How Hard Can Looking For A House To Buy In Chiang Mai Be?

TommoPhysicist

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing wrong with the location for a local pub for people who live 2 minutes from there and dont want a full on night out just a few beers and watch the footie or sports

Good news, not that It will mean anything to me as it is not my area, but i have always thought that there should be some more local pubs closer to residential areas.

Lets hope more appear in other areas, (especially with the drink driving crack downs)

• Like 2

Ban Wangtan, Mae Hia/Hang Dong area, has homes f/s from ~1.5m which tend to be older style (10 y/o) on small blocks (65 wah), but the developer has recently finished a few new homes priced just over 2m.

There are many other homes f/s, nice modern homes on small blocks AND/OR older homes in need of TLC on larger blocks, for ~ 2.5m asking price - probably worth around 1.8m to 2.0m.

Asking prices are just that... an ask! Don't pay over the odds as re-sale is a very slow process.

Incidentally, Ban Wangtan is often put-down by a minority on this forum, yet it's 600+ homes are ~ 75% farang-owned or occupied as rentals. Apart from one or 2 soi's with noisy dogs, it is a very peaceful, well-maintained mooban.

Waiver: I have no financial interest in BWT, rent at present but looking to buy , dislike dogs and noise.

The houses you've mention for 2-2.5 M,how many Br/Bath on average and how many sg m,do you know?

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! this guy always 'plugs' BWT - from one who lived there and owned there and lucky to sell (to Thais):

dogs - loads and loads

location - kilometers from anywhere

restaurant so old - downbeat tables and no bar

no security - just go on through!

lighting very poor - cannot see anything from 12 onwards (but can hear those dogs as they chase you!!!)

fitness center shut (locked and bolted)

Swimming pool charges (not included in maintenance charge as are all condos)

etc. etc. etc.

Thank Buddha you LEFT the baan!

But why so negative... did you pay too much for a house here? Did you always enter BWT via one of the 2 service/emergency gates?Perhaps you are one of those ppl who wish to live in a sterile concrete jungle instead of a green leafy and quiet environment.

We do not own property here, yet. All owners and rental occupiers love the estate. It is predominantly farangs, many Germans, UK, NZ and Aussies. Thai families are generally middle-class hard-working and friendly neighbours.

For what it's worth:-

>Dogs, no more here than any other mooban - I walk the estate daily and have no issues even though I am not a dog lover!

>3.3 km from Airport, 1km to BigC/Makro/HomePro .... smile.png Can walk to shops in 15 mins!

>Restaurant is clean and it has a bar ... food is basic, inexpensive, ambiance superb! Staff attentive and friendly, and theres live music on special occasions.

>Security is similar to many other estates, they monitor registrations, deliveries and are there when trouble occurs. Regular day and night patrols by m/b and bicycle.

>Street lighting is excellent all the way in from main road ... blown lamps replaced and fluro markers/mirrors on intersections upgraded regularly.

>No idea re Gym as I don't use it but I see others in there - tennis court is run down.

>Monthly levy is ~ 500 Bt, much lower than most other estates/condo's so user-pays for pool attendant 30 Bt.... big deal smile.png

Why so bitter about BWT and why post incorrect rubbish about a well-managed (if older, well established) estate?

Firstly - saying 'thank Buddha (disrespectful to the Buddha) that YOU left the moobaan' - I commented on the moobaan and was supported by other posters - attack my argument but not the poster please.

I disagree with your observations completely but no bitterness at all - it's my truthful opinion given to BALANCE your continual 'over-sell'

If you are happy 'renting' there good luck - put your money where your mouth is and BUY. I could go through your list but why bother I only commented because you continually 'over-sell' BWT in many threads to justify your choice - as you will have noticed other posters agree about BWT but if you like it who cares?

I know BWT very well and there are some very nice people living there that's true but the facilities and location are very poor in my view - years ago it was probably very nice with one of the top restaurants in town but everyone can see how terribly run-down and under-invested it is - which is a shame.

Edited by binjalin

I paid 23,500 USD in BWT in 2006. The dog owners (or the people feeding them, but denying owning them) were my biggest complaint. Then the fee was 250 THB. I wouldn't touch it again with a barge pole. Local scene around there now gets about a 2, on a scale of 1-10. With the extra money you will spend on a car, or heaven forbid taxis, you could buy a condo in a much more convenient location. Couldn't get out of Riverside fast enough in 2004, and haven't been back on the premises since. If it wouldn't rent for 1% of purchase price per month, don't go near it. I didn't mind paying for the pool, and the jet noise wasn't too bad.

\

The local scene is better since the Dog and Bone opened and is a pretty busy place just up the road from BWT good food good company and a nice place to hang out very close to BWT and great since you dont have to go into town to have a beer

Whats the Dog and Bone then?

Google knows: https://www.facebook...ndbonechiangmai

At that location though you have to seriously dislike driving, to not invest the 10 minutes into town.

its the old 'Happy Pizza' now moved to a nw location and called 'Yummy Pizza'. It's hardly a pub but it's at the entrance to ban wang tan and very small etc. It's really more for those who live in BWT (which has no bar as such) so it could be useful for those who live there and like to meet up.

I paid 23,500 USD in BWT in 2006. The dog owners (or the people feeding them, but denying owning them) were my biggest complaint. Then the fee was 250 THB. I wouldn't touch it again with a barge pole. Local scene around there now gets about a 2, on a scale of 1-10. With the extra money you will spend on a car, or heaven forbid taxis, you could buy a condo in a much more convenient location. Couldn't get out of Riverside fast enough in 2004, and haven't been back on the premises since. If it wouldn't rent for 1% of purchase price per month, don't go near it. I didn't mind paying for the pool, and the jet noise wasn't too bad.

exactly - some of the sois are 'no go zones' as far as the dogs are concerned

Two bad choices already, hope you are happy where you are now?

• Like 1

I never bought or leased in Riverdump. I was taken there by RE agents. My bad choice netted me 5000 USD and a free place to stay for 2 years. Since then, I bought a condo in Las Vegas, a Townhouse in Phoenix, and a house iun Phoenix for 75,900 (total), and I've sold two of them for 101,000. Good luck doing that in LOS.