How To React When Your Accelerator Or Cruise Control Jammed?

Cobrabiker

One day I was watching T.V. and saw a driver with his car's cruise control jammed, after some searching I found that it happened to quite a number of Ford suv, alsoToyota cars have floor mats stucked to the accelerator problem and are recalling, after further search, I found that this problem like accelerator/ cruise control jammed, can happen to any car, and if you are not prepared for it, maybe keep praying. So please make youself and anyone driving understand the procedures and you will not be out of your mind when such emergency happens, before it is too late!

[media]

[/media]

These are what I have found,

1) step on the brake hard but don't jammed on it, keeps up the pressure until car stops, do not pump the brake, here is why

http://news.consumer...the-brakes.html

2) shift it to neutral immediately (don't wait until car has stoped)

And it is not advisable to turn off the engine, as you may over turn it and lock the steering wheel, no power brake too.

http://www.edmunds.c...ay-vehicle.html

http://news.consumer...toyota-sua.html

http://www.caranddri...ed-acceleration

http://autos.ca.msn....mentid=23631868

[media]

[/media]

I was wondering those cars with elecronic gear, so called E Gear without a stick shift, is it possible to shift to neutral?

• Like 1

Hi Cobrabiker,

Thanks for passing this information on, hopefully I will never have to use your advice but if I do I should now be prepared.

The problem is that when something like this happens, instinct takes over as you don't have time to think about what to do.

I have the Toyota Camry (2009 model) and after the first week of owning it I took out the top mat because it kept slipping and bunching up under the accelerator pedal and I realized straight away that the accelerator pedal could get trapped under the mat.

About 6 months later Toyota recalled the Camry and changed the mats but the recall did not extend to Thailand (as far as I am aware and according to the local Toyota dealers).

Maybe they did do a recall but forgot to inform the customers.

I have never seen a recall notice for this problem in Thailand and it has never been mentioned by Toyota during my scheduled services.

Considering that the problem was also in the Thai made vehicles and that Toyota Thailand are fully aware of this problem and its dangers, by not carrying out a recall they are knowingly risking the lives of their customers for the sake of a few Baht.

Regards,

Tiger.

Edited by tonytigerbkk

in the past I woulda said to switch off the ignition and then use the parking brake to stop but that was before the steering wheel lock attached to the ignition...

maybe better to do what I do and sit in the back and play with the kids and hope that the driver knows what he's doing...and I've been lucky in that regard as I watch and assess their judgement from a safety perspective and thus far in Thailand there haven't been any problems...

once on the outskirts of BKK at freeway speed on a busy road the windscreen shattered but stayed intact and the BiL driver remained calm and in control and brought the motor safely to a stop...I screamed as I thought that we were gonna die...the BiL did a good job, much better than I would have been capable of...

You would have to be out of your bleedin' mind to use cruise control in on the roads in Thailand. Good way to kill yourself and/or someone else...

Most cars don't have it anyway...because (See above)

Totally disagree. And yes, a lot of cars do have cruise control here.

in the past I woulda said to switch off the ignition and then use the parking brake to stop but that was before the steering wheel lock attached to the ignition...

maybe better to do what I do and sit in the back and play with the kids and hope that the driver knows what he's doing...and I've been lucky in that regard as I watch and assess their judgement from a safety perspective and thus far in Thailand there haven't been any problems...

once on the outskirts of BKK at freeway speed on a busy road the windscreen shattered but stayed intact and the BiL driver remained calm and in control and brought the motor safely to a stop...I screamed as I thought that we were gonna die...the BiL did a good job, much better than I would have been capable of...

Tu turn the ignition off and use the parking brake is a receipt for disaster. There are only two reason to engage the parking brake if your car is moving.

1.) you can`t reach the paddle (for example you are in your favorite position in the back biggrin.png , driver passed out)

2.) you want to make a stunt to impress or scare the shit out of your passengers tongue.png

If you move your steering wheel just a little bit with a pulled parking brake, your car will turn, for most people beyond control.

This is the correct answer.

Throw it into neutral and brake till you stop then sort out the prob.

The chance to encounter a jammed OEM cruise control are probably the same or less than an airplane crash.

You would have to be out of your bleedin' mind to use cruise control in on the roads in Thailand. Good way to kill yourself and/or someone else...

I recently made a post that cruise control was probably more of a toy than a useful tool here in Thailand. I've changed my mind. I just purchased a car with cruise, and I've used it a ton in just the first few days. I didn't realize how much I missed it from back home. Its totally usable here when conditions permit, and conditions do permit more than I thought they would.

I agree with you, cruise in the hands of a LOS native with their driving ability/sense, is a recipe for disaster. In the hands of a farang and what happens on the roads here every day, risky. sad.png

And it is not advisable to turn off the engine, as you may over turn it and lock the steering wheel, no power brake too.

When did they introduced electrical power brakes? As far as I know, as long as the crankshaft is turning you'll have power brakes.

Edited by Semper

I never used cruise control in the past although it was available...but then in saudi I was given a 3.5l SUV to drive and considered the possibilities...

in saudi there are desert highways that are vacant and cruise control seems like a good idea...but Thailand is a more congested country and being in total control of the vehicle is a necessity...

the last time I was behind a wheel in Thailand was over 10 years ago in a rented car...life is short and the aspect of a stress free existence is an appealing one...

I've always ever owned vehicles that were not capable of more than 100kph and then a boss said: 'pick up my car and bring it over, will ye?...' it happened to be a Porshe Carrera and then I said: 'let's see what this mother can do...' and I floored it on the rail overpass in Emeryville, CA...we were almost launched into space and I never tried that again...

better to stay in the back and play with the kids...I have found that I cannot drive high performance cars as my driving skills are not good enough...

but one time I was given the opportunity to operate a CAT D7 on a small landing in the forest in Oregon and that turned out OK...it gave me confidence and my fear of the recent technology was minimized...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

in saudi there are desert highways that are vacant and cruise control seems like a good idea...but Thailand is a more congested country and being in total control of the vehicle is a necessity...

And what is the connection between cruise control and not being in control of the vehicle?

please note the subject of this thread...

now... we know that the cruise control can be disabled with a touch of the brake pedal and when you have advance warning of a problem (like a huge sand truck reversing in the middle of the road in the vacant saudi desert) there is an interval when the appropriate arrangement with the 3.5l SUV can be obtained...in a congested situation there is no such interval and ye need eyes in the back of yer heid...cruise control in this instance is inappropriate as should be obvious...

(why is it that a stentorian manner on an internet thread always gets up my nose?)

• Like 1

When did they introduced electrical power brakes? As far as I know, as long as the crankshaft is turning you'll have power brakes.

As you might not be technically conversant: Power brakes are either vacuum operated or hydraulically. Either requires a RUNNING engine.

If you turn off the the engine, this means the crank is not turning. You do not need to turn the key all the way back. The steering lock does not engage then.

You can use the brakes and steer, but it is quite heavy.

I did have a throttle stuck WOT in Australia on my VC Commodore V8. Happened 3 times. The 1st two times all I needed to do was stomp on the gas pedal and it popped back. The 3rd time that did not work. Luckily, I was on a gravel field and literally stood on the brake and switched off the engine. Some problem with the carb throttle shaft stuck in the bearings.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

A few years ago,an American,took delivery of a Winnebago (luxury camper).

On inaugural outing set the cruise control,and proceeded to the accommodation area to brew a coffee,thinking the cruise control would take care of the driving end.

Oops.

Beggars belief.

Explain that to the insurance company.

I recently made a post that cruise control was probably more of a toy than a useful tool here in Thailand. I've changed my mind. I just purchased a car with cruise, and I've used it a ton in just the first few days. I didn't realize how much I missed it from back home. Its totally usable here when conditions permit, and conditions do permit more than I thought they would.

A lot of the motorcyclists here do not have driving licence, and a lot of commando drivers don't give a shit, so imagine when these drivers are dashing across or making a u turn, and when you hit the brake and your cruise control do nothing, you are going to hit them and maybe kill them. So your best bet is not to use it. I was told even if you have insurance, if the stupid rider was killed by you, you still need to compensate them 500k to 1 million baht. I was told, but have not experience killing one yet, maybe someone here who had such experience can advice more.

Edited by Cobrabiker
  • Like 1

A lot of the motorcyclists here do not have driving licence, and a lot of commando drivers don't give a shit, so imagine when these drivers are dashing across or making a u turn, and when you hit the brake and your cruise control do nothing, you are going to hit them and maybe kill them. So your best bet is not to use it. I was told even if you have insurance, if the stupid rider was killed by you, you still need to compensate them 500k to 1 million baht. I was told, but have not experience killing one yet, maybe someone here who had such experience can advice more.

You're presuming your cruise control is stuck so advising not to use cruise control, plus you're thinking you have to pay money above your insurance limitations if you're not to blame for the accident.

Both don't make sense.

You're presuming your cruise control is stuck so advising not to use cruise control, plus you're thinking you have to pay money above your insurance limitations if you're not to blame for the accident.

Both don't make sense.

Nobody is gonna stop you if you think it is safe, I am simply pointing out the potential danger of cruise control.

For the extra money compensation, please go and re read, whether it makes sense to you or not does not apply to this country, as many things here don't make sense.

I always use cruise control on my drives from Pattaya to Bangkok. Find it most convenient in many ways.

If the unlikely event happens that the thingmy doesn't disengage? Breaking harder would be the first natural reaction. Once you realize that there is something very wrong, shift gear into neutral, this should do the trick. Warning lights on and try to switch off the cruise control. If this still doesn't work (you would notice the engine reving at max), switch the ignition off for a moment and restart. This should reset the whole electronic behind the scenes.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App