Sukhumvit Traffic Lights

Guderian

It is not just a Thai driving quirk. There is a sigin in Thai at these junctions which states that traffic may proceed in the far left lane at all times. If you could read Thai you would know this.

I am referring to the red lights at the junctions with soi Kow talow and Soi siam cc.

Funny but I don't remember being asked to read thai script traffic signs in order to get my license here.

I suggest that you take it up with the relevant government department.

Maybe they will decide that people who can't read Thai cannot be issued with driving licences.

Personally, I am forever grateful at the extent of English road signs throughout Thailand - even in distant rural areas. It wasn't always so.

Typically, traffic signs are given without the use of any language and using pictures/symbols. Throughout the world when I have tested for my foreign DL I have been tested on these symbols. This way driving is not reliant on knowing how to read. I know thais that can't read as well yet still drive. That's why in mist counties traffic symbols are used. Even Thailand uses these symbols and they are what is on the test.

P4.gif

Here is a bunch more for anyone interested

http://www.huahinexp...affic-signs.htm

Thanks Jayman.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the "no" in the description for these signs is incorrect?

post-108341-0-20023300-1355022388_thumb.

Funny but I don't remember being asked to read thai script traffic signs in order to get my license here.

I suggest that you take it up with the relevant government department.

Maybe they will decide that people who can't read Thai cannot be issued with driving licences.

Personally, I am forever grateful at the extent of English road signs throughout Thailand - even in distant rural areas. It wasn't always so.

Typically, traffic signs are given without the use of any language and using pictures/symbols. Throughout the world when I have tested for my foreign DL I have been tested on these symbols. This way driving is not reliant on knowing how to read. I know thais that can't read as well yet still drive. That's why in mist counties traffic symbols are used. Even Thailand uses these symbols and they are what is on the test.

P4.gif

Here is a bunch more for anyone interested

http://www.huahinexp...affic-signs.htm

Thanks Jayman.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the "no" in the description for these signs is incorrect?

post-108341-0-20023300-1355022388_thumb.

Typically, around the world, no is designated with a slash and the color red. Where as yellow it's just a caution or warning.

It might seems like a good idea in order to ease the traffic on Sukhumvit but it is actually very dangerous.

Only the left lane is supposed to be allowed to go through the traffic light at slow speed but other vehicles coming from the right, having a green light, are supposed to have right of way.

Practically, vehicules on Sukhumvit road simply ignore the traffic light, use more than often 2 lanes, come at full speed (especially the buses and trucks) and indeed if you want to survive you just have to let them go first.

Add to that the fact that after their own light turned red, cars turning right were still going for 5 to 10 seconds and that's how you get traffic jams on thep prasit/pattaya tai/pattaya klang roads.

The same principle can be applied to the "turn left waiting light" sign.

What started with a good idea, that is that when there is no traffic coming from the right, you don't have to wait at the traffic light, ended up with vehicles that are slowly but surely forcing their way and slowing down the whole traffic.

I guess that is the reason why it is now required to wait (even though it's rarely followed, yet) at the traffic light.

Sadly, the lights haven't been adjusted yet so that when vehicles coming from the left have a green light, we are still not yet allowed to turn left.

I'm probably not very clear but I guess anyone driving regulary in Pattaya will see what I mean.

It might seems like a good idea in order to ease the traffic on Sukhumvit but it is actually very dangerous.

Only the left lane is supposed to be allowed to go through the traffic light at slow speed but other vehicles coming from the right, having a green light, are supposed to have right of way.

Practically, vehicules on Sukhumvit road simply ignore the traffic light, use more than often 2 lanes, come at full speed (especially the buses and trucks) and indeed if you want to survive you just have to let them go first.

Add to that the fact that after their own light turned red, cars turning right were still going for 5 to 10 seconds and that's how you get traffic jams on thep prasit/pattaya tai/pattaya klang roads.

What started with a good idea, that is that when there is no traffic coming from the right, you don't have to wait at the traffic light, ended up with vehicles that are slowly but surely forcing their way and slowing down the whole traffic.

I guess that is the reason why it is now required to wait (even though it's rarely followed, yet) at the traffic light.

Sadly, the lights haven't been adjusted yet so that when vehicles coming from the left have a green light, we are still not yet allowed to turn left.

I'm probably not very clear but I guess anyone driving regulary in Pattaya will see what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean and am constantly frustrated by it. Especially when the police set traps just round the corner to fine people who turn when it is perfectly safe to do so but prohibited by the "turn left waiting light sign". If they are not going to allow the left turn any more, what they should do is make the left lane a normal traffic lane and convert the right hand lane into a turn right only lane. They could then run the lights with opposing directions running simultaneously followed by a short right filter light to clear the traffic turning right. This should reduce waiting time for everyone although I am sure the police would still run each direction for at least 5 minutes to cause maximum annoyance. If only they would reduce the waiting time there would be less incentive to jump red lights. Knowing that you are going to be stationary for up to 10 minutes if you just miss a green light and you can see why so many people do jump the red.

I know exactly what you mean and am constantly frustrated by it. Especially when the police set traps just round the corner to fine people who turn when it is perfectly safe to do so but prohibited by the "turn left waiting light sign". If they are not going to allow the left turn any more, what they should do is make the left lane a normal traffic lane and convert the right hand lane into a turn right only lane. They could then run the lights with opposing directions running simultaneously followed by a short right filter light to clear the traffic turning right. This should reduce waiting time for everyone although I am sure the police would still run each direction for at least 5 minutes to cause maximum annoyance. If only they would reduce the waiting time there would be less incentive to jump red lights. Knowing that you are going to be stationary for up to 10 minutes if you just miss a green light and you can see why so many people do jump the red.

Completely agree with your point of view.It is clear to every one driving in Pattaya that the only intention from the BIB is to create traffic jams.A very good example is when they take over the traffic lights on the Klang/ 3rd road section.Only10 minutes after they have taken over there will be a huge traffic jam in the whole area, while 10 minutes after they left the problem will be solved.Because with allowing those long queue's they prevent cars exiting the side soi's which in turn will create a traffic jam in those soi's and behind.

Another brilliant example is those numerous bus stops they create everywhere, and take away the available parking spaces,. and that while there are no buses in Pattaya laugh.png

On top of that they are now also creating taxi stops, which are used by everyone but taxis.

Oh, and as I mentioned already. Wait untill there will be the first tourist death of a pedestrian who is surprised by a speeding car using the " allowed left lane" when crossing a road.

Edited by jbrain

Anybody got a picture of one of these signs that says you can drive straight through, just so I will know what to look for in future?

It won't make any difference,there won't be any point looking for the sign, whether there's a sign or not, the BIB always want their tea money particularly in Pattaya where there are lots of Farangs.