Yellow House Book For Foreigners

Can anyone tell me the advantages of having a yellow house book other than for the purpose of it not being necessary to visit immigration to confirm your address here in Thailand, the local Amphur office have advised that I am eligible for one, but I am not sure if I want to take up the offer.......Comments please....Thanks in advance

Saves a bit of money & time not having to go to Immigration every time you need to obtain proof of residency address when applying visa renewal, bank accounts, driving license, phone services etc etc

Edited by simple1

No other advantage other than being an address proof I guess. Let others comment if they are aware of any advantage other than this

If you are looking to apply thai citizenship in future (by skipping the PR), then it's prerequisite to be on a yellow tabien bahn for 3 years if you are married to a thai .

Thanks for the replies so far...........since posting my original post the main guy at the Amphur office (I do not know his correct title but he is the one who signs the documents) has just contacted my wife and told her " to make it easy it will cost 2000thb" tea money again, I would like to know the real cost if anyone knows, but upto now I wont be taking up the option.

My

Saves a bit of money & time not having to go to Immigration every time you need to obtain proof of residency address when applying visa renewal, bank accounts, driving license, phone services etc etc

This depends on the amphur you live in. Some LTD's will not recognize the yellow book.

I have used mine for Insurances, DL, Immigration purpose, credit card applications and a few other things.

Did not know about being on one for 3 years, thought you still had to have a WP before applying for Citizenship based on marriage to a Thai National.

No other advantage other than being an address proof I guess. Let others comment if they are aware of any advantage other than this

If you are looking to apply thai citizenship in future (by skipping the PR), then it's prerequisite to be on a yellow tabien bahn for 3 years if you are married to a thai .

Are you sure? What about being on the blue book?

A farang should not be on a blue book, that is why they have a yellow book for us.

Only when you have PR can you be on a blue book.

In order to apply directly for Thai naitonality, without having PR, you still need to be on a household registration. Without having PR that means the yellow book.

I have used mine for Insurances, DL, Immigration purpose, credit card applications and a few other things.

Did not know about being on one for 3 years, thought you still had to have a WP before applying for Citizenship based on marriage to a Thai National.

Yes offcourse. In addition to being on yellow book, You must need to have work permit for all these 3 years and working and paying taxes on a salary of 40K/month to be able to qualify.

Free health service from Govt hospitals, but with the new books they have

changed the first number, Thais are 3, my daughter who is half Thai half

English is number 5 and I am Number 6,new books have different number,

and you cannot apply to be on the Thai Health Service,I go every month

blood, urine, test, see the Doctor lets me know what my levels are for blood pressure,

sugar, ect ect, gives me a prescription for my tablets,off I go,till next month.

I really appreciate the Thai Govt for providing this service,and just hope they

can keep it going, maybe if they sell some rice!!

regards Worgeordie

A yellow tabien baan does not allow you free health care.

Apperently initially it was the case, as it was an oversight that foreigners now can also be on a household registration book. Persons who initially got the free healthcare card are grandfathered, but new cases do not get free health care. Some amphurs seem to have missed out on that and still issue, but is is not according to the rules.

(See post made by member Samran in the PR thread).

A yellow tabien baan does not allow you free health care.

Apperently initially it was the case, as it was an oversight that foreigners now can also be on a household registration book. Persons who initially got the free healthcare card are grandfathered, but new cases do not get free health care. Some amphurs seem to have missed out on that and still issue, but is is not according to the rules.

(See post made by member Samran in the PR thread).

As I said in my post Not now,they have changed the numbers on the Yellow books,but I have just renewed for another 12 months,

so hopefully for me at least, it will still stand,as at the Govt Hospital (the one I go to) all the staff are very friendly and provide better service

than the private hospital ,regards Worgeordie

can a property have both a yellow and blue book .. ie one fore the farangs and another for the thai.

i mean this in terms of i have built a 2nd house next door to the inlaws on the same plot.. semi attached. currently it has 1 blue book.. can a yellow book be issued as well

Thank's Mario...........I thought it was free but was'nt sure.................I certainly wont be paying the guy 2000 THB so he can take his friends out for a New Years drink.

If his offer to you was issuing the book without the normally necessary paperwork (translation and certification of your passport, being the worst headache), then his offer is a real bargain, which I think, you should take. Will save you a few trips to immigration in the future! thumbsup.gif

I suspect the yellow book holder is talking about actual ownership of a condo so mortgage on that or based on ownership of property?

No. In order to qualify for a mortgage, one must now prove their residence in the country by giving copies of the yellow(or blue) book with your name on it. A work permit used to be ample but not now in all banks, I believe.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

A farang should not be on a blue book, that is why they have a yellow book for us.

Not true. My name is on a blue book. If you are married to a Thai your name can go on the same book as your wife.

Not true. My name is on a blue book. If you are married to a Thai your name can go on the same book as your wife.

It happens, but is not the rule.

You name can be for several reasons on a blue book, as father of a child registered at that address for example or as owner of the house. That is not to say you yourself are registered at that address. You yourself should be registered in a yellow book for the same address.

Residence would not qualify you for a loan/mortgage but only be a requirement for application in that case.

As for blue book marriage does not allow entry AFAIK but know that exceptions are not unknown here - they should issue a yellow book for foreigner in my understanding but have never checked.

Is that a house or a condo blue book? Where are you located? I have a yellow book for myself but the wife and Thai-born son are in the separate blue book for the same house we share in Udon Thani. I understand that this is the norm but mario has just pointed out some other possibilities.

Edited by NanLaew

Is that a house or a condo blue book? Where are you located? I have a yellow book for myself but the wife and Thai-born son are in the separate blue book for the same house we share in Udon Thani. I understand that this is the norm but mario has just pointed out some other possibilities.

The same as you (house - BKK). However, my name does appear in the blue book where it names me as the father of my son. It, however, does not claim I am resident at such address. That is in my yellow book.

It might be because I am the father of children registered at that address,as Lopburi said. I don't actually live there. Yes house is in Khok Samrong.

I suspect you aren't actually registered on the house book - however, as you say, your name is on it as the registered father as part of your childrens entry into the housebook.

Simililarly to my wife. She's a NZer and she's mentioned as the mother of our children in the blue book. Similarly my Australian father is mentioned under my entry.

However my wifes own entry is only in the yellow book.