Pattaya Police Arrest German In Fake Driving License Scam

Rimmer

why foreigners need driving license ? usually tourists have international driving license , resident have Thai license .... and yes much cheaper ... did he sell any of those to some thai drivers ? that would explain how bad some can be .tongue.pngtongue.png

' Thai drivers ' -- don't be silly, 99% of Thai drivers don't have a license.....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Thai wife pays only 500 baht to get a real drivers license. I paid 1000 and got also a real license whistling.gif

and its not like the test requires you to be driver of the year, or even know what a road looks like for that matter.

True, but you have to know the differance between red and green.

Since when has Germany and Switzerland been the same country, either you are German fro Germany or Swiss from Switzerland?

Read the article before posting - A Swiss guy from Switzerland reported a German guy from Germany - two people - two nationalities - two countries.

Obviously DGS1244 cannot tell any difference between the two pictures and thinks they're of the same person.....hope you don't drive as well DGS1244 !!!!!

I do not have a thai driver license. Don't plan on getting one either. I have been stopped 3 times at police checkpoints around Ubon and asked for my driver license. I handed them my Nevada license and it works just fine. No one has ever challenged it. thumbsup.gif

You remind me of a very clever American friend, living here for eight or more years. Guess he'd rather sell his grand mom before making his license. I just don't know why.....

450 baht and you'll have both- one for your Moped and one for a car.

You'll understand why it's useful, when you've got an accident. Even if it's not your fault.

Don't look for challenge here, as you'll find it sooner or later---wai.gif

Also when stopped because of a white face they tell you to go if you have a Thai license, unless of course you live in Bangkok then it can be anything from 200 Baht to a 1000, have been accused on Suhkumvit of driving whilst talking on the phone though no phone in the car, stripped off in the street to prove it and they quickly told me to F off, however on reflection I would not reccomend this as a yabba pill found in the glove compartment would have seen me banged up ( planted ) of course. Such is life in the land of smiles. ( but they do have the best looking chicks in the world )

why foreigners need driving license ? usually tourists have international driving license , resident have Thai license .... and yes much cheaper ... did he sell any of those to some thai drivers ? that would explain how bad some can be .tongue.pngtongue.png

NB : International Driving Licence - is actually a Permit, and more importantly, it is Legal to drive on one in LOS for only 3 months. Check with a lawyer if you want to confirm. Validity (1 year) and Legality (3 months) - very different. Not that the average BiB would know or give a dam_n even if he did !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Can't understand the animosity towards the Swiss man.

You would prefer that another scam artist fleeces a few more people ?

By your definition, anyone reporting a scam or fraud is wrong ?

You don't grass. Ever. Never volunteer information to the police or the government.

You sound like an ex con! They never grass

Since when has Germany and Switzerland been the same country, either you are German fro Germany or Swiss from Switzerland?

Read the article before posting - A Swiss guy from Switzerland reported a German guy from Germany - two people - two nationalities - two countries.

Obviously DGS1244 cannot tell any difference between the two pictures and thinks they're of the same person.....hope you don't drive as well DGS1244 !!!!!

I thought it was obvious that DGS1244 was replying to the previous post by tragickingdom who said:

Mr. Wetzer is just another foreigner that loves to make an impression with the police most probably working as an volunteer for the tourist police trying to screw his fellow countrymen.

Prompting DGS1244's comment since the scammer and the reporter in this case are from different countries and consequently not fellow countrymen.

Maybe people should read the posts a little more carefully and give them the benefit of the doubt before trying to correct other posters. wink.png

Sophon

Swedish and/or a folded gray paper (my international DL) seams to work fine so far , 18 month now and no complain yet! biggrin.png

International drivers licenses issued in the US expire after 12 months. At least mine does. It is so much easier with a Thai license. The Thai police are very happy to see it, and you get Thai prices at so many different attractions.

Aussie also, you get them through the state motoring organizations, just show your licence answer a few questions ,pay, all done, normally you stand in the line for service longer than it takes to get the IDL

Why would anyone pay 15k for something that can be got legitimately for a fraction of that?

Exactly!!! Also, most Thai cops will accept a driver's license from wherever it is the driver comes from. It doesn't have to be a Thai driver's license.

Swedish and/or a folded gray paper (my international DL) seams to work fine so far , 18 month now and no complain yet! biggrin.png

International drivers licenses issued in the US expire after 12 months. At least mine does. It is so much easier with a Thai license. The Thai police are very happy to see it, and you get Thai prices at so many different attractions.

You don't need a Thai DL to get the discounts, just tell them, "Somchai told me you give a farang discountI," and they usually will oblige with some laughter and by charging you like a Thai. Seriously. It works.

You don't need a Thai DL to get the discounts, just tell them, "Somchai told me you give a farang discountI," and they usually will oblige with some laughter and by charging you like a Thai. Seriously. It works.

All International Driving Permits have only a 1 year validity. If they list a longer validity they are not real. It's actually written into the Geneva Conventions act that they have only 1 year validity.

EDIT: It was amended in 2011 to allow 3 years max validity...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Validation

According to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, an IDP remains valid for one year from the date of issue. However, according to the Vienna Convention, an IDP remains valid for no more than three years from the date of issue, or until the expiration date of national driving permit, whichever is earlier. An IDP is not valid for driving in the country where it was issued.