Police Officer Injured In Bangkok Pile-Up

webfact

Police officer injured in Bangkok pile-up

ITTHIPOL IAMCHEUY

THE NATION

30195717-01_big.JPG

A Bangkok police officer was seriously injured in an eight-vehicle pile-up on the inbound Din Daeng elevated road yesterday morning.

BANGKOK: -- Pol Sub-Lieutenant Krit Jitdee of the Din Daeng Police said the accident took place at around 10.30am. It involved a Bangkok-Bang Saen transport van, a private company's van, two taxis, one six-wheel truck, a Honda Sonic motorcycle, a red bus and a Nissan sedan belonging to Nong Chok policeman Pol Sub-Lt Sompong Sarakij.

Transport van passenger Boonrung Thariya said that while the two vans were waiting for a green light, the bus crashed into them. This caused the Nissan, which was in front of them, to be crushed against the rear of the six-wheeler, leaving other vehicles unable to see clearly because the vans' NGV gas began to leak. "It's hard to believe the person who was in the Nissan car is still alive, because the coach bus crashed into the car so hard. The trailing motorcycle also had to suddenly break, and flipped over. Many people on the bus panicked and tried to run away," he said.

The accident caused a traffic jam in the area, as police closed the road section to clear the scene.

It was suspected the bus's brake system failed, causing the pile-up. Police initially arrested bus driver Thichet Changyenkham, 42, for recklessness, causing injury to others and property damage.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-07

"It's hard to believe the person who was in the Nissan car is still alive,
That's for sure, how did they get him out?

Time to get rid of some of these old relic busses that trip around Din Daeng OFF the roads. Talk about 3rd world!

The police diligently "arrested" the bus driver initially and charged him with "recklessness." It would be good to see some follow up on the reckless hit and run killing of the police officer in Bangkok by the Ferrari driver. This case was supposed to be "wrapped up" at the end of September according to reports in The Nation and other newspapers. There are also DUI charges, bribery, obstruction of justice, collusion , corruption, and police coverup in this case. Why has the newspaper gone dark on this? Are the police still intending to indict the Ferrari driver?

• Like 2

How do you survive THAT?

I guess there is something to be said for crumple zones.

the passenger compartment is in worse shape than the crumple zone. 6" further in and he would have been jam.

One really has to believe when your number is up its up. When its not, you can live through anything.

I would wager the brakes on the bus did not fail. This is the standard lie that is always used.

In addition, motorbikes are not allowed on some stretches of the Din Daeng inbound elevated road, so where precisely was it?

• Like 2

I would wager the brakes on the bus did not fail. This is the standard lie that is always used.

In addition, motorbikes are not allowed on some stretches of the Din Daeng inbound elevated road, so where precisely was it?

I was heading the other way and saw the aftermath. There were so many heavy recovery vehicles from a distance I thought they were doing road repairs. It was about 3k before the tollway entrance to the airport. There was one of those little FedEx trucks involved as well. Ripped to shreds. I'm surprised the bus driver was in a fit enough state to be arrested as the front of the bus was pretty mashed too.

That's what scares me driving over here. You can take all the defensive driving measures you like but when you're just innocently sitting at the traffic lights.....

post-9891-0-72456000-1354853807_thumb.jp

Looking at the photo, I am wondering where on the 'elevated road one would find the shophouses in the background.

If anything, it happened on the lower street beneath the elevated section. No? Motorcycles on the tollway? Maybe just a little confused reporting?

Just realized the shophouse view is 2nd storey hence the spaghetti wires. Sorry.

Edited by ratcatcher

is he on uniform that day? that would at least hide his browned pants! what luck to survive that, on top of that, he isnt injured. must be a honest cop though the odds are lower than being uninjured in this accident

Do you understand English?

A Bangkok police officer was seriously injured in an eight-vehicle pile-up on the inbound Din Daeng elevated road yesterday morning.

Are we clearer now.? He was seriously injured. I hope he survives and makes a recovery.