for a hospital or hospital owned clinic to even ask you about insurance until after they have treated you!!

Tell that to the Nassau Baptist Medical Center near Jacksonville, Florida. Emergency room asked for insurance and wouldn't provide treatment until they verified it. Due to my insurance companies computers being down, hospital couldn't verify my insurance. They strongly discouraged me from getting treatment there. I went elsewhere. Still in dispute with insurance company over it. Anyone who thinks care is free in US is high. If you have no insurance, you will get billed, and if don't pay, they can ruin your credit or drive you into bankruptcy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App