Quality ........... Anathema?

prk888

Can anyone tell me hand-on-heart that they have bought Thai made products that are real quality?

Just bought 60 ceramic kitchen door knobs (my recent knobs & knockers question) and I reckon 75%did not thread correctly and therefore did not sit flat on the doors. TIT and sooooooooo frustrating.

I have been buying Honda motor cycles for the past 14 years, made in Thailand, never a problem, I have bought many Panasonic electrical fittings made in Thailand and never a problem, overall well satisfied with most things I buy made in Thailand. Now made in China, well that is a different story.

• Like 1

Some weeks ago i bought a thing looking like an extension lead with a box and a potencial meter which was a thai product online, The guy sent it ems it did,nt work, i put a mark on the inside to check if the whole thing would be replaced and sent it back, he sent a new one which also did,nt work...not even the light came on,

I gave up and went out and bought a jap version for less which was half the size ( compact ) Thinking back after looking inside the thai product i would,nt have trusted it.

I will go out on a limb here and venture to propose that 90% of the products you think are made in Thailand are actually chinese made.

If i saw product labelled "Made in Thailand" in the store i would put a 100% more trust in it than the chinese counterpart.

Problem is the chinese stuff is never labelled because the manufacturer knows it's total crap.

My Thai made Honda CRV and Toyota SUV have been just as reliable as any car I owned "back home." The name brand Thai made clothes I buy in the department stores is very fell made and lasts me for years...some stuff going on a decade. (Some of the Thai clothes I buy in the outdoor markets also lasts far longer than it should for the $ 2-3 I pay for them.) Also, stuff I have had tailor made is also of very hi quality. My Thai assembled air conditioning units have also been generally problem free. My Thai made knives and tableware and mugs and glasses I'm very happy with. My Thai made house, for the price, is of good quality too)

My custom made built-in wood furniture has been problem free...also, the furniture I buy at Index (not sure if Thai manufactured) I've been very happy with.

So yes, I generally have no complaints about the quality of things made in Thailand. Like in most countries, buy a reputable brand at at fair price and you will get a quality product.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I have been buying Honda motor cycles for the past 14 years, made in Thailand, never a problem, I have bought many Panasonic electrical fittings made in Thailand and never a problem, overall well satisfied with most things I buy made in Thailand. Now made in China, well that is a different story.

You are talking about MAJOR Japanese conglomerates with manufacturing facilities, extremely well managed, here in Thailand.

The OP is talking about smaller Thai concerns.

Everything I have bought in the latter category has been lacking quality. Handles and knobs fall off; switches last a week, plugs less. I've had two fans self-destruct.

The kitchen appliance I purchased had a three-pronged plug. Good, since I had grounded plugs in my house and the appliance used water. First time I used it, I got zapped. Opened it up: two wires, not even a third terminal inside. One can only conclude that either the manufacturer is stupid, or dishonest.

Having said that, many of the food products are just dandy!

I think that electrical goods like light fittings, switches and sockets are generally crap regardless of the brand name. I have had Sylvania circular flourescent lamp fittings where the mounting holes had been forgotten about. I have made a point of trying to buy Panasonic branded sockets as they tend to last better. Avoid locally and Chinese branded power distribution strips; they are bloody fire traps.

Same goes for plumbing quality but at least when you are buying the likes of pvc pipe, taps and other fittings, the price charged is indicative of the quality so you do have a clearer choice. Brother in law is in construction and pointed out the differences in the pvc pipe where it all looks the same but the cheaper stuff will fade and split when exposed to the elements.

Right now, I am typing while seated in a 1200 baht office chair that I bought a little over a year ago. It is in my office and gets used infrequently. The gas lift gave out a couple of weeks back and it slowly collapses to it's lowest setting. I am still the same weight btw! In the other corner is a lighter office chair that I bought for around 800 baht for the kids computer. It collapses when the kids use it!

Edited by NanLaew

Many years ago I was in the states when my Thai GF asked me to bring her back some Victoria Secret gear. I said you can buy the same in Thailand for half the price, she was adamant the stuff from the states was better.

Guess what the lables on the underware said.... Made in Thailand.

Many years ago I was in the states when my Thai GF asked me to bring her back some Victoria Secret gear. I said you can buy the same in Thailand for half the price, she was adamant the stuff from the states was better.

She might not be wrong. The goods produced for export, I have found, DO tend to be of higher quality - because the purchasers in the west demand it. Children's clothes spring to mind. The quality of clothes in a typical Wal Mart (all made in China or Thailand) far exceeds the quality of clothing found in Lotus, or your local market. Higher expectations, higher purchasing power, etc.

She might not be wrong. The goods produced for export, I have found, DO tend to be of higher quality - because the purchasers in the west demand it. Children's clothes spring to mind. The quality of clothes in a typical Wal Mart (all made in China or Thailand) far exceeds the quality of clothing found in Lotus, or your local market. Higher expectations, higher purchasing power, etc.

You are likely correct. The irony of the thing was quite funny at the time though. I remember having to go to three differant VS shops to find one which stocked size 2 underwear.

I had some tailoring done. A number of suits. Multiple fittings.

The one suit they had me try, the others being 'the same', was excellent in every aspect. The ones not toothcombed for quality weren't even finished.

Anything 'thai' but from China is crap.

The mai pen rai that ruins thai society allows for substandard goods to be passed off onto customers. If Thais ever stood up to complain, to demand a better service, to express unacceptance or disdain then not only would a plate of som tam improve but also the quality of life.

• Like 2

You are likely correct. The irony of the thing was quite funny at the time though. I remember having to go to three differant VS shops to find one which stocked size 2 underwear.

cheesy.gif

Buy the premium Japanese branded stuff here and it's as good as anywhere in the world. Thais can do good quality work to a consistently high standard... So long as they're cornered like a rat in a trap by a Japanese production manager and have no possible room for doing anything else.

• Like 1

How do you know those ceramic door knobs where made in Thailand? coffee1.gif

The problem will probably be that they were made to fit the house walls made in Thailand, and you have made the effort to make your walls to a higher standard...I suggest you build walls through a Thai builder, he understands how to make a wall so those knobs will fit exactly....lol

My wife asked that for her last birthday she would like a little something that went from 0 - 60 in less than 4 seconds.

Apparently bathroom scales weren't what she meant.

However, once removed from a certain orifice in my body, they have worked great since then.........laugh.png

• Like 2

as ever some interesting observant replies, some amusing and some childish (normal kiddies) and par for this forum. Thanks. BTW - I too have bought several Honda cars here and all excellent quality. And the pie lady (K FON) still provides excellent quality sausages, pies and curries (another warning for this recommendation no doubt!)