Knowing A Posters Nationality

watutsi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's fun to be surprised sometimes! You know, you get to know a poster's style assuming he's a Pommie and then find out he's not. Post flags and all those fun times would be spoiled.

Yep... and just think about the hidden racism voting that would have been introduced into the "TV member of the year" contest....

much easier to accept bribes, if you don't know whether the money is coming from a yank, a brit or an ozzie... whistling.gif

• Like 1

race , culture gender are not imporatant .

i would prefer seeing a fat wallet label ,for the well off, and as such , be treated with due respact.

and a CC label for the piss poor . ouch , you know how to hurt me .

Edited by elliss

Mate means Brit or Aussie, Americans don't say it. Like I was saying if you take a look at the "visas to other countries" section I think you get a good idea. I go there all the time and it's always the same: a few local countries questions, 1 USA question is that, an Aussie topic and 18-20 UK topics OUT OF 24. I think that's a good microcosm of the Thaivisa community and the Thai expat community in general. Of course if we look at posting it seems that Americans make up 25-30% as jingthing and a few others post so much but it's just not the case. UKers are a HUGE majority

i use mate regularly and i am neither australian nor english

Yes I shouldn't have boxed mate into just those 2 countries. It is used by many others but not in the USA this is for sure

But as far as flagging a person's profile, that is totally unnecessary as you can assume UK and confirm by certain words used.

Edited by Nana Cowboy

i use mate regularly and i am neither australian nor english

I too mate regularly and don't think of myself as being any particular nationality... just floating around the universe, vaguely..

Edited by cooked

Well i did ask what you thought,although i did not expect to get so many replies from people struggling with a third language.The main coherent objection seems to be racism, that where you come from will some how determine some sort of hierarchical status determined by your country and the forming of ethnic cliques that will work against the outsiders.How pathetic, even for the lowest common denominator element of TV. I am not saying that would be the case but it is typical of the usual knee jerk reaction of the constant nay sayers on this forum

I feel that had this option been there from the beginning,no one would notice it, it would just be another element that helped you understand who you were communicating with.There are fascinating differences in the way english is spoken in "the english speaking countries" and often the humour and irony is better understood if you know where it is coming from.

There are a bunch of high volume posters who all seem to know each other and where they all come from but that leaves out 90% of TV.

I too mate regularly

The topic is not about your sex life. biggrin.png

If a member wants his nationality known he can put it in his profile. Or change his avatar to his national flag. wink.png Otherwise I consider it an invasion of privacy if it is forced on members.

Cheers

• Like 1

To be honest, we know the Scottish posters, and there's no need for differentiation between the also-rans. It was a quaint suggestion, and worth entertaining, but some amongst us might wish to post under a different flag - perhaps half irish quarter scOttish three eighths italian half English Canadian, or whatever.

Perhaps it is fairer to leave it up to the individual, and they can adopt a thistle or a crescent or whatever for their avatar if they see fit

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I think it's fun to be surprised sometimes! You know, you get to know a poster's style assuming he's a Pommie and then find out he's not. Post flags and all those fun times would be spoiled.

Whats a pommie ? coffee1.gif

Well me two bobs worth, the powers that be here dont want to advertise the strong UK bias, give them a flag, every neville would immediately adopt it, the readily apparent Scot bias is OK though.

A pommie is rhyming slang as far as I know comes from Pom, to and from, to Australia from England. Whereas Seppo is simple, septic tank (place where the blackwater goes), yank

Whats a pommie ? coffee1.gif

Well me two bobs worth, the powers that be here dont want to advertise the strong UK bias, give them a flag, every neville would immediately adopt it, the readily apparent Scot bias is OK though.

A pommie is rhyming slang as far as I know comes from Pom, to and from, to Australia from England. Whereas Seppo is simple, septic tank (place where the blackwater goes), yank

I always thought POM referred to Prisoner of (the) Motherland, meaning Australians which didn't seem right either as it's the Brits that are the Pom's, not the Aussies.

Hmm... not sure what I just wrote. Oh well, never mind.