Thai-Built Mg's Coming

IMHO

Following up from reports back in May, China's SAIC and Thailand's CP Group (yep, the company that makes those 7/11 sausages) have now announced a joint venture to product right-hand-drive MG's in Thailand.

Production is said to be ready to start by 2014, and 3 models are expected to be produced - the MG3, MG5 and the MG6. Initial production capacity will be 50,000 units/year with a projected future capacity of 200,000 units/year.

No word yet on domestic sales and distribution, but an announcement on that front is expected next year.

Edited by IMHO

MG_6_main.jpgmg61-500x287.jpg

Chinese giant SAIC signs deal for Thai production of right-hand-drive MG cars

5 December 2012

By RON HAMMERTON

BRITISH-designed cars made in Thailand by a Chinese company are expected to land in Australia as soon as 2014 after China’s biggest motor company, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC), this week signed a joint venture agreement to build MG cars in the Southeast Asian country.

Australia has been named as a key export market for the right-hand drive MG range to be manufactured at a plant operated jointly by SAIC Motor and Thailand’s Charoen Pokphand Group (CP Group).

The new partners announced the deal in Bangkok, with SAIC taking a controlling 51 per cent and CP Group the remainder.

The factory is expected to be completed by 2014 with an initial capacity of 50,000 cars a year, eventually growing to 200,000.

Goauto.com

Paultan.org

More

Made by the Chinese & CP in Thailand? They should rebadge it OMG. rolleyes.gif

Totally agree.

MG's should have two seats, engine at the front driving the back wheels, crappy front suspension using over arm dampers or torsion bars and let in at least 50% of the water that hits the doors when it's raining or am I thinking about E-types. I would fancy one of them built in Chinatland, not.

• Like 1

Those are NOT what I had in mind when I heard 'BG'. I can see them being as popular or, less, than a hyundai and priced is the same bracket.

Would think they would be a lot cheaper being made here, Hyundai's are expensive because they are imports.

Any ballpark idea on prices at this time?

There's not even an official distributor yet.. But considering the MG marque isn't going to have a great deal of brand cache in TH, and that all models seem to fit well with Thai excise taxes, and the fact that they're not going to hit 200,000 units/year without keen pricing, I think it's safe to say they will be reasonably priced.

MG6 is called the 5dr “sports-fastback”....... so will have to under cut the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus....... but will Thais be tempted out of the Honda's and Toyota's ?

​One wonders here as LPG/Gas is going to almost double in price next year, will more diesel models be sold here ?

Those are NOT what I had in mind when I heard 'BG'.

Well actually, the post says "MG".... but yes, "BG" really only does bring one thing to mind, LOL biggrin.png

:)

oops Freudian slip there ...scarily the MG could end up costing a lot more in the long run...whistling.gif

One prototype was recently caught on camera by an auto industry camera bug!

Not sure which model it is tho....but my guess is, probably the tasty one!

post-63954-0-38074900-1355021411_thumb.jpg

That is actually the 7/11 Sausage MG the OP is talking about. Edited by jbrain

post-63954-0-38074900-1355021411_thumb.j

BSJ,

That is MSG not MG. laugh.png

post-63954-0-38074900-1355021411_thumb.j

BSJ,

That is MSG not MG. laugh.png

It's tasty because of the MSG!

The MG 750 model on the web site looks like it was styled by the team at Lada Motors. biggrin.png

Those are NOT what I had in mind when I heard 'BG'. I can see them being as popular or, less, than a hyundai and priced is the same bracket.

Would think they would be a lot cheaper being made here, Hyundai's are expensive because they are imports.

Yep and actually, surprisingly are coveted, especially the Tiburon..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It's tasty because of the MSG!

The MG 750 model on the web site looks like it was styled by the team at Lada Motors. biggrin.png

The Lada look better, very much better, sort of style I like and would buy, beefed up butch Focus ?

post-42643-0-00852100-1355095538_thumb.j

post-42643-0-89335000-1355095569_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

The biggest problem maybe Reliability [MG one automatically thinks of BL and all of them broken down at the side of the road]

South Korean carmaker Hyundai shared sixth place, way above maker like BMW and Benz, or mid range Chevy or Ford..

​Can MG China build cars to = 1st place Lexus ? or even 6th place Hyundai ?

The biggest problem maybe Reliability [MG one automatically thinks of BL and all of them broken down at the side of the road]

South Korean carmaker Hyundai shared sixth place, way above maker like BMW and Benz, or mid range Chevy or Ford..

​Can MG China build cars to = 1st place Lexus ? or even 6th place Hyundai ?

Either way, I hope they can pull it off.....but the review in foreign press were not glowing in their reports. Would be nice to see some more variety to compete with the likes of H&T. They will need to employ up to date technology though; no more 4 speed autos...I did read about a dsg being used in one MG overseas...so there is hope.

MG6 is called the 5dr “sports-fastback”....... so will have to under cut the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus....... but will Thais be tempted out of the Honda's and Toyota's ?

​One wonders here as LPG/Gas is going to almost double in price next year, will more diesel models be sold here ?

this is the first ive heard about lpg going up can someone tell me more.

this is the first ive heard about lpg going up can someone tell me more.

Was big new on Thai TV 3.......... starting next month @ .50 per month, going up to 36 baht as they do away to the subsidies