Complications In Thailand?.......

theblether

I have two friends who are making the big retirement move to Thailand over the next couple of months, they both have a fair bit of experience of visiting Thailand, one having lived there for a few months a couple of years ago.

Like most switched on people they are aware of the visa requirements, how to qualify for them etc etc, so that's not the issue here. The issue is, what unexpected complications did you come across when you moved to Thailand? was it with housing? health insurance? what had you holding your head in your hands in frustration?

If you had your time again, what would you do different?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't ask advice from sales people, they have no clue what they are selling, better do your homework before buying anything, further down the road chances are high what you bought is rubbish anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I agree its real hard ,o get quality stuff even if you are willing to pay for it. Especially when doing some home improvement or letting peiple do it for you.

re

what had you holding your head in your hands in frustration

the worst mistake i made was not using any of my credit cards for three

years and when i went to use one ... they said no no

when i called mbna to ask them to unlock it they said your account

has been canceld through lack of use so i lost a 15 thousand quid

credit card limit and that really pizzed me off : (

re.

Only if they see you as a gullible farang to be fleeced

gullible or stupid ?

i bought this secondhand galaxy 7.7 tablet on the top floor of ksk for

10500 baht on tuesday and was offered the same tablet which is about a year old at

most for between 11000 to 12500 baht from four shops within 100 yards

of the shop i bought it from ... so it pays to shop around !

dave2 ... playing with my new toy which works perfectly : )

pic .. doi suthep xmas day 12

post-42592-0-34124800-1356490771_thumb.j

post-42592-0-19146500-1356490807_thumb.j

Holiday visits and actually "living" in Thailand are vastly different. Thailand laws make it difficult for any foreigner to own anything of any value in Thailand. Many others before me have all said the same thing... never buy what you can rent. And, don't try to plant roots too deeply because you might have to move quicklyfor any one of a thousand reasons.

A touch of paranoia? A foreigner can buy anything if they are serious about it, and not a tourist or retiree with minimal

pension.

Could buy a car, condo etc. The only thing that is difficult is to buy land. But this can be done easily if you are married or are single with a bit of cash.

To the OP - if your pals are moving for good - learn the language and stay away from the tourist resorts.

I wish I had lowered my expectations when I came to live here.

Nevertheless it has been one heck of a ride and looking back I don't think I would change much.

There have been setbacks but with a bit of resolve and common sense these were easily overcome.

I think it would be presumptuous of me to give advice since different people have different aspirations, the only thing I think worth mentioning is don't burn your bridges and make sure you have a good health insurance plan and for the rest : go for it !

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

I think where your friends are planning to retire to makes a difference. If they haven't thought this through properly, advise them to rent before buying.

As has been mentioned, coming here on holiday is a lot different than actually living here, and what they may have thought when they were on holiday could change dramatically if they commit before understanding all about the locale...................wink.png

For one reason or another (dependant on what you are retiring to) after every passing relationship, your world will get a little bit smaller. If you're clever and want to avoid confrontation.

I'm not saying the last comment is relevant (as you haven't given much information as to their intentions; they may be a married couple!), but it is something to be aware of..........thumbsup.gif

I think it is quite common for expats to get expat overload around 18 months to 2 years into a period overseas.

I'd therefore recommend anyone going to live overseas to plan a trip back home in that time slot between 18 month and 2 years.

A chance to recharge batteries and stock up on loads of goodies.

• Like 1