Importing Semen Straws

Dr. Burrito

It is possible but after researching everything involved I came to the conclusion that unless you are importing in large numbers on a regular basis you would be better off dealing with a genetics company in Thailand.

During transportation you need to maintain a temp of -70/80C therefore you need a special flask which costs £500 for the smallest.

In the UK the straws are cheap enough @ £10 - £12 but the transport costs and import proceedures make the whole issue a nightmare.

But after saying all that, it could be a very lucrative long term venture. I think 6 years before a decent return.

If its any interest to you, I know kasetsart agri university do this type of work, they have their own breed of cattle at the uni campus that produce decent quality beef, I think they have over 2000 rai for their cattle, we visited the uni last month and they were selling the semen vials for I think around 100 baht a pop

Thanks for the ideas. Not sure yet it will matter anyway, but since I'm looking at a position that would bring me back to Thailand for a long stay, thinking of some other revenue streams, so we would be farming and ranching in addition to my regular work. We're raising a really high standard of Angus and Angus-Brangus mix back here and the meat of both is simply superior in terms of customer perception at least and wanting to bring some of our DNA over there if we can, thus the question about bringing it in.

@Jonny what kind of cattle are they breeding at Kasetsasrt if you are aware. I'm certainly not opposed if the standards are there. When I left, Thai-French was the best outfit in Thailand, or so it seemed anyway and I have to admit, it wasn't bad, but I can top that easily with what we have, though I know there is the added challenge of keeping those animals healthy in Thailand of course, given the conditions, but since there are so many milk outfits there, and dam_n, those things die if the wind blows bad, I'm thinking we can keep a few dark skinned animals healthy, but i could be proven wrong of course.

@Gimley, thanks for the reality check. Will certainly bear those thoughts in mind.

Regards,

Dr. B

Hi dr, I think the breed is 25% Thai, 25% Brahman and 50% Charolais, although if you google "KU beef Kasetsart" you may find more info, we toured the Uni Farm earlier this month when they had a 10 day agri fair on campus, seemed a really good set up.

The University people were extremely helpful and happy to give any advice, we've been doing some stuff on our land and found them to be an excellent source both for information and for sourcing stuff, I must add this can also be said of everyone on this farming forum

Department of Livestock Development has Angus stock and Angus semen if you want to inseminate local Thai cattle. They also have angus x brahman cross cattle in Thailand. At my university we have lowline angus x small native Thai cattle cross. The hypothesis is to improve the beef content of small Thai cattle without increasing their size. Smaller size animals produce more beef per hectare or per rai than larger animals under village management systems in Thailand. A waste of time bringing in your semen because semen is already available here in Thailand.

Well said Michael, The only other thing is unless your in Chiang Mai - Rai, Why would you want Angus. It is far to hot for them..

Charolais cross brahman or Droughtmaster is far better with a proven record for our climate and conditions.

Black and Red Angus, low line Angus, Droughtmaster, and Charolais semen are all here in Thailand...

But without at least 25% Brahman blood your waisting your time