Central Traffic Fiasco

stevehaigh

@JetsetBKK

Quite right - I was talking about your (now) red route. Never considered that yellow route, worth a shot. Tell you next time I try.

Actually you should take the left turn just before the lights at the start of the yellow route. It goes over the hill & back to the road leading to Honda. This way you miss the housing village & the narrow speed bump section behind the university.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JetsetBKK

Quite right - I was talking about your (now) red route. Never considered that yellow route, worth a shot. Tell you next time I try.

Actually you should take the left turn just before the lights at the start of the yellow route. It goes over the hill & back to the road leading to Honda. This way you miss the housing village & the narrow speed bump section behind the university.

D'oh! That's my new secret route made public! Though the road is so empty at the moment a few extra TV readers won't make much difference.

@JetsetBKK

D'oh! That's my new secret route made public! Though the road is so empty at the moment a few extra TV readers won't make much difference.

biggrin.png Thanks Valentine! I'll give that a go next time. That housing estate is where a mate of mine lives, but it is really steep in places and those speed bumps next to the uni entrance are a real pain - must be the biggest and most concentrated set of bumps in Phuket!

Sorry, Mitch laugh.png. It's like finding a great secluded beach only for someone to post on Thaivisa: "I've found this great secluded beach..." biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

Had to go to Kathu waterworks today, and found the new road. (Sorry Valentine and Mitch! laugh.png).

It's not on Google Earth yet, but I reckon it is this blue route:

post-35489-0-69694700-1361439798.jpg

The road is quite ridiculous - sharp bends and steep gradients - but it does cut out all the speed bumps behind the uni and the narrow sois through the estate. If there were somewhere to park, there are some great views to be had.

I made a video from Makro heading west, on to the new road and then on to Muang Chao Fah road.

At 3:15 today the traffic at Central was backed up westwards to the Big C back road - Bang Yai road. But the road to Kathu and through this "shortcut" were virtually empty. And when I got to Chao Fah West I didn't have to stop - just did the left turn and the U-turn and headed south. Quite amazing.

But don't tell anyone. biggrin.png

post-35489-0-69694700-1361439798_thumb.j

Edited by JetsetBkk

Had to go to Kathu waterworks today, and found the new road. (Sorry Valentine and Mitch! laugh.png).

It's not on Google Earth yet, but I reckon it is this blue route:

post-35489-0-69694700-1361439798.jpg

The road is quite ridiculous - sharp bends and steep gradients - but it does cut out all the speed bumps behind the uni and the narrow sois through the estate. If there were somewhere to park, there are some great views to be had.

I made a video from Makro heading west, on to the new road and then on to Muang Chao Fah road.

At 3:15 today the traffic at Central was backed up westwards to the Big C back road - Bang Yai road. But the road to Kathu and through this "shortcut" were virtually empty. And when I got to Chao Fah West I didn't have to stop - just did the left turn and the U-turn and headed south. Quite amazing.

But don't tell anyone. biggrin.png

Thanks for this information, took this route today and it was great, the only problem is that there is a tricky part in the road where there seems to be a very sharp rise in road level - suspect the engineers were amateurs.

clap2.gif

Thanks for this information, took this route today and it was great, the only problem is that there is a tricky part in the road where there seems to be a very sharp rise in road level - suspect the engineers were amateurs.

clap2.gif

Yes, I was going to mention that "sharp rise" in my earlier post. It is at 1:56 in the video above. Wouldn't be allowed in most western countries.

clap2.gif

Yes, I was going to mention that "sharp rise" in my earlier post. It is at 1:56 in the video above. Wouldn't be allowed in most western countries.

Think about the benefits. That will keep the kids with lowered cars from racing on the road.

clap2.gif

Think about the benefits. That will keep the kids with lowered cars from racing on the road.

Good point! Some of these kids can't even get out of Big C car park without driving up the ramps at 45 degrees. I don't know whether this guy would make it over the new road:

post-35489-0-05559900-1361530793.jpg

post-35489-0-05559900-1361530793_thumb.j

clap2.gif

Good point! Some of these kids can't even get out of Big C car park without driving up the ramps at 45 degrees. I don't know whether this guy would make it over the new road:

Are the car tires an optical illusion, or are they tilted, if tilted what happens to the tread??? Have seen this car on the road and could not work it out?

clap2.gif

Never understood why people would think that looks cool. Then again, what do I know?

post-123755-0-58389200-1361537952_thumb.

Are the car tires an optical illusion, or are they tilted, if tilted what happens to the tread??? Have seen this car on the road and could not work it out?
I believe it's called "negative camber", but I may be wrong. It would help when going fast around bends, but looks plain silly in town. Red Bull tried this on their F1 cars not so long ago.

clap2.gif

Yesterday around 2pm went through the lights at Tesco & saw a long line waiting so I thought to turn at Index & head back to the scenic route. Long line waiting to turn but I spotted only one car waiting at the hospital turn so shot up there made a U turn then left at Index straight into a wall of cars & large buses. Figured it would take forever to get to the next corner so managed to turn around & finally made it to the road heading to Kathu where it was plain sailing all the way around the back of the university & through to the Honda dealer. So, in retrospect it seems at certain times it is best to turn right at Tesco but then again at 5 to 6pm weekdays it will be really busy behind the university & the Honda U turn.

I have noticed during peak times that Herr Gruber's short cut where the road comes out alongside the stadium is not much good as there is a long line of cars waiting to get through with only a very short time on green. I reckon by the time you get to this short cut you may as well keep going straight ahead as you should get through on the next light change.

What is patently obvious from the Chao Fa side are those inconsiderate drivers who go up the right turning lane & then push into the straight ahead traffic thus causing the whole line to slow down even more. I just wish the police would stand there & make them turn right.

clap2.gif

i've seen this car around a lot and always had a chuckle. i guess every couple of weeks when he goes in to get new tires he asks "why do my tires only last 2 weeks" and the sales guy says, "don't know, must be the bad roads in Phuket"

• 3 weeks later...

It is about to get worse. Two of the Chao Fa southbound lanes have now been blocked off so when school holidays are over it will get really bad. Don't know if related but today at around 12.30pm Yaowarat Rd all the way through to Samkong was jammed as was the corresponding section on Thepkasatri.

• 2 weeks later...

The last two days, early afternoon, have found traffic on Chao Fa West backed up to the Naka intersection i.e. the T junction where you turn to go to the weekend night market. Late afternoon the right hand turn in Kathu leading to the road which come out at Honda had long lines waiting. All the new vehicles from the government's rebate plan is exacerbating the situation & now Toyota have been marking down some of their models by 80,000 Baht & making big sales. An instant rebate & you don't have to keep your car for 5 years.

The last two days, early afternoon, have found traffic on Chao Fa West backed up to the Naka intersection i.e. the T junction where you turn to go to the weekend night market. Late afternoon the right hand turn in Kathu leading to the road which come out at Honda had long lines waiting. All the new vehicles from the government's rebate plan is exacerbating the situation & now Toyota have been marking down some of their models by 80,000 Baht & making big sales. An instant rebate & you don't have to keep your car for 5 years.

Correct. Its school holiday and end of month but there are still remarkable more cars on the road than last year even early morning.

Those awaiting the rebate may have to wait longer than expected.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628562-comptroller-general-short-of-funds-to-pay-for-first-car-buyer-rebates-in-april/

Also trying to get through from Witchitsongkram Rd is really slow as those turning right to Chao Fa West have much less space to turn into. It was jam packed on the road there yesterday at 2.30pm where in the past you only saw that in the evening rush hour. Construction progress looks to be quite slow.

Yesterday around 5.30 pm coming from Tesco/Lotus no jam at the Central intersection.
Actually in the last few weeks I drove through there around 15x at different times and days of the week. It never took me longer than 5 minutes.

Don´t understand why everyone is complaining that much.

I recently revisited this fiasco for a closer look.

I said it at the commencement of the this thread...and I will say it again.

This project will never be completed.

Wet season is now just a month or so away...and there is NO way they will be able to sufficiently keep the site dry enough to continue with the earthworks.

At best the partially completed hole will become a nice water feature or fish pond.

Sell your ITD shares NOW.

Wet season is now just a month or so away...and there is NO way they will be able to sufficiently keep the site dry enough to continue with the earthworks.

At best the partially completed hole will become a nice water feature or fish pond.

The water table around Phuket is very low not only due to the dry season but also the fact there are so many more users with wells & so it might be a while before the level gets to the stage where it will be a problem for this construction.

The water table around Phuket is very low not only due to the dry season but also the fact there are so many more users with wells & so it might be a while before the level gets to the stage where it will be a problem for this construction.

Pffft....The water table is an entirely different can of worms...

I was just referring to the storm water drainage that will dash into the hole during every down pour. There is no way to drain the site other than pumping...it will quickly become a quagmire when the rain arrives and that will put a stop to the use of the heavy machinery... but only after a few on site deaths of course.

Edited by Phronesis

Pffft....The water table is an entirely different can of worms...

I was just referring to the storm water drainage that will dash into the hole during every down pour. There is no way to drain the site other than pumping...it will quickly become a quagmire when the rain arrives and that will put a stop to the use of the heavy machinery... but only after a few on site deaths of course.

Doom and gloom brigade...............boring..............

Quickly looked this morning while turning right from Makro direction and it looked like one lane northbound!

Wrong, still 2 lanes. Optical illusion!

1 lane in the morning and 2 lanes in the evening. Drink and driving, aren't you?

Both going North and going South 2 lanes.

Passed by there yesterday going North at 17.30 hours, missed one light, so very doable. On the way back, going South around 19.00 hours, took me 15 minutes.

Chalong circle was a lot worse, when I passed by there at 19.30 traffic was backed up along Viset Road past Fisherman Way. Was glad I was going the other way.