Australian Arrested In Thailand Charged With Multi Million Dollar Tax Avoidance Scheme

webfact

It is quite scary how the world is changing with so many countries without extradition treaties arresting and deporting people on demand.

Not that I'm on something illegal here or back home but, given time, these things will be easily applied to political refugees and the like.

According to the following website there is an extradition treaty in place for Australia. Generally, offences which are considered by both the country requesting extradition and Thailand to be:

• A crime punishable by death, or
  • A crime punishable by imprisonment of one year or more

http://www.siam-lega...om-thailand.php

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax avoidance and money laundering is a crime, not only in Australia, also in the USA, in the EU and all other civilized countries. So it's good he has to return to Australia to face court charges.

Tax avoidance is not a crime in Australia, if it was half the population and practically every tax accountant would be guilty. It is frowned upon in some middle eastern cultures but other than that it is a perfectly legitimate means of saving money. I think what you're thinking of is tax evasion - a completely different thing.

White collar crime carries a very short sentence, unlike drugs and other offences. White collar criminals are respected the world over. I think we all see a part of ourselves in someone that can perpetrate a "Ponzi" or other such scam. Don't you wish it was you, come on now, just a little bit maybe.

Yea right ask Bernie Madoff about short sentences.

There is no suggestion that this is a "Ponzi scheme" that is clearly different from tax avoidance.

As Kerry Pacher once said: "Paying tax is a discressionary act" (he paid about 13% I think).

Most western countries have become much more aggressive in going after tax cheats. And like rayw notes above, tax cheats succeed in making life tougher on those who play above board. Many of the tax cheats I have encountered in years past will offer up the "reasoning" that gov't wastes money, and the politicos themselves enrich themselves while in office and are among the most prolific cheaters, blah, blah, blah. Yet, it is WE, the people, who keep on electing these same assclowns election after election.

As many on TV may know, especially my fellow Yanks, the US has really turned up the heat in the last several years trying to get tax recalcitrants to come forward voluntarily, report their offshore accounts + all previously unreported income derived from them, pay back taxes, penalties and interest. There are many Yanks who have been living and working offshore who don't even file tax returns when required to do so. It's not going to get any "looser" with the authorities; they are going to continue to increase their aggressive posture in this regard. If you want to stay "underground", sooner or later you're liable to get "dug up" and exposed to the light of day.

All I can say is I am not one of them, and every bloody nickel I've earned while living and working in Thailand gets reported, taxes paid on it not only in Thailand, but in the US and in the state of California. And all my offshore accounts I have are duly reported.

Do I like having to do all that??? Nope. But if we as "civilized" people want to live in a civilized country, well, that all needs to be paid for. Don't like your politicians in office?. Then vote them out.

As for Thailand, I sometimes wonder about all these higher-end working girls who live in nice condos, own nice cars and dress to the 9's in the latest designer brands...it's a fair guess they aren't paying as much as one measly THB in taxes...

These people are the modern day scum that lead to all financial institutions being untrustworthy and a black hole for the hard working who risk investing.

I hope they jail him for donkey's years and throw the key.

Thieving scum.

Get a grip, the true criminals are the peadophiles, murderers, rapists and drug dealers. Anyway I think you meant throw away the key? I think a fine and maybe some minor small jail time is in order, nothing more.

Most western countries have become much more aggressive in going after tax cheats. And like rayw notes above, tax cheats succeed in making life tougher on those who play above board. Many of the tax cheats I have encountered in years past will offer up the "reasoning" that gov't wastes money, and the politicos themselves enrich themselves while in office and are among the most prolific cheaters, blah, blah, blah. Yet, it is WE, the people, who keep on electing these same assclowns election after election.

As many on TV may know, especially my fellow Yanks, the US has really turned up the heat in the last several years trying to get tax recalcitrants to come forward voluntarily, report their offshore accounts + all previously unreported income derived from them, pay back taxes, penalties and interest. There are many Yanks who have been living and working offshore who don't even file tax returns when required to do so. It's not going to get any "looser" with the authorities; they are going to continue to increase their aggressive posture in this regard. If you want to stay "underground", sooner or later you're liable to get "dug up" and exposed to the light of day.

All I can say is I am not one of them, and every bloody nickel I've earned while living and working in Thailand gets reported, taxes paid on it not only in Thailand, but in the US and in the state of California. And all my offshore accounts I have are duly reported.

Do I like having to do all that??? Nope. But if we as "civilized" people want to live in a civilized country, well, that all needs to be paid for. Don't like your politicians in office?. Then vote them out.

As for Thailand, I sometimes wonder about all these higher-end working girls who live in nice condos, own nice cars and dress to the 9's in the latest designer brands...it's a fair guess they aren't paying as much as one measly THB in taxes...

These 'higher end' working girls you refer to are probably the mia nois and giksgiggle.gif of rich Thai males from politicians to lawyers to military brass etc.

Since these ladies are there mostly for the sexual convenience of said males, that makes them technically 'prostitutes'.

Since prostitution is illegal in Thailand ergo I doubt the revenue department has a category for them.

Sin tax ? Tax sin?whistling.gif

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

Tax avoidance is not a crime we have all done it, a simple example would be paying someone cash in hand to take care of the garden, however it looks as though this guy will be getting " Porridge " for christmas courtesy of the Aussie government !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to read this story as I loathe these anti social greedy bastards. We are so quick to jump on the social security dodgers, poor but albeit lazy buggers who fiddle the tax payer, but hey if you took thousands of these social security fraudsters the loss to the tax payer would be tiny in comparison to what a handful of these wealthy greedy selfish fat cat fraudsters are getting away with.

Tax avoidance is indeed legal, but it is as totally anti social and deplorable to most folk, as many other far less damaging social behaviour problems we all jump on hard, like say leaving rubbish around, spitting, playing loud music in a residential area all night long etc for which those supporters of aggressive tax avoidance would be amongst the first to rightfully complain and demand police action. As I think our right wing PM in the UK said, (or was it the chancellor Osbourne) that aggressive tax avoidance was truly loathsome and socially deplorable and that changes in the tax laws are needed to close these intolerable tax loopholes. It is these very damaging tax avoidance schemes for the wealthy fat cats that rob the ordinary and poorer people (at least 90% of the population) by thus making them pay far more tax than should be needed and by taking away and reducing the benefits that genuine poor folk (many exploited with very low pay) really need.

Aggressive tax avoidance is indeed to 90% of folk totally unacceptable it seems based on most investigative reporting. Tax evasion is totally criminal and should be heavily punished as it usually is when they catch the bastards. Aggressive tax avoiders who cannot be prosecuted should none-the-less be very much named and shamed, so we can all treat them with the disdain and abhorrence they deserve, by say not buying their products or services any more for example. So just as we would treat other anti social behavioural folk too. So this is good news indeed to all of us normal straight ordinary working folk (and retirees of course too who have worked all their lives rolleyes.gif ) Oh and yes for sure I say the same even if I was wealthy and never ever moaned when I paid the 40% Super Tax rate in the UK at my not huge salary that took me a little way into that super tax bracket, as it was of course right and fair that I paid more than low paid hard working folk .

So yes it makes me very angry when I hear of these greedy spoilt brat tax dodgers, legal or illegal. Certainly I can and will say that the distribution of income tax liability in the UK ,if followed to the letter and the intentions of the tax laws is very fair and correct, though I believe there should still be a much higher income tax rate band too for those taking ridiculously high salaries way above what ANYBODY is worth.

That is my two pence worth so whether you personally agree or not, it is genuinely said with social fairness and common sense in mind and for no personal hidden agendas.

You are entitled to your view, with which I totally disagree.

Those UK politicians claiming some "moral" reason why rich people and companies should pay more tax, presumably voluntarily, are exhibiting gross hypocrisy. Many of their colleagues have recently been embroiled in the scandal of claiming expenses on a fraudulent scale. Cameron is desperate to latch onto any cause which might make him more popular with many of the electorate, thus his totally misplaced plea for people and companies to pay more tax than the law demands of them.

If the tax laws are such that bright accountants can avoid tax then do not blame the tax avoiders blame the government for not making the laws tighter so that avoidance is not possible. I would ask anyone on this forum; 'if you were earning say $2million a year and could pay your legal tax dues at say 3% would you voluntarily offer up another 47%'? If you say "yes" you are a philanthropist and your donation has nothing to do with taxes and the law.

My view for what it is worth is that we should all pay those taxes which the law demands. If the law demands too little then it should be changed.

Kerry Packer on paying tax : " There's nothing wrong with minimising tax. Anyone in this country who doesn't minimise their tax wants their heads read, because as a govt I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be donating extra". That Wickenby witchhunt gave Paul Hogan hell for years.

It would be one thing if the tax monies all the Countries collected was put to use, but that taint so is it.

They put a tax on a tax when you are late and have ruined many a good man, this guy looks like a rat though and gives my Aussie friends a bad name!

I'm an Aussie taxpayer. The tax laws in Australia are ridiculously complex and the volumes would fill my house twice over. There is a whole industry dedicated to tax minimisation. The complexity of the system only encourages 'experts' to seek loopholes. As an average Aussie, who works and resides in Australia for less than six months a year My tax free threshold is reduced. If I try to live fulltime os on my investments, my income recieves no tax free threshold and is flat rated at 33% no matter how much I earn. I failed to put a return in for 3 years as i was living here, with no taxable income, and was fined $550 for each year, when speaking to the ATO in ignorance of the requirement to make a return when no income is earned, they informed me it is my responsibility to keep informed of the rules.

Australian arrested over tax charges

The Nation

30196329-01_big.jpg

HUA HIN: -- An Australian man wanted by authorities in Canberra for tax avoidance and money laundering was arrested yesterday in Hua Hin by the Crime Suppression Police.

Gregory John Dunn, 53, told police he was unaware of being wanted by the Australian authorities, who say he set up a stock-exchange firm with partners in Australia and then fled to avoid paying A$20 million in taxes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-18

Great work by the Crime Suppression Police, but I only see one is this pic where are the other 300 who are normally standing behind thier catch.

Just kidding I know it was an Australian Investigation and not Thai.

Silly guy, he should have moved to the USA. With that much money, he could easily afford an Asian-American prosti...trophy wife, and he would be celebrated for not paying taxes. America's most well-known tax cheat not only does not get punished, but he managed to get 49% of the vote for president this year.

So funny it is to read all the people who claim that skipping out of taxes should not be a crime, I am sure you are also the first ones to complain when the infrastructure in places like Thailand are not anywhere near as strong as they are in your home countries, as if that has nothing to do with the amount of gov't revenue (which comes from taxes). Gotta love the greed, everyone wants to take all they can, but never bother to think about giving back to the system which enabled them to prosper, when they are successful.

It is quite scary how the world is changing with so many countries without extradition treaties arresting and deporting people on demand.

Not that I'm on something illegal here or back home but, given time, these things will be easily applied to political refugees and the like.

According to the following website there is an extradition treaty in place for Australia. Generally, offences which are considered by both the country requesting extradition and Thailand to be:

In Australia if you are charged with indictable offences you are charged and prosecuted by the CROWN. The Crown (England) has extradition agreements with Thailand and Australia generally use this avenue and will continue to do so until we become a Republic, if that ever happens.

Tax avoidance is not a crime.

Within which country are you referring ?

I would venture the whole world. But at least in common law countries:

"No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Lord Clyde, Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services and Ritchie v. IRC (1929) 14 TC 754

"Over and over again courts have said there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands; taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant..."

United States Judge Learned Hand in Commissioner vs. Newman. 159 F.2d 848 (1947)"

As others have mentioned, tax avoidance is the practice of arranging one's affairs so that the amount of tax owed is minimized. Evasion is the refusal to pay the balance of taxation owed after it has been minimized. The former is not a crime. The latter is a crime.

Edited by goatfarmer

In Australia if you are charged with indictable offences you are charged and prosecuted by the CROWN. The Crown (England) has extradition agreements with Thailand and Australia generally use this avenue and will continue to do so until we become a Republic, if that ever happens.

For (England) read (UK).

For (England) read (UK).

Yes your right. I used England because most people of non Commonwealth Nations see her as the Queen of England and not the Queen of the United Kingdon and the 15 Commonwealth Realms. I was just keeping it simple.

All he has to is the same as Alan Bond . claim some kind of mental problem and say he cant remember anything and just get a few easy years at minimum security . an absolute joke that bondy got away with it when you saw him smile through his bs .

But Bond does not hold the record. Some years ago Ernest Saunders who was chairman of Guiness was convicted in the UK of insider dealing of shares. Found guilty and sent to prison he then got early realease as he had developed Alzheimer's disease.

After release he became the only person in history to overcome Alzheimer's and went on to carve out a nice career on business lecture tours. Presumably speaking on "How to beat the system". Dunn ought to read his notes quick !

You know the old advertising slogan for Guinness?....... "Guinness is good for you"

White collar crime carries a very short sentence, unlike drugs and other offences. White collar criminals are respected the world over. I think we all see a part of ourselves in someone that can perpetrate a "Ponzi" or other such scam. Don't you wish it was you, come on now, just a little bit maybe.

Maybe you should tell Bernie Madoff that white collar crimes only carry a short sentence.