Americans Fight For Right To Bear Arms - At Work

webfact

Americans fight for right to bear arms - at work

Margaret Newkirk

WASHINGTON: -- Republican-dominated legislatures in at least four US states are planning to consider allowing employees to bring guns to work, turning two of the party’s traditional constituencies against each other: gun-rights supporters and businesses.

The measures, backed by the National Rifle Association, would allow workers in Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and Pennsylvania to keep weapons locked and hidden in their cars in employee parking areas.

Seventeen states have approved similar measures since 2003, according to a tally by the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco.

The laws have prompted opposition from companies such as FedEx and Volkswagen.

The law’s proponents say the measures are needed to protect employees during commutes. They say that employers who ban guns on their property are preventing workers from possessing their weapons when they commute, leaving them vulnerable to attack.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...1213-2bc23.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-12-13

footer_n.gif

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Imagine if they raised taxes a smidgen.

They could afford to pay more police and provide better teachers in schools so kids didn't end up in cycles or poverty and crime.

This is outsourcing of law enforcement pure and simple. Yep, but the Republicans would outsource their mother if they could.

If they are being consistent with their philisophy, they should downsize the military too.

With the police, the cities ask for more revenue then build community centers, etc, then when they have pissed away that money, they come back and ask for more saying they are going to lose police and firefighters. As for schools, no doubt better teachers would help, but it's more of a society problem than just education.

• Like 1

Imagine if they raised taxes a smidgen.

They could afford to pay more police and provide better teachers in schools so kids didn't end up in cycles or poverty and crime.

This is outsourcing of law enforcement pure and simple. Yep, but the Republicans would outsource their mother if they could.

If they are being consistent with their philisophy, they should downsize the military too.

America should allow it's police to collect their own wages ....... same as Thailand.

Boy that was a hard story to find. I just searched using google under news and did not fine one newspaper in the USA who carried the story. Apparently it is only running in Australia. I searched, "Americans fight for the right to bear arms-at work, and I get the Newcastle Herald. Is this big news in Australia? Just asking....smile.png

here's the original Bloomberg source. The author is located in Atlanta

Guns-to-Work Laws Spread in U.S. as Business Fights NRA

http://www.bloomberg...ghts-group.html

Sorry I got it now. The headline makes all the difference. Americans fight for right to bear arms goes to Aussie newspapers while Guns to work Laws goes to Bloomberg. Thanks for the clarification.

here's the original Bloomberg source. The author is located in Atlanta

Guns-to-Work Laws Spread in U.S. as Business Fights NRA

http://www.bloomberg...ghts-group.html

Sorry I got it now. The headline makes all the difference. Americans fight for right to bear arms goes to Aussie newspapers while Guns to work Laws goes to Bloomberg. Thanks for the clarification.

I think the reason why the headlines are different between the papers is, well, the papers are different.

Thats the funny thing with Google / Bing etc. Be too literal, and you tend to limit the effectiveness.

Kinda like bible thumpin' Republicans....

Hardly wait for the replies to this. wink.png

They are pushing the self defense apect of this, but there are a lot of hunters in those states and it can be convenient to carry equipment to hunt before or after work.

laugh.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif Funniest thing I've heard on a while, thank you

Not everyone picks up road kill on the way home some prefer to shoot their own.biggrin.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Strangely this sentence is in the opening post:

"Seventeen states have approved similar measures since 2003, according to a tally by the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...while this sentence from the original article is conveniently omitted:

"Guns-to-work legislation has failed in 12 states in the past two years, including Alabama, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and South Carolina, where lawmakers say they’ll push the measures as legislatures convene next year."