Russians In Phuket

hansgruber

I had a chance to go on a multi-day tour to the Surin Islands last year as the only English-speaking family on a tour with many Russians. I didn't think they were any more rude or demanding than my own countrymen (Americans)...my daughter puked in the van on the way back and they weren't nearly as understanding as Thais would be, but that's about it.

Many Thai tour guides I have spoken to have told me they don't like dealing with Russians in groups, though.

• Like 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Sharing a 70 baht soup between 3 people are some of the instances."

It's quite the opposite of what an expensive restaurant owner told me. Quite often they order pretty much everything on the menu, 2 starters + 2 main course per person on average, plus many cocktails and bottles of vodka.

It's quite the opposite of what an expensive restaurant owner told me. Quite often they order pretty much everything on the menu, 2 starters + 2 main course per person on average, plus many cocktails and bottles of vodka.

all depends on where they come from or come with.

Peagas groups are the "cheap charlies", there are many who have the money and enjoy it and more of those on the opposite.

Its just one instance. I wasn't tarring all with the same brush.

It wasn't meant to be a thread about bad experiences with Russians, it was about understanding them a little better.

It wasn't meant to be a thread about bad experiences with Russians, it was about understanding them a little better.

I used to run a boat out of Chalong and had nothing but good experiences with the Russians. Just have to learn to say "Joot Joot", or something like that, when they start pouring the drinks.

Funnily enough also found most of them drank Bacardi in preference to vodka.

I used to run a boat out of Chalong and had nothing but good experiences with the Russians. Just have to learn to say "Joot Joot", or something like that, when they start pouring the drinks.

joot joot is NOT russian word, seems someone was doing more drinking than the guestslaugh.png

Edited by lemoncake

joot joot is NOT russian word, seems someone was doing more drinking than the guestslaugh.png

Not sure of the cyrillic spelling, but I think that phonetically it's 'choot choot', which means 'a little'.

Edited by pagallim

A bit of jealousy from other expats i think because they prefer to deal with Russian speaking people and they are missing out on business

You actually made me laugh with this response.

Who in this thread is jealous on losing out on business? I can't find it.

I've had hundreds of Russians pass me and when I look at their face and their eyes it's like looking at the eyes of a black cat in a room full of empty rocking chairs.

It seem like after generations of humiliating treatment they've decided it's pay back time.

They better be quick, if Putin gets his way, they don't have much time left this side of the wall, fence, border.

I had a chance to go on a multi-day tour to the Surin Islands last year as the only English-speaking family on a tour with many Russians. I didn't think they were any more rude or demanding than my own countrymen (Americans)...my daughter puked in the van on the way back and they weren't nearly as understanding as Thais would be, but that's about it.

Many Thai tour guides I have spoken to have told me they don't like dealing with Russians in groups, though.

' I didn't think they were any more rude or demanding than my own countrymen (Americans).''

That's for sure! only good thing being, the yanks don't hang around in packs.

' I didn't think they were any more rude or demanding than my own countrymen (Americans).''

Check that with the Muay Thai / MMA camps and the surrounding bars. You might be surprised!

• Like 1

Check that with the Muay Thai / MMA camps and the surrounding bars. You might be surprised!

''Surprised'' wouldn't be the word!

The Russians I know have always seemed okay and polite and it seems that they are the ones snapping up properties indeed if you are the Steve that once owned a property on Koh Phangan I believe that they now own your old villa along with the two others opposite and have turned it into a mini resort. My new neighbours in Phangan are from Moscow and as yet no problems or issues !!!!!!!!!!

Please allow me to retract my previous slightly more complimentary comment about Russians in Phuket.

After a no-show on a 40,000 baht booking yesterday and another two rooms after an early checkout, I am going to do my best to avoid Russians booking at my place. I am pretty sure I won't get a single baht from the first group and will have difficulty getting a penalty payment from the second, especially as I'm away right now (mainly due to the way the web-booking site works).

These people seem to have no concept of acceptable business practices and I am completely fed up with it.

• Like 1

just an observance, why do so many Russians, ( men and women) have so many tattoo's ? many look like ex cons with their bodies covered in ink.

They're probably Australians, not Russians. Strine can also sound like Russian to the uninitiated.

One possibility

The other one is 'business field' and/or social enviroment..

Like every where else, toowhistling.gif

Edited by noob7

just an observance, why do so many Russians, ( men and women) have so many tattoo's ? many look like ex cons with their bodies covered in ink.

They're probably Australians, not Russians. Strine can also sound like Russian to the uninitiated.

Yep totally agree. They are more than likely from Oz or NZ. I am Australian but don’t have a body covered with ink. The younger oz guy/girl is making the tattooist a very wealthy profession in oz. No problem with the tatts as long as the attitude stays back in OZ/NZ.

Yep totally agree. They are more than likely from Oz or NZ. I am Australian but don’t have a body covered with ink. The younger oz guy/girl is making the tattooist a very wealthy profession in oz. No problem with the tatts as long as the attitude stays back in OZ/NZ.

If their from Australia they speak an language that does not resemble english at all::::-)

• Like 1

okay don't live in Phuket..but during frequent visits find them pretty nice people...language barriers is gonna make many assume the worst...

remember this freedom is all new to them..you have had it always!....?

Okay they are suspicious and maybe don't smile............years of police state..maybe!?

.......ever sat on #128 bus in UK?

Happy campers hugh?....lol?!!

Leave 'em alone..they want a holiday..treat 'em with respect and who knows they may want to come back??

• Like 1

If their from Australia they speak an language that does not resemble english at all::::-)

Kaza is just amusing himself playing his usual game of baiting Aussies.

Don't bite.