Coffee Made From Thai Elephant Dung Sells For $50 Per Cup

Lite Beer

Coffee made from Thai elephant dung sells for $50 per cup

Thailand News.Net

BANGKOK: -- Coffee connoisseurs are rushing to Thailand to get a sip of a new brand of gourmet coffee made from beans hand-picked from Thai elephant dung, which cost 5 dollars a cup.

To fill their thirst, wives of mahouts in northern Thailand are eagerly waiting to pick fresh elephant dung.

For the first time in the world, coffee made from pure arabica beans are being slow cooked in the stomachs of a herd of 30 elephants, plucked 30 hours later from their dung, then washed and roasted.

People who have tried Black Ivory Coffee say it tastes of "milk chocolate, nutty, earthy with hints of spice and red berries".

Anantara Hotels, Resorts and Spas, a luxury hotel group, is selling the coffee at its hotels in northern Thailand, the Maldives and Abu Dhabi, with a price tag of US1100 dollars a kilogram.

Continued... http://www.thailandn...-for-50-per-cup

--Thailand News.Net-- 2012-12-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I bet thousands of elephants are cringing at eating coffee beans instead of bananas...every mahout on every corner will be trying it and there will raft of brown market fake dung coffee hitting the streets soonlaugh.png

Just another con to get the Tourist money I doubt the beans are any different and never went near a elephants a##

• Like 1

The original civet coffee was expensive because it came from the wild civets, who only choose to eat the best coffee beans and hence supply was limited and hard to harvest.

Then came civet farms where the cats are fed beans picked for them so they have little choice in the beans they choose.

I am sure the elephants would not normally choose to eat coffee beans, sounds like some one's idea to get rich quick.

The civet has specific enzymes to process to beans, and I am not sure Elephants possess the same enzymes.

There is a distinctive taste to real civet coffee which I enjoyed when working in Manila a few years ago.

Edited by roiethome

»Coffee made from Thai elephant dung sells for $50 per cup«

»Coffee connoisseurs are rushing to Thailand to get a sip of a new brand of gourmet coffee made from beans hand-picked from Thai elephant dung, which cost 5 dollars a cup

So what is the price, $50 per cup or 5 dollars a cup?

• Like 1

»Coffee made from Thai elephant dung sells for $50 per cup«

»Coffee connoisseurs are rushing to Thailand to get a sip of a new brand of gourmet coffee made from beans hand-picked from Thai elephant dung, which cost 5 dollars a cup

So what is the price, $50 per cup or 5 dollars a cup?

dual pricing of coursethumbsup.gif

Number Two pricing?

People will waste their money on anything that is promoted as being exotic. When they conducted a blind taste test on the weasel coffee of Indonesia, it came in dead last. Even behind the cheap supermarket robusta crap. I suppose if you are what you eat (and drink), anyone who spends $50 for a cup of lousy coffee must have elephant shit for brains.whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

First Vietnamese civets. Now Thai elephants. Why not French poodles? Why not gila monsters? Why not Jingthings? We've gone down a slippery slope, coffee lovers, and I'm willing to do my part ...

bet if anyone ever holds a blank test, Thai tongues won't be able to tell the difference.

Just another - successful,though - sheme of making real shit more interesting than the copy.

What about the Mouse-shit-chili ? Has it really been wandering through the mouse tracts until it

delivers the spicyness so famed ?