Lawyer Offered Me 1 Year Visa For 25K Thb. Hot Or Not?

I have a problem with someone putting 800,000 baht in your bank account and taking it out as soon as the extension is approved. I don't think that can work because I am required to submit two years of bank book copies of pages plus the actual bank book so immigration can check to see where the money actually came from. More than likely, they are using bogus income statements.

In any case, if you go this route, better you than me. I'll continue to do extensions legally and personally. I have no desire to see the inside of a jail cell or to be deported and black listed. More importantly, if you can't come up with 800,000 in your bank account, you really shouldn't be retired here.

Yes agree, but you have the retired here people that have plenty to live on but not the 800k, there Pensions due in a year or 2 so then will be fine........ The people that are in there late 40's and so cannot use the retirement options, they may have 2 or 3 million sat in a Bank, but NOT 10 million for the Investment Visa..

As for "I am required to submit two years of bank book copies of pages plus the actual bank book so immigration can check to see where the money actually came from".. not heard of that one, HSBC do not issue Bank Books, only ever had to get a letter from them showing my name. my account number and balance and showing this amount has been there for at least 2 months.

Edited by ignis

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem with someone putting 800,000 baht in your bank account and taking it out as soon as the extension is approved. I don't think that can work because I am required to submit two years of bank book copies of pages plus the actual bank book so immigration can check to see where the money actually came from. More than likely, they are using bogus income statements.

In any case, if you go this route, better you than me. I'll continue to do extensions legally and personally. I have no desire to see the inside of a jail cell or to be deported and black listed. More importantly, if you can't come up with 800,000 in your bank account, you really shouldn't be retired here.

They never asked me for this at all, the rule is that it has to be in your bank a few months (2-3 i believe). Its actually stupid to keep it there (i do keep it there) but you don't get any interest on the account. I actually dont like to have to tie up 400k just to stay here. Its a stupid rule. I do agree you need to have sufficient funds but if you have a home or car valued at that amount it should suffice too. Its meant to be a buffer, now you have 400k in the bank and cant touch it.

So as long as the rule is 2-3 months in your bank im sure you can loan it from someone. (they also ask no income statements)

You can use the money. Immigration likes to see you using that money. They also need to see you top it back up to 400,000 or 800,000 the 2 or 3 months before your extension is due. You do get interest, granted, the rate is pretty low but it is low regardless of what kind of account you have. I too don't understand why we need to have several times more in the bank than the average Thai lives on in a year. I also find it interesting that they think two can live cheaper than one. The logical way would be 800,000 for a married guy and 400,000 for a single guy.

Yes agree, but you have the retired here people that have plenty to live on but not the 800k, there Pensions due in a year or 2 so then will be fine........ The people that are in there late 40's and so cannot use the retirement options, they may have 2 or 3 million sat in a Bank, but NOT 10 million for the Investment Visa.

As for "I am required to submit two years of bank book copies of pages plus the actual bank book so immigration can check to see where the money actually came from".. not heard of that one, HSBC do not issue Bank Books, only ever had to get a letter from them showing my name. my account number and balance and showing this amount has been there for at least 2 months.

In a consulate, i got told, 3 Million in a Thai bank account is good enough for a one year multiple entry visa, but 'under 50 years old'.

Here it's 2 million:

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

(2) Foreigner who is an investor.

- If investing not less than 2 million Baht, he or she will be granted a 1 year permit.

- If investing not less than 10 million Baht, he or she will be granted a 2 year permit.

Edited by noob7

They never asked me for this at all, the rule is that it has to be in your bank a few months (2-3 i believe). Its actually stupid to keep it there (i do keep it there) but you don't get any interest on the account. I actually dont like to have to tie up 400k just to stay here. Its a stupid rule. I do agree you need to have sufficient funds but if you have a home or car valued at that amount it should suffice too. Its meant to be a buffer, now you have 400k in the bank and cant touch it.

So as long as the rule is 2-3 months in your bank im sure you can loan it from someone. (they also ask no income statements)

You can use the money. Immigration likes to see you using that money. They also need to see you top it back up to 400,000 or 800,000 the 2 or 3 months before your extension is due. You do get interest, granted, the rate is pretty low but it is low regardless of what kind of account you have. I too don't understand why we need to have several times more in the bank than the average Thai lives on in a year. I also find it interesting that they think two can live cheaper than one. The logical way would be 800,000 for a married guy and 400,000 for a single guy.

They told me when i showed my income that it would be smarter to take the funds that are over 400k on a joint account and get interest. I asked dont you want to see income movements. They told me no its not important (had an other one who wanted it) but the rule is the money should be in the bank. Anyway i qualify and have of secret tricks and so on. But i rather had that they would take the house or the car as a show of funds. It would free up this money for other things. Basically its money that can never be touched because if you do you loose the right to be here.

I have been " offered " a retirement visa for 22k baht. No need for the 800k in the bank. Just need to open a bank account ( I was told which one but have forgotten which one it was in Jomtien as I haven't taken up the offer ) with 500 baht then give the savings account book to the appropriate person, 2 days later ret. visa done, hand over 22k, bye bye 'til next year, job done.

So, you get a legal visa, but become part of a money laundering operation. Sounds like a good plan. whistling.gif

• Like 1

They told me when i showed my income that it would be smarter to take the funds that are over 400k on a joint account and get interest. I asked dont you want to see income movements. They told me no its not important (had an other one who wanted it) but the rule is the money should be in the bank. Anyway i qualify and have of secret tricks and so on. But i rather had that they would take the house or the car as a show of funds. It would free up this money for other things. Basically its money that can never be touched because if you do you loose the right to be here.

The money, if using bank account, is totally free to be used as needed - the only requirement is that it be in the account at the level required for extension for the time that extension requires prior to application each year. So yes it will be required each year but you can use it if you will have funds to top it up again.

• Like 1

Sure if only you could use house, even some people have paid many millions for a condo.......... I know someone that pays 5,000 rent a month, and another that pays 69,000 per months, so where do you draw the line... so in Thailand they make it that everyone is the same and show the same money for extensions....... some can buy a house for under 800k other have paid 20+ million.. where I live out in the stick cost 1/2 what it cost to live in Bangkok, I am sure some up in the north east live a whole lot cheaper still

The requirement for an extension of stay for investment is 10 million baht.

See Thai Police Order 777/2551 clause 2.5 B.

The 3 million baht investment went away in October 2006.

Info in posted link is for investments under the Board of Investment and there is a lot more to it than info given.

I didn't write about 'extension of stay', but about the 'needed money in a Thai Bank account on your name', to get a multiple non im Visa in a consulate in my home country. In case, the applicant is under 50!

My link, indeed, was to 'extensions'. So my fault, anyway

Edited by noob7

It is the same for getting a visa. You will not get a multiple entry non-o visa for having an investment of any amount. It requires getting a B visa and getting an extension of stay.

Stamp in passport says different!giggle.gif

(But we all know, not all visa issuer working by the same rules)