Report From Pattaya Memorial...

bobobo

Hallo all members,

Yesterday I finally pulled myself together and went to PM for a consultation of my hernia on my left side. I went there just for an opinion from the doctor. I arrived 16.00.Waited 35 minutes. I met a very nice doctor. I asked him for how long time I had to wait for an op because I have been reading about waiting times for weeks.. He asked when do You want the op? I made a bad joke and said: yesterday. Not possible he said but we can do it tonight!! I was stunned..went back to my condo and got my passport and credit card, cancelled a dinner appointment and went back to PM. They made a lot of tests heart,lungs, diabetes, blod etc 22.00 they started the op. It took about an hour. They made a spinal cord anesthetic. Not so pleasant but I'm a coward...

Woke up in private room, with constant attention from the staff. 15.00 today I was back in my condo. The pain bearable, have painkillers to take. Everything included the bill was 66.000 baht. I'm happy it's over and done with..

Sounds like you picked the right day to go in. Probably Dr Jasada did the op and unless he's changed his times he's only there on a Wednesday. 66k.....prices have gone up quite a bit, mine was 38k although that was 4 years ago though I think I was in for 2 nights rather than just the one.

I am really not trolling but personally think 67k is quite a lot for what you had done and how long you were in for. I am happy to be corrected.

Edited to add:

All that really matters is you are happy with the service and are recovering well.

Edited by RabC

I agree with You Rabc it's rather expensive..have had the problems for a while, it hurt and made me feel miserable. When he said we'll do tonight it was mentally like a now or never situation. If You shop around You can have it cheaper I'm sure. In Queen Sirikit hospital Sattahip it's a lot cheaper, but You have to about 3 weeks.

I am really not trolling but personally think 67k is quite a lot for what you had done and how long you were in for. I am happy to be corrected.

Edited to add:

All that really matters is you are happy with the service and are recovering well.

I had one done about 7 years ago at BKK Rayong and was 80k, for would say its a fair price

Edited to add:

I had one done about 7 years ago at BKK Rayong and was 80k, for would say its a fair price

Nothing with Bangkok in the title when it comes to hospitals is a fair price!

Edited to add:

Seems to me we are getting a lot of comments from the NHS brigade....just over US$ 2k for what is considered "major" surgury is not expensive....seems to he got a good deal...lots of tests, spinal, theater, and surgeon and a private room...

Edited by Soutpeel

Edited to add:

Fair price is relative old chap.....going read about the OP who had a similar procedure, on the health and medical done on the "cheap" and see where he ended up, infection etc etc and his comment private hospital all the way...

I was referring to his costing being fair....for my procedure it could have been THB 200k....makes no difference to me, I have company paid medical insurance....wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Edited to add:

I was referring to his costing being fair....for my procedure it could have been THB 200k....makes no difference to me, I have company paid medical insurance....wink.png

That's what makes it so expensive for those without insurance. The hospitals know they can get away with murder when an insurance company is paying so we have the never ending cycle of increasing hospital fees followed by an increase in insurance premiums.

• Like 1

[That's what makes it so expensive for those without insurance. The hospitals know they can get away with murder when an insurance company is paying so we havethe never ending cycle of increasing hospital fees followed by an increase in insurance premiums.

He is my response to that....unless you have recourse to free public health services ie NHS or similar by virtue of being a national or PR of that country, very irresponsible for someone to go and live in country that doesnt provide free medical services without making provision for personal medical treatment ie medical insurance....so please dont start not be blaming the insurance companies over the costs, if some one couldnt be bother to look at this aspect when they first came to Thailand, its their problem, nobody elses...

[That's what makes it so expensive for those without insurance. The hospitals know they can get away with murder when an insurance company is paying so we havethe never ending cycle of increasing hospital fees followed by an increase in insurance premiums.

He is my response to that....unless you have recourse to free public health services ie NHS or similar by virtue of being a national or PR of that country, very irresponsible for someone to go and live in country that doesnt provide free medical services without making provision for personal medical treatment ie medical insurance....so please dont start not be blaming the insurance companies over the costs, if some one couldnt be bother to look at this aspect when they first came to Thailand, its their problem, nobody elses...

I have medical insurance but have seen the premiums increase about three fold in the last few years.

I have medical insurance but have seen the premiums increase about three fold in the last few years.

and the cost of a lot of other things have increased 3 fold in the last few years in Thailand as well, Thailand is not the "cheap" country is was 11 years ago when first came here

I dont doubt what you say, however the only things I can think of to cause a price increase would be, your age or if paying in a currency other than baht.

I also have insurance and it certainly hasnt increased threefold in baht terms in the last few years.

Can only suggest you look for another provider.

Edited to add:

Seems to me we are getting a lot of comments from the NHS brigade....just over US$ 2k for what is considered "major" surgury is not expensive....seems to he got a good deal...lots of tests, spinal, theater, and surgeon and a private room...

So you have decided on what I based my comments, thanks for thinking for me............in future try just thinking for yourself.

I had an emergency Cat scan for a kidney stone done by the Emergency Room. All they did was take some cat scans, sedate me a bit and put me on some IV and luckily the thing cleared on its own while I was laying there in the ER bed. They gouged me $3,000 USD here in the USA. Would cost half that if pre-arranged. So I think 66 K or about $2,000 USD is not bad for actual diagnostics and surgery and some Post op work for that hernia.

I dislike this hospital like no other for its sheer incompetence and greed. Been there twice, once with a herniated disc like the OP, and left when they told me they don't have an MRI. Second time with a pneumonia, I tried to explain to the idiot staff it's pneumonia, but they checked for cardiac arrest. When they finally agreed on pneumonia, and prescribed antibiotics at four times the price asked for in the local pharmacies, I left again. Won't return to the place.

I had an emergency Cat scan for a kidney stone done by the Emergency Room. All they did was take some cat scans, sedate me a bit and put me on some IV and luckily the thing cleared on its own while I was laying there in the ER bed. They gouged me $3,000 USD here in the USA. Would cost half that if pre-arranged. So I think 66 K or about $2,000 USD is not bad for actual diagnostics and surgery and some Post op work for that hernia.

That's amateur stuff. I had a U.S. hospital stay (the only in my life) for observation for some pain symtoms, four nights stay, one medical test (nuclear medicine) lasting one hour, no procedures, diagnosis clear, insurance billed over 50K USD, cost me out of pocket 4K USD.

I dislike this hospital like no other for its sheer incompetence and greed. Been there twice, once with a herniated disc like the OP, and left when they told me they don't have an MRI. Second time with a pneumonia, I tried to explain to the idiot staff it's pneumonia, but they checked for cardiac arrest. When they finally agreed on pneumonia, and prescribed antibiotics at four times the price asked for in the local pharmacies, I left again. Won't return to the place.

That's distressing.

That's amateur stuff. I had a U.S. hospital stay (the only in my life) for observation for some pain symtoms, four nights stay, one medical test (nuclear medicine) lasting one hour, no procedures, diagnosis clear, insurance billed over 50K USD, cost me out of pocket 4K USD.

I don't get it. Was that a good deal?? Are you bragging or complaining??

Sorry to hear that Potosi. This was my third op at PM. First time I have cut off my tendons to four fingers in my right hand and the second time it was the appendix and now hernia. You have had bad experiences and I have had only good ones.Very strange... What hospital did You go to instead with Your hernia?

Sorry to hear that Potosi. This was my third op at PM. First time I have cut off my tendons to four fingers in my right hand and the second time it was the appendix and now hernia. You have had bad experiences and I have had only good ones.Very strange... What hospital did You go to instead with Your hernia?

My experiences historically have also been good at PM but it seems to me that they jacking their prices up at what appears to be an alarming rate now that they are catering more and more to the Russian market.

They seemed to have beefed up their effort to promote the place with their website..place was a bit of a dump 10-12 years ago.

last time i was there for a medical cert... they seemed to be doing pretty good business patching up Russians after crashing scooters

I dont doubt what you say, however the only things I can think of to cause a price increase would be, your age or if paying in a currency other than baht.

I also have insurance and it certainly hasnt increased threefold in baht terms in the last few years.

Can only suggest you look for another provider.

A slight exaggeration on my part as premiums have only increased from 17168 Baht in 2007 to 43574 Baht in 2012 for the same level of cover from the same company within Thailand. Still seems a lot to me though it is a group expats policy and I guess the level of claims within an ageing expat community probably has a bearing.

A slight exaggeration on my part as premiums have only increased from 17168 Baht in 2007 to 43574 Baht in 2012 for the same level of cover from the same company within Thailand. Still seems a lot to me though it is a group expats policy and I guess the level of claims within an ageing expat community probably has a bearing.

Hi, 43574-17168 Bht = 26,406/5 = 5281.20 increase per year. Which on your original policy back in 2007, 5 years ago, is an increase of 30.76% on average. That is expensive, I feel, for an individual dependant on your age, claims history and how much the company loaded it by.

Although, you do say it is a group policy(how many on it?), so on that basis I would say fair price, I do not think a group policy back would be possible for less/around US$1000 , in the 5 years that you have been using this company (Name please) how many times have you claimed, in total?

If the Russians have money to burn why don't they go to PIH and BPH? I liked the idea of a lower end hospital in town for the more low end uninsured expats. Now where?

Insurance Brokers

That's a smug response to the large percentage of people who have preexisting conditions who are basically uninsurable. For example if you have high blood pressure, and most older people do, insurance would typically exclude all cardiovascular diseases. So you'd be buying insurance that doesn't cover what you most likely would need it for. No I am not faulting the business decisions of insurance companies in countries where they don't have to take everyone but the reality is there are many GOOD reasons for being uninsured in Thailand including not being able to buy it!
  • Like 2

I really do believe that with medical costs or insurance it is a case that if you can't afford it you haven't budgeted wisely for living here. I appreciate its harsh but if you can't afford the whole meal don't sit down at the table.