Dutch Police Arrest Three Syria-Bound 'jihadists'

News_Editor

Dutch police arrest three Syria-bound 'jihadists' < br />

2012-12-01 08:58:36 GMT+7 (ICT)

ROTTERDAM, NETHERLANDS (BNO NEWS) -- Dutch police have arrested three men who were about to leave the Netherlands to participate in 'violent international jihad' in Syria, where rebels are attempting to overthrow the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, prosecutors said on Friday.

The three men, aged 22, 23 and 33, were arrested on Thursday morning in the port city of Rotterdam, about 55 kilometers (35 miles) southwest of Amsterdam. The investigation into the group began in October on the basis of a report from the country's General Intelligence and Security Service (AIVD),

The men had earlier bought tickets for a flight to Turkey with a connecting flight to the border with Syria, but the flight was canceled and eventually postponed. Two of the suspects were planning to take another flight from the Belgian capital of Brussels to Turkey on Thursday afternoon.

"One of the men last week married a Muslim who he had never met. He recently met her on the Internet," the country's prosecutor's office said in a statement. "The man planned to travel to Syria with his wife to fight for the jihad. In a photo for his bride the man posed with an AK-47 assault rifle."

In one online message to his wife, the suspect allegedly said: "I hope we will die together and go to paradise."

While few details about the plot were released, police searched the homes of the suspects and seized multiple knives, a sword and a cross-bow. "Additionally, police also came across farewell letters, packed backpacks with travel equipment, and a large quantity of jihadist literature," prosecutors said, adding that two homes of relatives in Doesburg and Utrecht were also searched.

The men, described as radicalized Muslims by prosecutors, are believed to have collected funds to finance their journey.

The crisis in Syria began as a pro-democracy protest movement in March 2011, similar to those across the Middle East and North Africa. The Syrian government violently cracked down on the protests, setting off an armed conflict between pro-Assad forces and anti-government forces.

A number of jihadist groups have joined the fight against Assad's regime, and as many as 1,500 foreigners are believed to be in Syria to fight alongside rebels. Dutch photographer Jeroen Oerlemans was kidnapped in Syria in September and held for a week, but he later reported that none of his captors were of Syrian origin.

The United Nations estimates that more than 30,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed and more than 1.2 million have been displaced since the uprising against President al-Assad began 1.5 year ago. The opposition believes the number of deaths has already surpassed 40,000.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-12-01

*scratches head*

sometimes I'm puzzled... why is it that Europe keeps them in Europe while they could just have declared them persona non grata in the unfortunate case these 3 were not successful in getting themselves killed?

I'd rather have these people outside my country than inside... preferably six feet under.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

If they were off to die for jihad you would would have thought the Dutch would have upgraded them, three less on welfare.

Lets call a spade a spade here. These jihadists are terrorists, paid for and encouraged by the West to overthrow the government in Syria. Probably affiliated to Al Qaida despite the fact that this organization have been committing terrorist acts against The West for years, But that's OK, it suits the USA and their poodles to ignore this inconvenient truth just as long as their geopolitical interests, and more to the point, their paymasters interests are taken care of. To be honest i find it amazing that American citizens are prepared to cry their crocodile tears when their young men and women come home in bodybags, yet do not question the support and financial aid given by their taxpayers to these self same terrorists. Are they in denial? Do they not want to face the truth that there is blatant hypocrisy here? Very very sad.

Very well written. Also, shame on Turkey and Gulf states too, for supporting these thugs in Syria.

• Like 2

If they were off to die for jihad you would would have thought the Dutch would have upgraded them, three less on welfare.

Lets call a spade a spade here. These jihadists are terrorists, paid for and encouraged by the West to overthrow the government in Syria. Probably affiliated to Al Qaida despite the fact that this organization have been committing terrorist acts against The West for years, But that's OK, it suits the USA and their poodles to ignore this inconvenient truth just as long as their geopolitical interests, and more to the point, their paymasters interests are taken care of. To be honest i find it amazing that American citizens are prepared to cry their crocodile tears when their young men and women come home in bodybags, yet do not question the support and financial aid given by their taxpayers to these self same terrorists. Are they in denial? Do they not want to face the truth that there is blatant hypocrisy here? Very very sad.

Very well written. Also, shame on Turkey and Gulf states too, for supporting these thugs in Syria.

So what do have to say about Russia & China supporting the Assad regeime and the use of Shabiha militia to deliberately target and kill civilians.

The Syrian opposition re-emerged after the Arab Spring movement overturned the corrupt and oppressive government in Tunisia in early 2011. They held street demonstrations against the Syrian dictatorship & were violently suppressed and it all kicked off. Assad and his fellow Alawites represents 10% of the Syrian population. Assad and previously his father are notorious for the detention, torture and killing of any opposition as well as State sponsorship of terrorism. As an example just look at their activities in Lebanon with Hezbollah.

If your family, friends and acquaintances were tortured and murdered by a dictatorial minority regeime and their followers, what would your response be? Roll over and keep quiet?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Lets call a spade a spade here. These jihadists are terrorists, paid for and encouraged by the West to overthrow the government in Syria.

If that was the case why did the Dutch arrest them rather than giving them a big, cheery send-off?

Edited by folium

Lets call a spade a spade here. These jihadists are terrorists, paid for and encouraged by the West to overthrow the government in Syria.

If that was the case why did the Dutch arrest them rather than giving them a big, cheery send-off?

because the Dutch are not "the West". as simple as that.

I think that CNN and BBC are biased against the Assad regime.

I am not a fan of the Russian and Chinese regimes and their reason for protecting the Assad regime is of course to do with benefit to their countries but I guess we can say they are doing the right thing for wrong reasons.

If some Western countries and the Gulf states hadn't supported the opposition from the beginning, maybe the conflict wouldn't have come to this terrible stage.

Staggering response.

Most thinking people would be biased against the Assad regime. Check out Daddy Assad's little venture into Aleppo in 1980 or Hama in 1982, let alone what junior has been up to recently.

Quite why are you in support of the Assad regime?

I would not claim that the opposition are perfect in every way but the situation in Syria today is hardly a creation of external meddling.

Huh? The USA has been the reluctant party in Syria, regularly being criticized for not doing more to support the rebels. The funding for the rebels for the most part has come from neighbouring states that have a vested interest. It is Turkey that has bombarded Syrian positions and provided refuge for some of the rebels. The UAE, Qatar and Saudi Arabia with the assistance of Jordan have provided much of the funding. Why then do you single out the USA? Is it because it wold pain you to really call a spade a spade and admit that this is an arab vs. arab sectarian conflict? What's next? Calling this a plot by Israel too?

• Like 1

Geographically or politically that seems an odd statement....

I would not claim that the opposition are perfect in every way but the situation in Syria today is hardly a creation of external meddling.

I think it' fair to say that without 'external meddling' Assad Junior would have crushed the rebellion by now. The arguments are well rehearsed here. The Assad regime is repulsive and it's backers can hardly wave the humanitarian card, but then again neither can those intervening against Assad. There is overwhelming evidence that a large proportion of the so called rebels are in favour of a Sharia state, which would arguably be an even greater human rights disaster than the autocratic dictator. Egypt and Libya, however we try to soft soap them, are not going well from a human rights perspective and at least secular dictators can act rationally in their own interests, which makes them easier to deal with.

Wait for the so called 'Free Syrian army' to succumb to rent-a-jihadists such as the three in the O.P.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9716545/Inside-Jabhat-al-Nusra-the-most-extreme-wing-of-Syrias-struggle.html

at least secular dictators can act rationally in their own interests, which makes them easier to deal with.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Saddam, Kim il variants, Pol Pot, Ghaddafi (occasionally non-secular depending on wind direction) etc etc.....all great examples of rational folk oh so easy to deal with??

at least secular dictators can act rationally in their own interests, which makes them easier to deal with.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Saddam, Kim il variants, Pol Pot, Ghaddafi (occasionally non-secular depending on wind direction) etc etc.....all great examples of rational folk oh so easy to deal with??

No problem if you carry a bigger stick than the secular dictator, who will then behave accordingly. Saddam was put in his box after the first Iraq war, no need for a follow up and the resulting mess. Pol Pot was driven out with ease by Vietnam, when it chose to do so, the U.N could have done the same if anyone outside Cambodia gave a sh-1-t. Hitler, Mao and Stalin carried big sticks and they knew it.

I am not a fan of the Russian and Chinese regimes and their reason for protecting the Assad regime is of course to do with benefit to their countries but I guess we can say they are doing the right thing for wrong reasons.

If some Western countries and the Gulf states hadn't supported the opposition from the beginning, maybe the conflict wouldn't have come to this terrible stage.

Staggering response.

Most thinking people would be biased against the Assad regime. Check out Daddy Assad's little venture into Aleppo in 1980 or Hama in 1982, let alone what junior has been up to recently.

How come there are not many non-Sunni Syrians supporting the Free Syrian Army ? Let me answer simply: because F.S.Army folks are mostly Jihadis and it is very likely that, if Assad regime falls, they will go on a revenge spree against most non-Sunni groups.

• Like 1

Staggering response.

How come there are not many non-Sunni Syrians supporting the Free Syrian Army ? Let me answer simply: because F.S.Army folks are mostly Jihadis and it is very likely that, if Assad regime falls, they will go on a revenge spree against most non-Sunni groups.

Slight simplification.

Syria is approximately 75% Sunni, 12% Alawite, 10% Christian, 3% Druze. The Assad clan and fellow Alawites have run the country since 1963. Classically playing off minorities, the trend has been for the Alawites to have political control, the Christian minority to have economic power and the Sunni majority largely excluded from power.

These minority groups have therefore been great beneficiaries of the Assad regime and timing their jump away from Assad will be a tricky act to pull off successfully.

In your condemnation of external interference you seem to overlook the inputs from Iran, Russia and China in terms of hardware, boots on the ground and political top cover in the UN. But you still have not answered tthe question of why you appeasr to think that supporting the Assad regime is the right thing to do....

Labelling the FSA a largely jihadi grouping is laughable, though there is indeed a growing extremist element.

All in all a nasty civil war with just enough outside assistance to keep the ball rolling while Assad is hamstrung because he can only rely on his non-Sunni troops and militias, while the opposition is unable to mobilise and arm themselves sufficently to defeat Assad militarily. Potentially this could be a long running sage unless a sudden change occurs.

• Like 1

Staggering response.

Because Assad is an Alawite, who are Shiite & are the minority in Syria (approx 10/15% of the population). You are correct the Sunni opposition will seek revenge. FYI Jihadis do not only come from the Sunni faith, but also Shiite - think about radicals from countries such as Iraq/Iran that are predominately Shiite.

Staggering response.

Because Assad is an Alawite, who are Shiite & are the minority in Syria (approx 10/15% of the population). You are correct the Sunni opposition will seek revenge.

Is it revenge which we are also seeing in Tunisia with attacks on women and homosexuals, Egypt with attacks on Coptic Christians and Libya with attacks on sub-Saharan Africans?

@steelydan: Don't know about Tunisia, but would assume so with Coptic's in Egypt (that film) and sub-Saharan Africans in Libya some of whom who were allegedly mercenaries for Gaddafi

I think you will find the Coptic Christians were not having a good Arab spring even before that imbecilic film. Back to the topic, I do find it ironic that whilst Western governments try to encourage democracy in middle eastern Countries run by tyrants sundry citizens living in democracies choose to fight against the same tyrants but with the aim of bringing in repressive theocracies which are the antithesis of the democracies they live in.

@steelydan: Don't know about Tunisia, but would assume so with Coptic's in Egypt (that film) and sub-Saharan Africans in Libya some of whom who were allegedly mercenaries for Gaddafi

I think you will find the Coptic Christians were not having a good Arab spring even before that imbecilic film. Back to the topic, I do find it ironic that whilst Western governments try to encourage democracy in middle eastern Countries run by tyrants sundry citizens living in democracies choose to fight against the same tyrants but with the aim of bringing in repressive theocracies which are the antithesis of the democracies they live in.

True

Don't you think that women will also heavily suffer from the results of the so-called Arab Spring ? If the Assad regime falls, women's rights will possibly go back decades.

There was a program on BBC the other day about a Libyan woman who has sought political asylum in the UK because she was detained by a jihadi group in Libya (after the fall of Gaddafi) and beaten and threatened and was lucky enough to be released.

I don't see the future bright at all for North Africa and the Middle East.

Please cite your sources--you said quite a mouthful. A nice blend of anti-Americanism, conspiracy, and hyperbole. You don't have to write a thesis, just an equal amount of facts to back up your rant. btw...the story was about a Dutch arrest--not American, or did you just want to vent your spleen? America and it's poodles? Are you saying England and Australia are our puppets? Our beeyotch even? shameful post. Shameful I say. Hope you have a happy day.

Edited by KuhnPaen

Excuse me? You wanted me to bite, right? :-)