How Fast Are Honda 125 Scooters?

rene123

The past few days I've been riding a CBR 250 and it zips along quite nicely up to 120 km/hr, and a bit more. I don't really want to travel much faster than that on a motorbike in Thailand, and especially not when you constantly see riders coming at you in your lane. I have a honda scooter in Chiang Mai and it seems to get up to about 90 km/hr, but that's about it. However, more than a few times now I've been sailing along on the CBR 250 at over 100 km/hr and been passed by scooters traveling much faster. I would expect it from the big bikes, but not a scooter. Is there something they do to soup them up? I don't want to do that with my scooter because with those small tires I think it would be unsafe.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Thai boys just wind them up to the max and go from there. I was always taught not to run any vehicle at maximum speed for any length of time. I can always tell by feel when a bike or car has reached its best cruising speed. Anything more than that and the fuel consumption goes WAY down and you start having mechanical problems.

I have a Wave 125 bought it mainly just to go to local venues often two up with the missus. Got the 125 because I thought it might carry our combined weight a bit better and still maintain speed with all the 100s. It does a little over 100 but much more would test it not to mention suspension and brakes. It does however thrash the 100s one on one up to that mark. Of course they hot them up if you go to Bira in Pattaya on a bike day you can see them racing they probably screw anything up to 160 out of them.

A 125 2-stroke will possibly be as quick as the CB'r'250. Some of the scooters are quick, perhaps made into 150cc. The 135i Yamaha Spark is quick, and with the scooters being lighter, they'll catch you with a 65kg guy riding.

Thank you for the replies. As I said before, I don't WANT to go fast. I was just curious about what seemed to be souped up scooters. Anything much over 100 on a scooter could be dangerous. There are too many drivers in vans and cars who drive like they are riding a motorbike. They tailgate you and cut as close as possible when passing. I am constantly checking my mirrors and yet I still get surprised sometimes.

... I was just curious about what seemed to be souped up scooters. ...

Vespa 300 will do close to 140kph.

I am constantly checking my mirrors and yet I still get surprised sometimes.

..and therein lies the secret. On a motorcycle the key is to go a bit faster than the traffic around you. Then you are in control of the situation and no one can creep up behind you.

Edited by VocalNeal

My Nouvo does about 100kph real speed (110 indicated). The Honda Wave 125i seems quite quick though, I had a farang riding one keeping up with me when I was doing (an indicated) 120kph in the car. Pretty sure that bike was standard as it was still unplated (brand new).

Thank you for the replies. As I said before, I don't WANT to go fast. I was just curious about what seemed to be souped up scooters. Anything much over 100 on a scooter could be dangerous. There are too many drivers in vans and cars who drive like they are riding a motorbike. They tailgate you and cut as close as possible when passing. I am constantly checking my mirrors and yet I still get surprised sometimes.

The danger (whether riding a scooter or a big bike) is not in the speed but in how you ride and your awareness of the situation around you and identifying the potential hazards along the way. Yes, a high speed on a scooter can be more dangerous (compared to a big bike) due to the lightness of the vehicle, the smaller tyres etc. But this allows you to pull away from the cars at junctions and traffic lights and this is something that you should always do (cars = danger). Once away from the traffic, constantly scan ahead checking for surface hazards, intersections and other hazards. Constantly check your mirrors as well.

One quick tip that might help - adjust your mirrors such that they don't converge behind you. Push them out a bit more so that you can see behind your shoulders and also more of the next lane. This will take a bit of getting used to but it is extremely important to see what is coming up behind you on the next lane as well.

That's good advice.

The danger (whether riding a scooter or a big bike) is not in the speed but in how you ride and your awareness of the situation around you and identifying the potential hazards along the way. Yes, a high speed on a scooter can be more dangerous (compared to a big bike) due to the lightness of the vehicle, the smaller tyres etc. But this allows you to pull away from the cars at junctions and traffic lights and this is something that you should always do (cars = danger). Once away from the traffic, constantly scan ahead checking for surface hazards, intersections and other hazards. Constantly check your mirrors as well.

One quick tip that might help - adjust your mirrors such that they don't converge behind you. Push them out a bit more so that you can see behind your shoulders and also more of the next lane. This will take a bit of getting used to but it is extremely important to see what is coming up behind you on the next lane as well.

That's good advice.

That's very bad advice, the cars running the red lights will get you.

Best to let someone else go first.

• Like 1

These kids are certainly riding flat out all the time and crucially for a small bike they weigh only 10kg, so the power to weight ratio is the factor here. If you are a fat git like me you need another 100cc's lard factor just to get even.

I am 6 foot 85kg and feel too big for a little "rice bike" my Phantom, whilst slow has a big frame and big wheels, feels a lot better. We have a Honda wave and anything over 80kph feels "mai dee".

Edited by AllanB

That's good advice.

That's very bad advice, the cars running the red lights will get you.

Best to let someone else go first.

Yes, it's bad advice if you are stupid enough to go without first checking for cars or bikes running the red lights. Even seen any of those videos where cars running red lights plough into the 2nd or 3rd row of bikes?

My 7 year old Suzuki Best 125 CAN do about 120kph (indicated). I wouldn't say that it "enjoys" this experience too much. 80-90kph can be sustained for lengthy periods without any problems and the bike doesn't misbehave once the speed is wound down again. I have to admit that since I moved from Bangplad to Chaeng Wattana I do feel a little vulnerable on my 125 and would really like a Suzuki Raider 150 at minimum. If I never went into town I would go for a CB400, but they aren't as much fun when you hit heavy traffic. The Suzuki Raider 150 is a good compromise for mixed motoring.

My Yamaha Mio125GTX does an indicated 105, 110 down hill

A Click 125I i rode last week hit 110 on a flat and that was it's maximum, never going to hit 120kmh on it like mentioned on the previous page.

Even cruising at 80kmh you really will want to upgrade the Suspension, tyres and brakes if you're carrying some extra bulk, like me.... :D

The biggest mistake Thai's will make is to over inflate your front tyres, this is great for reducing friction/drag of the tyres, but if you need to grab the front brake, you may as well have marble tyres fitted.

A Click 125I i rode last week hit 110 on a flat and that was it's maximum, never going to hit 120kmh on it like mentioned on the previous page.

The 2012 Click is a new bike, new engine, new drive, new frame, new starter/alternator, new plastic panels, it only shares the name with older models.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The 2012 Click is a new bike, new engine, new drive, new frame, new starter/alternator, new plastic panels, it only shares the name with older models.

Fully aware of that....... And it still only does 110kmh, which is plenty for that bike.

The Nuovo SX also has a 'new engine, new drive, new frame, new starter/alternator, new plastic panels, it only shares the name with older models.' and that shares the same top speed of it's bigger engined and older brother.

My Nouvo does about 100kph real speed (110 indicated). The Honda Wave 125i seems quite quick though, I had a farang riding one keeping up with me when I was doing (an indicated) 120kph in the car. Pretty sure that bike was standard as it was still unplated (brand new).

Yeah we bought a new Wave 125i 6 months or so ago & they do go well.

They actually go about as fast as I would want to go on something like that smile.png

With my wife on the back it cruises at 80-90 easily.

I have never rung its neck but when going to pick her up from work on the highway

I have noted it goes 100-110 & does not seem done. But on that kind of bike

I am not too interested in going any faster smile.png

I will say when new they say one or two tanks of 95 & then 91 is fine.

I have always just used 95 as the price is close. But I am always surprised

at how well that little engine sings in the high end. Almost feels slightly

lean if you know what I mean. Because it seems to be burning so clean & crisp

even in the upper ranges.

But even on the low end it is not blubbery at all & you can lug that thing

in 2nd or 3rd no problem at low speed & just roll the throttle on.

kind of amazing little bike for sure. Great grocery getter with all the under

seat storage too.

To the OP: yes as someone mentioned there are still a lot of 2 strokes around & they can fly but

you would know by the sound when they whizz by.

They also hop up a lot of the 4 stroke scooters. Some of the ones with the narrow wheel mods look

pretty iffy though smile.png But I imagine they spin up quickly