Russians In Phuket

hansgruber

Anyone else find them anti social and very insular?

I tried chatting with many of them and they come across very cold and unfriendly.

Friends who are in the restaurant business all have horror stories about Russian customers and the terrible behavior displayed and very limited spenders. Sharing a 70 baht soup between 3 people are some of the instances.

This isn't meant to be racist or anything, I just don't understand why they can't even acknowledge anyone with a smile or try to make friends outside their kind.

Anyone have a kind word to say about the Russian influx or is it more of the same?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a few Russian couples stay with us as paying guests. They were all very nice, quiet, no trouble at all. I too have heard many horror stories from other business people about cramming as many people as possible into one room. But so far I have not experienced that.

Same as LIK, we deal with Russian customers on a daily bases, only found them to be polite and friendly, i normally have a chat and a bit of banter with them, no problems so far, the language barrier makes them a bit stand offish, but once they realise were friendly, it's OK

We have a few Russian couples stay with us as paying guests. They were all very nice, quiet, no trouble at all. I too have heard many horror stories from other business people about cramming as many people as possible into one room. But so far I have not experienced that.

Same as LIK, we deal with Russian customers on a daily bases, only found them to be polite and friendly, i normally have a chat and a bit of banter with them, no problems so far, the language barrier makes them a bit stand offish, but once they realise were friendly, it's OK

Ditto.

I've a kind word. post-35489-0-09816800-1355135985.gif

A Russian has just opened a fishing tour shop in soi 'Sunrise' - the one that goes to Chalong bay from Hayek.

I was having lunch next door at Happy Days when he pulls up and unloads a load of stuff into his shop, leaving the pick-up's engine running and chucking out a load of diesel fumes. Lovely.

My friend politely asked him to turn it off because of the smell and my friend said his reply was " **** off". I think he must've misheard.

The guy leaves and comes back again 15 minutes later, and this time turns off his engine. He says to us as he goes back into his shop: "I had to buy a new battery so couldn't turn it off before."

• Like 1

Good so its not all bad. Just wanted another perspective.

What about making friends with Russian expats who live and do business here?

I have just taken on a long term youngish Russian guy in Patong. To be honest it is hard work as he speaks very little English, I have tried to make conversation with him when I do my rounds. But so far I am making no 'friendly' progress.

I have just taken on a long term youngish Russian guy in Patong. To be honest it is hard work as he speaks very little English, I have tried to make conversation with him when I do my rounds. But so far I am making no 'friendly' progress.

That's what I getting at.

Not sure if its the language barrier or culture. Maybe both but its the no emotion that strikes me.

My experiences with Russian guests is slowly improving. Every Russian that has stayed this season has been at least vaguely friendly and no problem at all.

My Russian neighbour speaks excellent English and is very good with us.

Past experience has made me wary of taking Russian guests, mostly in the way they book for two weeks and check out when they have found a cheaper place to stay or state on arrival that they will be staying for a fraction of the days booked. Also some expect something more luxurious than they are paying for, but this applies to other nationalities as well.

Yes, the 7-Eleven is doing a roaring trade, as are some of the street vendors and probably Big C in Patong, but I am starting to wonder if they are learning how to travel.

Now I have said that I now expect some stereotypical Russians to arrive very soon!

My experiences with Russian guests is slowly improving. Every Russian that has stayed this season has been at least vaguely friendly and no problem at all.

I completely agree with that. For some reason Russians seems to have had a bad reputation. Others have mentioned that plenty other nationalities (including my own) can get a bad rap. All countries have good and bad people.

Russians think nobody likes them and their behavior does not improve that image.

My mother told me the only good Russian is a ....one!! she obviously had war time experiences of them!! I have met a few miserable inconsiderate ones but have also met a few very polite ones!!

Its all about booze. When russian on vacation he drinks like there are no tomorow. Cold nature, instability back home, etc.

Also if u wanna understand russians u need to understand there are two russias.

First is Moscow and StPete with well educated people(mostly) and some of them even have manners.

Second is rest of it. Very bad ecology(google Chelyabinsk ot Tagil) , pollution, lack of education. Google pictures of Magnitogorsk, for example. Would u be happy if ud live there?

So at the end Russia is like UK, but 10 times more chavs. Maybe even 20.

So at the end Russia is like UK, but 10 times more chavs. Maybe even 20.

Funny story, Italians and Russians, I do remember that from Hurghada, have mostly only the different language.

But the behavior is almost the same. In special in groups!

But anyway, group traveling folks is almost very difficult to deal with. Doesn't matter, if from England, France, Germany, Italy, ...., .... or Russia!

I hear the quality issues from a Norwegian friend who runs a tour company. You get the nice Vikings, educated, well behaved, appreciative. Then you get the lower income level Vikings. ´Nuff said.

The Russians I know and also teach, are quite nice, friendly, and have a sense of humour. My Far Side cartoons as an English joke demonstration, DOES NOT WORK AT ALL!!!

• Like 1

I taught English through the low season and my students were almost entirely Russian. Out of about 20 students, all but a couple were kind, attentive, and respectful. One young guy would not follow class rules, arrive drunk, text in class, overtly hit on female students and staff, and was a general nuisance to everyone. Another would talk in class, correcting his wife, try to correct me, and was a general nuisance.

Where I work now, a dive shop/hostel/bar, I am around a lot of Russians, some work here, and some are tourists. They are all great. I have not had a single problem with one of them. The only nationality to be kicked out of the hostel so far was German..him and also a bar girl someone brought in the other day.

Then there was a guy standing on the coral at Kata beach and would not stay off after I told him to. Pretty sure he was Russian.

That's what I getting at.

Not sure if its the language barrier or culture. Maybe both but its the no emotion that strikes me.

Bring some Vodka the next time and you'll see the conversation will improve greatly.

On that note, I'll have a White Russian please... rolleyes.gif

Edited by Morakot

The most common problem is a lack of respect, be it towards local customs or a waitress serving them.

Also we have customers of all nationalities but almost only Russians are haggling about the prices.

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect App

''but almost only Russians are haggling about the prices''

Nothing wrong with haggling.

When we lived in Chalong we had Russian neighbors and they were nice people

They are no different than other nationalities some good some bad

How many have you invited over for dinner or gone and had a beer with at a local bar?

None they were neighbors and friendly to talk to, there again i would not invite you over for dinner or want to have a beer in a local bar with you although we could have a interesting conversation, but you would not turn up anyway

The most common problem is a lack of respect, be it towards local customs or a waitress serving them.

Also we have customers of all nationalities but almost only Russians are haggling about the prices.

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect App

As you are Russian can you provide some insight? Here in Pattaya and Vietnam I have noticed that Russian speaking visitors are very forthright when haggling over prices with street vendors, don't back down and so on and you see the Thai vendors getting irritated. Is this the way of doing business in the markets throughout Russian and the now independent states? Also are the general prices for goods/food in Thai tourist locations similar to Russia or cheaper?

Edited by simple1

As a Russian speaker many do not know or see what is being said behind the "friendliness "

For example when a waiter takes their order many will be "friendly" in English but very insulting in Russian ie saying something like " I want Tom yum then in Russian "stupid monkey"

I have many Russian guests in hotel and restaurant and as I mentioned i soeak russian about 95% and only about 5-10% are genuinely friendly.

Many understand what you say but pretend they do not to continue with their silliness. Such as bringing their own beer in to the bar.

I think you will find the ones who come from Moscow or other big city are ok, it's the country pumpkins who do not have a clue or even a desire to learn.

One of the funniest things I seem was at the market . Stall was selling tshirts and had a price attached 250 baht. Russian couple, man asking the Thai seller how much ? Thai guy looked confused as the prices were right there . Anyhow after few seconds of confusion Thai guy comes back with 500 baht. They haggled for 5 mins and agreed on 350 baht.

Russian guy turns to his wife and says in Russian " see he wanted to f...k me but I know the real price" and both walk away happy, only the price was shown right there 250 baht.

• Like 1

I find the Russians to seem a bit cold and unfriendly until you get to know them and then they can be very pleasant people to be around.

I have spent quite a lot of time in Central and Eastern Europe and speak a few of the languages and find Czechs and Poles, amongst others from the region, to be the same in that regard.

Of course there are also some very unpleasant Russians but the same could be said of any nationality.

That's a good story Lemoncake.

I find that there are good and bad people almost everywhere.

I believe the Russians are quite new to traveling in other countries and a bit ignorant in the ways of a good traveler.

Respecting others customs come to mind as the biggest problem but, we are all guilty of that at times I believe.

In time I think they will learn. (hopefully) and maybe learn to smile a little would be nice too.

Their women are pretty hot. Especially the long legged ones from western Russia.

I find the Russians to seem a bit cold and unfriendly until you get to know them and then they can be very pleasant people to be around.

Until you know them?

There is a good chance, on the way to know them, to kill yourself with the used alcohol!