Confused About Where To Live

beachguy

Hey folks,

I'm from Canada Canuck land and I wanted to first say hello to everyone and thanks for letting me join this great informative forum. I'm always up for making new friends and I enjoy meeting people from all different Countries. I think every Country has something to offer everyone!

Since I have been In Thailand twice before as a tourist I finally came back a third time to live. I am currently in Bangkok and I find it is not offering me what I really wanted. I know there are no beaches in Bangkok but I was willing to give that up for the amenities but I still find that no matter how hard I try to forget living closer to the sea, I don't find the city is all that great unless you like partying and good food.

I know that is a great point but I think it's just too overcrowded etc... anyway I don't want to ramble on here I just want to get to the point of what I seek and what I have been told. I'm hoping someone here can direct me into the right area .

I work online over the phone at night so I would need a good solid phone connection, I was told by TOT down south is better because it is closer to the major Countries like Singapore etc..sounds like hoopla, but who knows.

I obviously want a nice beach

Close to a shopping area a city not too big not too small

friendly environment

relatively good dating scene

not too much of a party atmosphere but enough to have fun when I want to

safe place

interesting things to do (movie cinema, bowling, etc..)

Good rental rate

What I have been told:

Pattaya - shitty beach, muggings, whores everywhere, filthy

Rayong- great beach but too much toxic pollution

Chaam- good for the beach but not much to do or shop

Hua Hin- getting too commercial and getting pricey

Am I looking for what everyone else is or am I dreaming in technicolor?

I can live anywhere in Thailand so please tell me i'm not dreaming and

there is a place for me in Thailand?

Thanks

Edited by beachguy

My recommendation:

TRAVEL!!! You are in BKK, so take 3-4 days for each of the places you think or hear about and explore them for yourself!!!

You hear 4 negative arguments from somebody about Pattaya... lot of other people (me included) can give you 10 positive arguments, like great beaches north of Pattaya up to Chonburi, neither filth nor whores in the various villages around Pattaya, GREAT nightlife and shopping places and restaurants when ever you need them etc etc.

Question is whether you want to listen to all the either negative or positive talkers and make decisions based on hear-say or whether you want to go out and see for yourself.

I'm with Swiss on this. Don't strike Pattaya off your list because of a few negitive perceptions. I'm willing to bet that there were working girls where you come from in Canada as well and muggings are not really worth worrying about.

Edited by canman

Cha-Am can be very quiet. A lot of people seem to go to bed early and there is not a great deal to do at night. The people are friendly though.

I'm not so sure Hua Hin is that expensive. There is certainly more life in Hua Hin than Cha-Am.

Pattaya? Well, Pattaya is what you make it. As many tell you there is violence according to news reports, yet I have never actually witnessed any here myself. Put it this way, in any city in the world there are going to be victims, especially those people who do not use a bit of common sense, especially at night, where you go and who you consort with. The beach is not clean yet you can go out to the islands where the beaches are cleaner.

Others obviously know their own areas better.

Life is what you make of it. I come from a small seaside town in the UK and am not a fan of big cities either. Maybe you should use BKK as a base and travel around a little bit to see what YOU think of places as everyone's ideas and ideals are different.

What about a city / town where there are lakes so you can have a shoreline?

Look at google maps for Thailand and see what town and places are in areas you might fancy? Then go to the local forums here in thaivisa and ask some pertinent questions for that area.

• Like 1

My recommendation:

TRAVEL!!! You are in BKK, so take 3-4 days for each of the places you think or hear about and explore them for yourself!!!

You hear 4 negative arguments from somebody about Pattaya... lot of other people (me included) can give you 10 positive arguments, like great beaches north of Pattaya up to Chonburi, neither filth nor whores in the various villages around Pattaya, GREAT nightlife and shopping places and restaurants when ever you need them etc etc.

Question is whether you want to listen to all the either negative or positive talkers and make decisions based on hear-say or whether you want to go out and see for yourself.

I agree - take time to travel and see the different parts. Strike off Pattaya by all means, but do it on the basis of your own observations - not others' opinions.

I had a friend who had 'a good beach' at the top of his wish list - he finished up in Chiang Mai because it ticked all his other boxes so strongly.

Huay Yai, easy access to Jomtien, Ban Amphur, Bang Saray, Satthahip, Ban Chang and Rayong beaches, 20 plus golf courses within an hours drive, numerous tourist attractions close by, go straight to Bangkok or Rayong without having to go through Pattaya, Quiet stress free living, BUT, the madness of Pattaya (and it is no worse than Bangkok despite what your friends would have you believe!) and all it entails is only 15 minutes away should the need arise!!

As H and H said there is no perfect place.

Hua HIn if you are staying in a decent beach front hotel is good for a weekend or so, but apart from that there really isn'

t anything to do. The nightlife is appalling and as you said it's overpriced to eat which is poor everywhere.

Pattaya is probably better for someone who wants nightlife, but it seems to be taking Hua hins family holiday business both farang and Thai because the hotels are better now, the nightlife is better, the shops are far better, the food is far better and cheaper, daytime entertainment is far better and the beach isn't great but at least it isn't covered in horses 'supervised' by drunk idiots and their droppings. Plus the place has lots of farangs speaking your language and interested in the same things which to me stuck in Chonburi City would be a major bonus.

If you want a good dating scene with girls that are financially independent then you really need to be In Bangkok or the eastern seaboard plus there are far more girls better educated in those places who have learned English outside of a bar. Sure there are girls like this in other places , but it is BK and the ES where the work mainly is so far more chance of meeting someone. Move to a tourist place or country place and you may only have undercover bargirls and golddiggers approaching you.

Sri Racha is nice and plenty of girls there, but no beach really in the town ones along the coast though. Good restaurants and a cinema, there must be a bowling alley and some shopping centres aimed at Thais though really. Close to Pattaya and not too far from Bangkok or even Bang Saen for a beer. There is plenty of farangs around the place. A short boat ride to Koh Si Chang and not too far a drive to head down to Koh Samedt.

• Like 1

Quite a "wish list". You may not find it all in one single place. Only one way to find out: TRAVEL ! Head for the Isaan, crossover to Chiang May and head all the way south. On the way back to Bangkok hit all the nice beaches along the way. I assume you have time, so take the bus.

It may well be, that upon the end of your journey, you will decide not to live in Thailand at all. It's for you to find out and nobody else.

Cheers.

Your statement about Rayong is only partly correct. The current of the sea there passes Rayong, coming from Cambodia and going towards Pattaya. The big industrial area is to the West of Rayong which means that the beaches to the east are ok. Best seafood you can get is there IMO. Rayong offers about all what you are seeking for. Good food, good nightlife, not to big a city and a beautiful country side. You have to explore it for a while before you are able to see and find the good places. But this will be everywhere where you go for the first time. As somebody mentioned before, travel for a while and get stuck where you feel best. Good luck, welcome to Thailand

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Wow you guys are really great so much information yet so much to consider..

is it possible to have a vote?

Based on my criteria a beach is important

so keeping that in mind as safeguard i wish I could visit

all these places but I do have to stick close to my landline

I have been to Pattaya once I like the food and I felt

it was easier to meet other foreigners from different places

but I got this pay me for sex vibe going on type of feel

that really sickened me. It seems to have everything else

I want but is it worth living there with the sense of unease?

Is there a place close to Pattaya that I can escape all that?

I don't have a motor bike yet and I rather avoid those things

although I drove one in China & Taiwan I feel safer in a taxi.

I don't want to be a stones throw away in a sense that

if I just hop onto this or that I will be there in 15 minutes..

I want to be there..I guess I am dreaming.

My recommendation:

I want people's opinions who have more experience than me, and who have been in Thailand

alot longer that are more equipped to help me settle. It's nice to see things for myself but i'm

sure the people here know what they are talking about and I want to hear their opinions.

I am sure they know what a small and medium size city looks like

a nice beach

a cinema and a bowling alley looks like

I don't need to go to these places to find this information

that's why I came here, and their view points matter.

Thank you

Don't go to Phuket, it's the crime capital of Thailand.

The beaches are all filthy and overun with Russian tourists.

All locals, and most expats, will rip you off in any transaction you try to do, and the mafia will rob you blind.

You will have a better than even chance of being murdered in your first year there.

Don't go to Phuket, I spent five minutes in Patong 15 years ago, and am an expert on the place.

• Like 1

Chanthaburi for you young man.

I obviously want a nice beach Check Yes

Close to a shopping area a city not too big not too small Check Yes

friendly environment Check Yes

relatively good dating scene Check yes

not too much of a party atmosphere but enough to have fun when I want to Check Yes

safe place Check yes

interesting things to do (movie cinema, bowling, etc..) Check yes

Good rental rate Check yes

• Like 1

I don't know why everyone is so hard on Pattaya. It has a lot to offer in the way of shopping and nightlife. The rougher bits are mostly contained in a couple of small areas that are easy to avoid. I'm a Canadian female and had no problem getting around on a rented scooter while I was there. You just have to learn to go with the flow. Yes, the beaches right in front of the sprawled city are rather dirty, but you don't HAVE to swim. You can take a short ferry ride to Koh Larn island for that. Or, you can easily ride a half hour south to Sattahip and find that lovely beach near the military base. It's like you just landed in Tahiti. Because Pattaya was over built, there are good deals in accommodation if you don't mind walking a bit and don't have to be right on the beach.

I also agree with Rayong, even though it starts to get a bit far away if you want to travel to Bangkok. There are many almost deserted beaches near Rayong, but just not right in the city.

I'm currently in Chiang Mai because i love the mountains, but still want the advantages of living in a city. I can always plan a week or so at any one of Thailand's beach areas.

My recommendation:

I want people's opinions who have more experience than me, and who have been in Thailand

alot longer that are more equipped to help me settle. It's nice to see things for myself but i'm

sure the people here know what they are talking about and I want to hear their opinions.

a nice beach

Thank you

From the 15 answers you got, around 10 tell you TRAVEL and see the places yourself.

Do you really want to make a decision based on few view points that you get in this forum???

As you see above, for every negative statement, you get at least one positive statement.

Medium size city with beach, cinema, bowling??? DOZENS if not hundreds available all around Thailand coast lines... Imagine you get 20 different recommendations... how do you want to chose the right one???

TRAVEL... and that's my last statement for you and it is really meant to help you.

My recommendation:

a nice beach

Thank you

From the 15 answers you got, around 10 tell you TRAVEL and see the places yourself.

Do you really want to make a decision based on few view points that you get in this forum???

As you see above, for every negative statement, you get at least one positive statement.

Medium size city with beach, cinema, bowling??? DOZENS if not hundreds available all around Thailand coast lines... Imagine you get 20 different recommendations... how do you want to chose the right one???

TRAVEL... and that's my last statement for you and it is really meant to help you.

alright alright

i respect what you say.

I will be visiing Chonburi

thank you

Edited by beachguy

not too much of a party atmosphere but enough to have fun when I want to Check Yes

safe place Check yes

I think I will be doing more research in this place

and I will visit, thank you for this input,

is 39 still young? haha cheers!

Edited by beachguy

Good rentals (price and standard) around Ban Chang which places you well for the beaches east of Rayong. I mean living on the beach may be a box that needs checking but in my years as the international gypsy, the only beaches worth living on were in northern Brazil and southern Mozambique. There are very few beaches worth it in Thailand these days IMHO; perhaps Sichon and southwards in Nakhon Si Thammarat? There should be no issues with getting a fast and reliable phone line in Ban Chang either. Dating in the provinces may be more challenging for a relative newbie (3 Thailand trips). How did the OP do in that regard in the hub of nice girls that is called Bangkok? I guess one needs to speak the language enough to find out the hot spots and then bite your tongue lest you get tarred with the monger-on-an-away-day, married on a loose leash or bitter and twisted divorcee brushes!

I'm with Swiss on this. Don't strike Pattaya off your list because of a few negitive perceptions. I'm willing to bet that there were working girls where you come from in Canada as well and muggings are not really worth worrying about.

Yes there are alot of whores in Canada more than you can shake a stick at,

and yes in my city we have Mafia, and I know how to avoid and get along with them

but in Thailand i'm alone so i just mind my own business, same as I do in Canada.

I will be visiting Pattaya as well..

Thank you

Cha-Am can be very quiet. A lot of people seem to go to bed early and there is not a great deal to do at night. The people are friendly though.

I'm not so sure Hua Hin is that expensive. There is certainly more life in Hua Hin than Cha-Am.

Pattaya? Well, Pattaya is what you make it. As many tell you there is violence according to news reports, yet I have never actually witnessed any here myself. Put it this way, in any city in the world there are going to be victims, especially those people who do not use a bit of common sense, especially at night, where you go and who you consort with. The beach is not clean yet you can go out to the islands where the beaches are cleaner.

Others obviously know their own areas better.

Life is what you make of it. I come from a small seaside town in the UK and am not a fan of big cities either. Maybe you should use BKK as a base and travel around a little bit to see what YOU think of places as everyone's ideas and ideals are different.

What about a city / town where there are lakes so you can have a shoreline?

Look at google maps for Thailand and see what town and places are in areas you might fancy? Then go to the local forums here in thaivisa and ask some pertinent questions for that area.

I do like fishing and this seems like a wise idea, I will do more research before

heading off in this direction..thank you

Don't go to Phuket, it's the crime capital of Thailand.

The beaches are all filthy and overun with Russian tourists.

All locals, and most expats, will rip you off in any transaction you try to do, and the mafia will rob you blind.

You will have a better than even chance of being murdered in your first year there.

Don't go to Phuket, I spent five minutes in Patong 15 years ago, and am an expert on the place.

This is a shame, there's nothing worse than naturalistic wonders that go to waste due to the abuse

of nature.

Wow you guys are really great so much information yet so much to consider..

is it possible to have a vote?

Based on my criteria a beach is important

so keeping that in mind as safeguard i wish I could visit

all these places but I do have to stick close to my landline

I have been to Pattaya once I like the food and I felt

it was easier to meet other foreigners from different places

but I got this pay me for sex vibe going on type of feel

that really sickened me. It seems to have everything else

I want but is it worth living there with the sense of unease?

Is there a place close to Pattaya that I can escape all that?

I don't have a motor bike yet and I rather avoid those things

although I drove one in China & Taiwan I feel safer in a taxi.

I don't want to be a stones throw away in a sense that

if I just hop onto this or that I will be there in 15 minutes..

I want to be there..I guess I am dreaming.

The Dark Side of Pattaya? East of Sukhumvit Road. Some very good housing estates with 2 bedroom bungalows for about 7-10000 Baht p.m., or there are plenty of condos about too. It is definitely no so 'in your face' where the sex is concerned. Or learn to ignore the cries of 'hansum man' like most of us do ;)

Down to the beach is 15 minutes or less depending on traffic. BUT Sukhumvit is perilous at times for traffic and you'd need to cross that.

Maybe 2nd or 3rd road in Pattaya. These would have you nearer to the likes of BigC on Pattaya Klang or the BigC on 2nd road. Plenty of condos in that area. Much closer to the beach too and with the Baht busues it can be cheap regards getting about.

What about Jomtien? Has a beach - cleaner than Pattaya beach. Quieter. Some good bars, restaurants and plenty of condos. Also 15 minutes or so from Pattaya itself. Or go by Baht buses if you hate or dislike m/c taxis. Better parking especially on the seafront.

Sattahip. Getting a lot further out as is Bangsaray and the night life is no real comparison to Jomtien / Pattaya.

safe place Check yes

I think I will be doing more research in this place

and I will visit, thank you for this input,

is 39 still young? haha cheers!

I like living near a beach. In my own country i lived 20 meters from the beach and i feel i miss something if i don't see the sea or smell the sea air. But, i have kids and they need to go to school. So Bangkok it is.

I do however frequently go east or south to get my vitamin 'sea'.

Tried Samui for a year and a half. Started hating the place because so many things are just wrong. I am not drunk everyday, actually never so i probably noticed it more. It is too commercial and it attracts the wrong kind of people. But if you like that sort of area, who knows.

Went south along the coast, from Cha-am to Khanom. Khanom is nice, Ban Krut is nice but quiet, Prachuap Khirikhan is nice. Hua-Hin is ok as it has western conveniences and a so so beach.

To the east. Well.... Pattaya is a dump, Rayong is dirty on the west side, ok on the east side. Koh Chang ok but again quiet.

Chanthaburi (Leam Singh to Chao Lao), nice it gets my vote, and i am even considering moving there because it has all the things you mentioned. Chanthaburi city is big enough and has for me all what i need.

One thing though, it is more Thai oriented then foreigner. That could suit you fine but it can also be a deal breaker.

I am in Thailand already a longer time so Thai oriented is not a problem.

Only one way to find out i guess. Just do it!