Avoid The Minibuses (Vans) At Front Of Ekamai Bus Station

Trevor25222

I foolishly allowed myself to be hustled onto one of these last Saturday afternoon as the final passenger in a full vehicle. Cost is ฿240 (1-way): ฿16 more than the standard express, on a pretence of being quicker onto the expressway. It wasn't; took 3½ hours instead of the usual 2½ - 2¾ hours.

Reasons: 2 fuel stops, passing through congested Si Racha city and extra pick-up & set-down points. Passengers, once on board, are basically at the mercy of the driver and his tout. They don't even have the foresight to gas-up at the start of the day's work. Stick to the good old express bus at a bargain ฿124!

Edited by Trevor25222

I did the trip from Bang Kapi, as advised by my missus, same problem, never again. As now I use the local bus, 8bht to the nearest MRT, 27bht, then from Asok, Skytrain, 15bht then the 124bht bus to Pattaya. In all about 160 ish, prices approx. and around 2-2.5hrs. Sweet!

Sorry I forgot to mention this post is about the Ekamai-Pattaya route and thought it would be of interest to Pattaya readers. The 12-seater Minibus does not even set down at Pattaya bus station, only along Sukumvit road. Fortunately there were motorcycle taxis available. I'm surprised these cowboys are even allowed to originate from the Ekamai compound.

Does anyone know why the Pattaya-bound buses battle through 7 Km of Sukhumvit traffic (as far as the Bangna-Trat expressway), instead of taking the Chalong Rat expressway, initially northbound to Phattanakarn (eastbound), which is a mere 1.8 Km from Ekamai? It's a little further in distance but gets onto the highway network much quicker.

Edited by Trevor25222

I may be weird but i would choose the 31/2 hours and the extra 124 baht if it meant i was not starring at death's door for the whole trip as the ya baa disciple of death in the drivers seat drove the bus with some consideration for both passengers and other road users. I am a fully financial member of the cheap charlie association ,but my life is worth more than saving a few baht..

• Like 1

I did the trip from Bang Kapi, as advised by my missus, same problem, never again. As now I use the local bus, 8bht to the nearest MRT, 27bht, then from Asok, Skytrain, 15bht then the 124bht bus to Pattaya. In all about 160 ish, prices approx. and around 2-2.5hrs. Sweet!

Took me 1.5 hrs,to drive from bang Kapi to pattaya.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

I may be weird but i would choose the 31/2 hours and the extra 124 baht if it meant i was not starring at death's door for the whole trip as the ya baa disciple of death in the drivers seat drove the bus with some consideration for both passengers and other road users. I am a fully financial member of the cheap charlie association ,but my life is worth more than saving a few baht..

have to agree 100 % i like to get there in one peace and with out having a heart attack

charlie

• Like 1

If you are in Bangok get the Sky train to Phaya Thai - 20 baht ? or less say 10 mins - Sky Train to the Airport 45 baht. 25 mins....go to Gate 8 ground floor Bus to Jomtien 134 Baht 1 hr 40 mins

So for 199 baht - 4 pounds - 6 U.S. you travel 150 Km in Air Conditioned comfort for a little over 2 hrs does not stop for gas - but stops on Sukh at North Pattaya, Pattaya Klang and then 24 Hr food mart Jomtien....

You have to weigh up saving basically 100 baht or being killed by a drugged up maniac behind the wheel of a 140 km steel projectile...I know which one makes me sleep easier....

Edited by lonewolf99

Took me 1.5 hrs,to drive from bang Kapi to pattaya.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes, well done. So were you driving one of the minibuses?

• Like 1

If you are in Bangok get the Sky train to Phaya Thai - 20 baht ? or less say 10 mins - Sky Train to the Airport 45 baht. 25 mins....go to Gate 8 ground floor Bus to Jomtien 134 Baht 1 hr 40 mins

So for 199 baht - 4 pounds - 6 U.S. you travel 150 Km in Air Conditioned comfort for a little over 2 hrs does not stop for gas - but stops on Sukh at North Pattaya, Pattaya Klang and then 24 Hr food mart Jomtien....

This is the way I do it also, starting from Pattaya. Of course one other advantage for me is that I live 5 minutes walk from the Foodmart terminal. Foodmart is also on the main Jomtien/Naklua bahtbus route which may make it more convenient than a Sukumvit stop for anyone who lives near Beach Rd, 2nd Rd or even Naklua Rd.

Sorry I forgot to mention this post is about the Ekamai-Pattaya route and thought it would be of interest to Pattaya readers. The 12-seater Minibus does not even set down at Pattaya bus station, only along Sukumvit road. Fortunately there were motorcycle taxis available. I'm surprised these cowboys are even allowed to originate from the Ekamai compound.

Does anyone know why the Pattaya-bound buses battle through 7 Km of Sukhumvit traffic (as far as the Bangna-Trat expressway), instead of taking the Chalong Rat expressway, initially northbound to Phattanakarn (eastbound), which is a mere 1.8 Km from Ekamai? It's a little further in distance but gets onto the highway network much quicker.

I'm guessing it's because they pick up passengers (and drop off the other way) all along that route. Last time I did the trip there was a fairly big pickup/dropoff new the new Bangna mall. The route you describe is the one I take when driving. Great way to go.

You have to weigh up saving basically 100 baht or being killed by a drugged up maniac behind the wheel of a 140 km steel projectile...I know which one makes me sleep easier....

I guess it depends on where you are in Bangkok? If near Ekamai, just get the direct bus to Pattaya. 124B or so, Aircon, not a bad bus. Drops you off on North Pattaya road. Runs every hour or so.

DO NOT get on the other bus to Pattaya at the Ekamai station! I made that mistake a few months ago. Got hustled. About 3 1/2 hours as it's basically a local bus all the way, and goes via Chonburi. Ugh...schoolboy mistake for sure. Get the bus that has the ticket counter on the right as you walk inside the station.

• Like 1

I've done the Ekamai-Pattaya, Pattaya-Ekamai bus trip all hours, some 30 times or more in a little over two years. The only issue is the type of bus. Most are older Mercedes buses. Air con usually works well but the seats tend to be narrow for farangs, flat and slippery. But otherwise in good shape.

The service always leaves on time, runs every 20-30 minutes depending on time of day and I find staff reasonably helpful (many people read the seat allocations incorrectly: if it's seat 14, the number's on the BACK of the No. 14 seat).

In fact, give me a Roong Reuang Coach Co. (Pattaya Bus) driver any day over a kamikaze minibus driver.

The bus makes a one (only) stop at a Roong Reuang southern bus depot in Bang Na so that's why it takes Sukhumvit. Then it's the tollway to Pattaya North Road. From Pattaya to Ekamai, the bus stops at Home Pro Village (BKK airport), Mega Mall Bang Na, Udom Suk BTS, On Nut BTS and then Ekamai. But ask upfront when you enter the bus if you want to get off early at a BTS, for example.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

In my case the minibus driver was no maniac; he just didn't have the brains to gas-up the tank before starting work, or take the passengers DIRECTLY to Pattaya.

The airport-link solution you give seems a reasonable one, even given my need to initially taxi to Makkasan from Sukhumvit 55 (Thonglor). But how often do the buses to Jomtien go from the main airport? And do they drop off at Pattaya bus station, or at least Sukhumvit road?

Edited by Trevor25222

But how often do the buses to Jomtien go from the main airport? And do they drop off at Pattaya bus station, or at least Sukhumvit road?

Hard to say because they may be late. You can be stuck at the airport for an hour or more.

They drop you on Suk Rd. If you have to stow a bag, wait and put it in the front and remember where it is. Otherwise you and everyone wait while your bag is finally located.

Trevor25222 - The airport buses run back and forth every hour on the hour to Jomtien starting at 0700 to 2200 - The last bus from the airport goes to Pattaya Nua staton I believe and not the 24 Hr Food Mart - or so I have been told but not run that late myself so not sure.

Obviously to go to Bangkok you do the trip in reverse to what I suggested earlier.

There are now 3 Sky Train options to get into town from the Airport - Direct Express to Phaya Thai - City Train to Phaya Thai makes about 6 stops ? and the Direct Express to Makhasan which takes you to he biggest white elephant railway station in the world not near anything remotely useful for a Tourist....... blink.png

Edited by lonewolf99

I'm guessing it's because they pick up passengers (and drop off the other way) all along that route. Last time I did the trip there was a fairly big pickup/dropoff new the new Bangna mall. The route you describe is the one I take when driving. Great way to go.

I guess it depends on where you are in Bangkok? If near Ekamai, just get the direct bus to Pattaya. 124B or so, Aircon, not a bad bus. Drops you off on North Pattaya road. Runs every hour or so.

DO NOT get on the other bus to Pattaya at the Ekamai station! I made that mistake a few months ago. Got hustled. About 3 1/2 hours as it's basically a local bus all the way, and goes via Chonburi. Ugh...schoolboy mistake for sure. Get the bus that has the ticket counter on the right as you walk inside the station.

Yes, I did actually do that same schoolboy error myself, only yesterday (Thurs 6th Dec). cheesy.gif

Trevor25222 - The airport buses run back and forth every hour on the hour to Jomtien starting at 0700 to 2200 - The last bus from the airport goes to Pattaya Nua staton I believe and not the 24 Hr Food Mart - or so I have been told but not run that late myself so not sure.

Obviously to go to Bangkok you do the trip in reverse to what I suggested earlier.

There are now 3 Sky Train options to get into town from the Airport - Direct Express to Phaya Thai - City Train to Phaya Thai makes about 6 stops ? and the Direct Express to Makhasan which takes you to he biggest white elephant railway station in the world not near anything remotely useful for a Tourist....... blink.png

Thanks. If I'm staying in Soi LK area of central-south Pattaya, would it be easier to take a Bell Travel Service bus from the North Pattaya Road bus station to the airport? Departure times 6h, 9h, 11h, 13h, 15h, 17h, 19h. One-way fare 200 Baht paid to service staff upon boarding the coach. This price includes pick-up service from hotel. Looks more convenient than trailing over to the 24-hour Foodmart on Thapphraya, Jomtien, to catch the hourly bus.

Then an empty express train to Makkasan, and ฿80 taxi on to my hotel, Nantra de Comfort, on Sukhumvit 55 (Thonglor).

Edited by Trevor25222

Thanks. If I'm staying in Soi LK area of central-south Pattaya, would it be easier to take a Bell Travel Service bus from the North Pattaya Road bus station to the airport? Departure times 6h, 9h, 11h, 13h, 15h, 17h, 19h. One-way fare 200 Baht paid to service staff upon boarding the coach. This price includes pick-up service from hotel. Looks more convenient than trailing over to the 24-hour Foodmart on Thapphraya, Jomtien, to catch the hourly bus.

Then an empty express train to Makkasan, and ฿80 taxi on to my hotel, Nantra de Comfort, on Sukhumvit 55 (Thonglor).

Bell sends round a minibus to do free hotel pickups. Or you can take a moto taxi for 60 baht to north bus station. The Bell platform is round the back, to the right.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Why not just get the regular bus to Ekkamai (124 baht, runs every 20-30 minutes and takes 2 & a bit hours) and then it's one stop on the BTS to Thong Lor or a 40 baht taxi? No need to go to the airport.