watutsi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If done, it should be optional.

I am basically against such an idea as it would tend to encourage knee jerk stereotypes before actually considering the content.

Of course for well known posters, active users probably usually know the nationality of the person anyway, sans flags.

I don't totally hate your idea, but on balance, don't like it.

by using the word "arse" we can safely assume you are not from the U S of A so we are part way there already...thumbsup.gif

now a clue for you.....Cheers mate....

No you can't! Americans in general are using more Brit-speak in recent years, it's an actual trend, Americans say spot on and shag now, and even more so long term expats who are often influenced by the Brit-heavy expat scene. Cheers.
  • Like 2

Guess it could be optional, I have seen it used on other forums but does not take to much working out many with a Bitish Union flag are not from UK, but Asia based wanting to post as if UK citezen. So for me would take it all with a pinch of salt what flag was shown.

What do I think? I think the majority are not the least concerned with the precise nuance of a post and prefer to assume the worst and respond accordingly.

I do know what you mean though, about finding it difficult to find the right words to convey your meaning without triggering some unappreciative response. National flags notwithstanding, is might be easier to just assume the moron factor is playing a major role.

• Like 2

In the 70's I used to confuse Americans I worked with when I said 'how ya goin'? (how y'all doin'?), or 'righto mate' (sure, buddy). But they seem to get it these days - the world's getting smaller.

Only a minority of Americans would use y'all (but I've become one of them later in life).
  • Like 1

I am basically against such an idea as it would tend to encourage knee jerk stereotypes before actually considering the content.

Of course for well known posters, active users probably usually know the nationality of the person anyway, sans flags.

You must be Swedish

• Like 1

You must be Swedish

I should be so lucky.

I have some experience with this kind of thing in real life. I used to work at an American branch of a major multinational corp which had a corporate culture custom of having people fly a small flag of their country over their cubes. Most workers were not Americans and flew their flags. None of the minority of Americans did. That was the only weird thing about it. After a few days, you just ignore it.

I don't like anybody to know what nationality I am.... tongue.png

and btw... I don't care what nationality somebody else has... if I deem it to be important for understanding the Q or A of a poster, then I can ask...

A very cunning TV nickname you have

Yep... choose it specially to confuse everybody about my ancestry and age giggle.gif

• Like 1

and btw... I don't care what nationality somebody else has... if I deem it to be important for understanding the Q or A of a poster, then I can ask...

Yep... choose it specially to confuse everybody about my ancestry and age giggle.gif

How's the weather in Tehran? coffee1.gif
  • Like 1

How's the weather in Tehran? coffee1.gif

Not sure, but 67 °F in Bogota and mostly cloudy biggrin.png

• Like 1