Stickers On Foreign Food Products

beano2274

Over the years I have noticed the stickers on the foreign food products which is stuck over the English language instructions on how to cook or prepare the product, thus making it impossible for people like myself to cook the food correctly without getting someone to tell me the instructions (I know my Thai should be better).

Now with this introduction of AEC, will we start to see these stickers being left off the products as surely the nationals of the other countries cannot all read and understand Thai, but could possible read and understand English.

And how will this affect the purchasing of these products by Thai companies, knowing that quite a few of their own countrymen and women cannot read the English instructions correctly (not all I know).

• Like 1

I mean just how hard is it to heat up a can of Campbells tomato soup?

You have to heat it ?? Learn something new every day. Next you'll be telling me that I have to add water to it as well. rolleyes.gif

Its a requirement to have the contents/instructions in Thai which is understandable but, as said, why do they have to place them over the English version ??

I know this sounds silly but why can they not use a glue on those labels that doesn't rip the existing packaging label? something between a post it note and contact cement would be appreciated.

Agreed. I have tried to pick off those stupid labels to read the English many times, but it destroys what is printed underneath. bah.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

You have to heat it ?? Learn something new every day. Next you'll be telling me that I have to add water to it as well. rolleyes.gif

Its a requirement to have the contents/instructions in Thai which is understandable but, as said, why do they have to place them over the English version ??

I will take a wild stab at this.... because THIS is Thailand?

I mean what imported, pre-cooked or processed, canned or packaged food product is so hellishly complicated that one needs to read the bloody instructions?

Is this just a guy thing? Most blokes happily buy [insert technological gizmo of choice here] and don't bother to read the manual and manage to work out how it is done. Since when has RTFM applied to a can of baked beans?

Edited by NanLaew

I mean what imported, pre-cooked or processed, canned or packaged food product is so hellishly complicated that one needs to read the bloody instructions?

Is this just a guy thing? Most blokes happily buy [insert technological gizmo of choice here] and don't bother to read the manual and manage to work out how it is done. Since when has RTFM applied to a can of baked beans?

It's a little more than beans for me, I'd like to know the sodium, calories and vitamins.

• Like 2

It's a little more than beans for me, I'd like to know the sodium, calories and vitamins.

Good point... Maybe I am generalising here but I consider it a rule of thumb that pretty much anything pre-cooked and preserved in a can isn't going to be exactly the healthiest of eating options. So maybe only one tablespoon of beans per slice of toast?

I will admit to having been teased by the offending labels being placed partially over a recipe that looks interesting.

• Like 1

I like to read the food value and addetives of a product to see if its healthy or not. Some products have additives while other similar ones have not.

I had it slapped over peanut butter and such its nit just canned stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

POWER!

And as most blokes can't cook it's rather helpful to have the instructions printed on, say, a pack of chilli mix which tell what other ingredients to add and how long to cook it for. Some of us like to eat something other than baked beans occasionally.

• Like 2

Yea.....finally a topic that we all agree on and as one poster said the label could use a softer glue that could be easily peeled off. and so true that the labels are always placed on the most important areas of English, as if they don't want us to know. I've spent a lot of time looking thru the stock of cans to find one that maybe got placed in the wrong place, revealing more English.

Does anyone know any secret tricks to removing the label?? I've tried peeling it off carefully from all angles, but it always pulls the english text off.

• Like 1

Yea.....finally a topic that we all agree on and as one poster said the label could use a softer glue that could be easily peeled off. and so true that the labels are always placed on the most important areas of English, as if they don't want us to know. I've spent a lot of time looking thru the stock of cans to find one that maybe got placed in the wrong place, revealing more English.

Does anyone know any secret tricks to removing the label?? I've tried peeling it off carefully from all angles, but it always pulls the english text off.

In terms of labels on paper, I used to have a heat gun and it worked fine. FYI on glass the remaining glue I use vegetable/olive oil - works like a charm, other than that I am like you - actually comical we all relate, can keep me occupied for an hour biggrin.png

In terms of labels on paper, I used to have a heat gun and it worked fine. FYI on glass the remaining glue I use vegetable/olive oil - works like a charm, other than that I am like you - actually comical we all relate, can keep me occupied for an hour biggrin.png

Hmm. Surprised you got away with it.

When I tried to take the heat gun into Big C, security stopped me.

Only two-prong plugs anyway.

And as most blokes can't cook it's rather helpful to have the instructions printed on, say, a pack of chilli mix which tell what other ingredients to add and how long to cook it for. Some of us like to eat something other than baked beans occasionally.

Chilli.... instructions for chilli???!!! I will wager that you like beans in your chilli as well. Heaven help us! Cooking isn't rocket science.

Chilli.... instructions for chilli???!!! I will wager that you like beans in your chilli as well. Heaven help us! Cooking isn't rocket science.

You have, for years, read the posts on this website.

You actually don't believe many of us don't need step-by-step instructions? With illustrations?

And I think he is referring to Asian "chili," not Texas. whistling.gif

something that involves the addition of say, water or something else.

I bought jello for my kid the other day and could not read how much water to add.

I bought a marinade mix that required the addition of vinegar oil and lemon juice.

not rocket science, but nice to know the poportions.

Not the same perhaps but related.

I absolutely hate those Revenue stickers on bottles of wine or other alcohol!

I drink mainly Chivas whisky which now has a sort of "tear off" strip around the neck of the bottle which must be removed before the top can be unscrewed. Invariably the half-moron employed to affix this sticker has taken great care to put it over the "start" tab for the tear off strip - and the glue used is VERY hard to remove.

Grrr.

Patrick

• Like 1

Chilli was just an example, first thing that came into my head as I cooked a large batch the other day, hence the use of the word "say" enclosed by commas in my post. Clearly you are more fluent in obnoxious than English.

Oh, just look it up on the internet. Sorted.

Amazing how really easy it is to solve the most perplexing problems & complaints here.