Electric Blanket

Tywais

First off, don't laugh or joke as it is not a funny matter at all. My wife's sister is seriously ill and just completed chemo therapy. She is cold all the time even before the recent drop in temperature. Now, at night, she is shivering very badly and needs to keep warm. She has no fever now and her temperature is even a little below the norm of 37 C. I know this is a long shot, but has anyone seen an electric blanket in Chiang Mai? I talked to my wife to see if she can at least find hot water bottles. Thanks in advance.

Really sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Cancer therapy can be really debilitating.

I was wondering myself about electric sheets (actually) a while ago for no particular reason. I haven't a clue where to find electric electric pads, blankets or sheets in Thailand.

You have probably already searched the internet for Thailand. Have you thought about express international delivery of what you want from a store like Amazon, but then the differing electrical systems of America and Thailand would be a problem? Come to think of it, what if the electric blanket is not grounded?

In the meantime, my wife tells me that hot water bottles are available in Kad Suan Khao or Airport Central types of stores. Or you might try the medical supply stores across from Suan Doc. Or what about the physical therapy units in the hospitals. Perhaps they can help.

Edited by Mapguy

Maybe it is something to do with thyroid damage from the treatment. I don't know if that is something that could be corrected or controlled. Hope she gets better soon.

You could also try getting her some silk sheets or a silk sleeping bag liner. Silk keeps you really warm.

You could try a really good 4 seasons sleeping bag too, but that might be a bit restrictive and heavy for someone who's sick.

PS Maybe one of the big pharmaceutical shops might stock. Its a long shot though in this climate.

Edited by cmsally

I saw electric heaters in Siam.

Also in one of the pharmacies across from the Sri Pat hospital they have heating pads. It is to your left when you cross at the light they have all kinds of equipment for medical use there including C pac machines and oxygen extractors.

Also in one of the pharmacies across from the Sri Pat hospital they have heating pads. It is to your left when you cross at the light they have all kinds of equipment for medical use there including C pac machines and oxygen extractors.

Thanks regarding the heating pads. I have electric heaters but I need more localized heating because she lies on the couch covered with comforters during the day and the living room is much too large to heat. Also my wife gets too hot while her sister is too cold. Complicated logistics. smile.png

Checked Amazon, no 220V versions, will browse e-bay again though the heating pads above sound like they may be ok. My wife has to take her to Suan Dork a few times a week so will mention the pharmacy.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. wai2.gif

Sorry to hear about your sick relative. any friends visiting china at this time? local markets would be selling (at this season) tons of electric blankets about USD10+ each. Maybe they would sell these in markets closer to China border e.g. Mae Hong Son?

For now, use home-made heating packs. Fill small sack (pillowcase? sock?) with uncooked rice, beans, barley, wheat etc. Close up opening with knot or sew shut. Microwave for 2 mins, the grains retain heat for quite a while. These are also good for sport injuries, neck aches etc.

Dried herbs like a cinnamon stick or dried flowers can be added to the grains for pleasant aroma & also for health-giving odours.

I was going to laugh when I read the electric blanket title having just posted this morning that is was cold,

but then I saw your whole post.

Sorry to hear about your sister in law.

Hope she gets better.

Odd about the low temp as I have always been 2 degrees below normal. But that is why I thought I

melt so easily. Having a lower body temp tends to make you more susceptible to heat.

Must be in her case because it is not her normal operating temp her core is low.

The hot water bottles is a good idea but you know another good idea & you can either get them here

I'm sure or have them made easily is rice packs.Do you have a microwave?

They are packs filled with uncooked rice. You heat them once for 3 minutes & man they hold the heat a long time.

My wife use to make all shapes & sizes great for back aches etc.

After the initial 3 minutes in the microwave they only take 1 or 2 minutes to get reheated.

She would make the pouches out of muslin & the covers out of flannel.

Here are some pics. I'm sure they must have them here

EDIT: heheh I see someone beat me to it & posted the rice bags idea too

Edited by mania

Thanks regarding the heating pads. I have electric heaters but I need more localized heating because she lies on the couch covered with comforters during the day and the living room is much too large to heat. Also my wife gets too hot while her sister is too cold. Complicated logistics. smile.png

Checked Amazon, no 220V versions, will browse e-bay again though the heating pads above sound like they may be ok. My wife has to take her to Suan Dork a few times a week so will mention the pharmacy.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. wai2.gif

Try amazon UK; everything there will match the voltage here...

• Like 1

You could try buying a 240v one from australia.

I would be careful with the refilled coke bottles. Hot water bottle burns are a very signifigent risk of hot water bottles and older people. New rubber ones from any of the chemists here would be better but change them every year or so. The choice in hospitals are those grain filled bags warmed in microwave.

I would be careful with the refilled coke bottles. Hot water bottle burns ....

They can be wrapped in cloth. When still an active athlete (long time ago!) we even used hard-boiled eggs as a hot compress, wrapped them in old socks. They kept the heat far longer than hot water bottles. Best option is the grain-filled bags. They retain heat longest and are least likely to cause burns.

RIght now

Some clever ideas above. OP, what did you end up trying and did it work?

Right now my wife is using the water bottle in a pillow case and is working ok until I can decide on what to order. The uk or au version for ordering was a good idea as they are 220. Problem is they seem to want paypal only and I no longer have an account. Will work out something though, and thanks for all the ideas.