Mabprachan Lake.

glanville63

I was sitting in the Nana Bar, looking onto Mabprachan Lake this evening and I couldn't help but notice that what was once a clear expance of water is now rapidly becoming covered in a top dressing of folliage. It was quite a talking point. One of the regulars in the bar said he'd been there for about two hours and the covering had visibly increased in that time.

What is going on. It's like something out of a science fiction movie. If the powers to be don't take steps to hault this invasion, the whole lake will be covered pretty soon.

You've rushed to reply to my post without taking the time to look at what I'm talking about. It's too tark to see now but if you are in the area of the east side of the lake near the Rendezvous Bar or the Peacock Hotel tomorrow, you'll see what I mean.

I have not been on the wacky bacci I can assure you.

yeah.. i noticed that today but thought it was because the water line is residing ?...i've never seen the lake as high as in last couple weeks...the other big reservoir has actually got higher in last couple of days which is odd considering we have no major rains ??

I had a few drinks in the Rendezvous Bar in the afternoon a few days ago and noticed the floating aquatic plants. Could it be the wind blowing them into a line and giving the appearance they are multiplying? Sitting in the bar close to lake level doesn't give you a good overall view on whats happening and the alcohol doesn't help either!

I can't make head nor tale of any of this.

Nana bar ............ Nana, Soi Sukhumvit, Bangkok; transported to a mucky lake near nowhere; green alien invaders and everyone admits to bar after bar, even providing directions by way of bars, eastern mysticism and 'looking East', which is a bit hard really when so far east in the first place. And all that bar stuff but little acceptance of being too far gone to focus on aything further away than your feet.

Stuff floating on the top. Interesting. Cream floats to the top. But then the proximity to Pattaya [that wonderful city] has me remember that so too does scum.

More likely to be some form of scum then. I expect there to be a charitable whip round, local TV, the usual faces all putting in an appearence before the announcement of xxxx baht was raised for the little orphans of the green. One week later and .......

The green stuff remains. The little orphans are forgotten and the money ..................... what money?

I can't make head nor tale of any of this.

Nana bar ............ Nana, Soi Sukhumvit, Bangkok; transported to a mucky lake near nowhere; green alien invaders and everyone admits to bar after bar, even providing directions by way of bars, eastern mysticism and 'looking East', which is a bit hard really when so far east in the first place. And all that bar stuff but little acceptance of being too far gone to focus on aything further away than your feet.

Stuff floating on the top. Interesting. Cream floats to the top. But then the proximity to Pattaya [that wonderful city] has me remember that so too does scum.

More likely to be some form of scum then. I expect there to be a charitable whip round, local TV, the usual faces all putting in an appearence before the announcement of xxxx baht was raised for the little orphans of the green. One week later and .......

The green stuff remains. The little orphans are forgotten and the money ..................... what money?

Thats quite a rant over a simple question? Are you a conspiracy theory guy? You went from directionally confused, eastern mysticism, scum, orphans, corruption to conclude with a bash at Pattaya. You are too funny - are you on the p_ss tonight?

Edited by gerry53

Yes, this could be the start of the sequel to "They Came from Outer Space" or maybe "The Day of the Triffids", who knows.

I do know however that a lot of work has been going on recently regarding road improvements around the edge of the Mabprachan lake and the contractors have flattened large areas with huge earth moving equipment. The vegitation that covered the banks in these areas has now been pushed into the lake and maybe this has found a new and condusive environment to aid it's growth.

Time will tell. Watch this space.

Since it seems im the only one that understand what you are talking about, I will give my opinion. I have lived by the lake for three years, and this is the first time I have seen this vegetation here. Its the same plants that cover most of the canals and rivers in Thailand. The same plants form big rafts, that can be seen floating down the river in BKK. Its actually pretty good for the fish, providing hiding places, but after a while, it will start rotting, and will deplete the oxygen, and if the rafts are blown along the dam, then will be hard for anyone to fish. Might be a good hiding place for the snakes too!

My guess is that some engineer thought up the idea to bring some vegetation for the lake, but they are not native to Thailand, and grow fast, but they dont grow in a couple hours! I think the wind just pushed them from one place to another, but they have multiplied quite a bit in the last couple months. I ride along the dam every day, and on that side, its already getting bad. Of course, they could have come down the canals that feed into the lake, and now just got a good environment to grow in. These are water plants, they didnt come from the side of the road.

Another possibility is that the same engineer that had the trees planted in the water,had many bright ideas. They didnt seem to have a clue that the water might rise, although while they were planting, they had to dig in the mud, and the water level was much lower.

Yes, we shall see what happens, the road seems bumper that before, in the place where it looks to be finished, but then maybe they will put on a second layer and smooth it out. They could have widened the bridges a bit, at least take off the pedestrian walk, since no one ever walks over the bridge. Will be a nice place for a wreck.

They are "water Hyacinth" and they grow on the surface, and no, they were not there before the water level rose. If they were there before, then I must not have been paying attention, as I stood on the shore, and have photographed many sunsets there.

According to the story I heard, a Thai photographer was visiting Florida, in the 50's or so, and seen the flowers, (yes, they will produce a very nice flower) and decided to bring some back to Thailand, so here they are, EveryWhere! Probably about the time, someone thought to bring some nice pythons to Florida, at least they didnt bring any cobras!

They are "water Hyacinth" and they grow on the surface, and no, they were not there before the water level rose. If they were there before, then I must not have been paying attention, as I stood on the shore, and have photographed many sunsets there.

According to the story I heard, a Thai photographer was visiting Florida, in the 50's or so, and seen the flowers, (yes, they will produce a very nice flower) and decided to bring some back to Thailand, so here they are, EveryWhere! Probably about the time, someone thought to bring some nice pythons to Florida, at least they didnt bring any cobras!

So where have they suddenly sprung up from since the water level has risen this year. I do live by the lake and never noticed them before.

Yeah, I took a ride on the dam today, and it sure looks like they are spreading, but may be due to the wind breaking the rafts up. Guess I will have to take a ride around the lake tomorrow, and check out the canals. There were a few row boats out today too, and guess they had to maneuver a bit to get through the mess. There are only four or five canals into the lake, so shouldnt be hard to see if any are full of vegetation. They have been doing some digging in the canals in the last few months, so that could be it, if the water is flowing freely.

Not a serious problem, by Thai standards, but it is kinda interesting.

Well, went around the lake today, and it dosent look like they have traveled down any of the canals, since they are already clogged up so much. But I will have to take back what I said about how fast they multiply. According to Wiki, they can double in two weeks, so that is pretty fast. I actually think they look quite nice, better than an empty lake, but they will sure have it clogged up in a year.

A friend brought some for our pond because they have pretty flowers! Within about eight weeks two thirds of the pond was covered, we used the swimming pool nets and poles to get every last piece out of there, never again what a nightmare w00t.gif