Govt Warns Scammers As Thailand Is Named Top Destination

webfact

TOURISM

Govt warns scammers as Thailand is named top destination

Nantida Puangthong,

Supakorn Ajjana,

Suwannee Bandhitsak

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has long been ranked as one of the world's best tourist destinations, with so many awards under its belt. However, the Kingdom's tourism industry is not untainted.

Now that Thailand has finally made it to the Huffington Post's list of top 20 destinations for New Year celebrations, the government is calling on all Thais to look after tourists in their neighbourhoods.

This plea comes as Thailand's reputation continues getting dealt on blow after another from reports about scams and crimes against foreigners.

Just recently, the Sydney Morning Herald published an article warning Australian tourists to be wary of extortion gangs in Phuket, some of who are allegedly in cahoots with local police.

Australian Ambassador to Thailand James Wise and his British counterpart, Mark Kent, have joined the Tourism Ministry's campaign to tackle tourist scams in the resort-island of Phuket. The key scams involve taxi and jet-ski operators in both Phuket and Pattaya, the article said.

In addition to all this, two Russian nationals were robbed and raped in Chon Buri late on Christmas Day.

The women in their early 30s told police that they were forced into a pick-up truck at gunpoint while they were walking back to their hotel. They claimed they were attacked by three men, who did not just rob them of their cash, cellphones and jewellery, but also assaulted them sexually.

The women, who were left to fend for themselves in a forested area, came upon a house and begged for help. The owners of the house contacted the police for them.

"We will hunt down the attackers," Pattaya police inspector Pol Lt-Colonel Patsa Dejparkkul promised.

Thailand needs to take serious steps in stopping crimes against tourists, otherwise its appeal as a great destination might fade.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday that the issue of travellers' safety had been raised and discussed in the latest Cabinet meeting. He said that while the authorities will do their best in strictly enforcing the law, ordinary citizens should also lend a hand.

"Please take care of foreigners. If anything happens to them, please step in to help," Surapong said.

He added that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had also instructed all relevant authorities to ensure the safety of tourists especially during the holidays.

"Don't hurt Thailand's tourism industry," he said, adding that criminals targeting foreigners ruin the country's image.

Tourists can call the 1672, (02) 134 4077 or (02) 356 0650 hotline for assistance any time of the day or night, he said.

Meanwhile, Surat Thani Governor Chatpong Chatphut promised yesterday to introduce measures that would protect tourists from scammers in the jet-ski, car and boat rental services.

He said this after a tourist complained that a jet-ski operator on Chawaeng beach attacked him after he refused to pay the exorbitant fees demanded. Four suspects have been arrested in the case.

"If all operators are required to buy insurance policies, this problem should reduce," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-27

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can be confident that this Warning has absolutely NO TEETH IN IT.

I am suprised the U.S. Embassy hasn't joined in with the Aussie and UK Embassies with this type of warning as well..

Pehaps they aleady have...but usually the THAIVISA is pretty good about these messages from the Embassies. coffee1.gif

However, unless they remove the crooked police that are in cahoots from the picture, nothing with happen.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Pot , kettle, black

Presumably this current maladministration is a the top of the warning list, the multitude of scams being operated by this current maladministration is incredible

You want to point out what that multitude of scams are, with any kind of proof of them?

• Like 2

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had also instructed all relevant authorities to ensure the safety of tourists especially during the holidays.

I guess after the holidays it is open season on tourists.

what can we expect from a government that is remodeling their building in the hope of getting luck.

• Like 2

Smutcakes post # 12

You want to point out what that multitude of scams are, with any kind of proof of them

If you can't even see or even understand what is happening around you surely you are blind and deaf,Rice pledging scheme scam for a start tampering with the constitution to whitewash a convicted bail jumping criminal nepotism etc etc, the list is endless

Edited by siampolee

Pot , kettle, black

Presumably this current maladministration is a the top of the warning list, the multitude of scams being operated by this current maladministration is incredible

You want to point out what that multitude of scams are, with any kind of proof of them?

You must be new to Thailand, try googling, there are websites that have been around for several years detailing the scams, particularly those around Erawan shrine, Grand palace and our favourite Jet-ski destinations.

Now in Hua Hin. What a wonderful change from Patong because;

- No touts

- Reasonable taxii/limousine & tuktuk access

- No price gouging

- No filth (both human and garbage)

- No Bib standing on the corner looking for Tea money

I was in Udon Thani last week. same thing. Wonderful experience. When we have gone out to the shopping plazas, I am a minority and I think it works in my favour. The lack of farangs circulating seems to have reduced the numbers of scum that associate with the farang presence. No sexy massage offers, no touts, no cops trying to entrap me into buying drugs, no visible hookers, no foreign yobs. There are thousands of foreign tourists in Hua Hin right now. Very well behaved.

Maybe the scams and thieving and ripoffs are a reflection from the quality of tourists that Phuket and Pattaya attract. How is it that Udon Thani, a place for lower income older foreigners has a much classier feel to it than the Kamala-Kata strip of Phuket? The same Germans and Scandanavians are in Hua Hin as in Phuket, but the difference is that these people are not skewed to the sex tourist and drink till you puke segment as in the areas with all the problems. Interesting enough that the Indians here are few but are visibly higher end, and I have not seen any middle easterners, or the English yobs of Phuket yet. My takeaway is that if I want a relaxing place with a minimum of hassles, is to pick a location where the quality of foreigners is better. I call this the Garbage- Vermin rule of life of Thailand.

Udon Thani does cater for the lower income expat community & has of plenty of bars with BG's where they congregate & drink like fish and enjoy the services offered. Fair enough if you want to live their or the surrounding areas, but as a holiday destination, no way

Now in Hua Hin. What a wonderful change from Patong because;

- No touts

- Reasonable taxii/limousine & tuktuk access

- No price gouging

- No filth (both human and garbage)

- No Bib standing on the corner looking for Tea money

I was in Udon Thani last week. same thing. Wonderful experience. When we have gone out to the shopping plazas, I am a minority and I think it works in my favour. The lack of farangs circulating seems to have reduced the numbers of scum that associate with the farang presence. No sexy massage offers, no touts, no cops trying to entrap me into buying drugs, no visible hookers, no foreign yobs. There are thousands of foreign tourists in Hua Hin right now. Very well behaved.

Maybe the scams and thieving and ripoffs are a reflection from the quality of tourists that Phuket and Pattaya attract. How is it that Udon Thani, a place for lower income older foreigners has a much classier feel to it than the Kamala-Kata strip of Phuket? The same Germans and Scandanavians are in Hua Hin as in Phuket, but the difference is that these people are not skewed to the sex tourist and drink till you puke segment as in the areas with all the problems. Interesting enough that the Indians here are few but are visibly higher end, and I have not seen any middle easterners, or the English yobs of Phuket yet. My takeaway is that if I want a relaxing place with a minimum of hassles, is to pick a location where the quality of foreigners is better. I call this the Garbage- Vermin rule of life of Thailand.

I agree with a lot of points you make but blaming the tourists for being scamed is misplaced, give it time and the scams will spread to all areas unless positive action is taken to stamp it out

Funny enough I'd say it's not the beer louts and scumbags that are being scamed

Pot , kettle, black

You must be new to Thailand, try googling, there are websites that have been around for several years detailing the scams, particularly those around Erawan shrine, Grand palace and our favourite Jet-ski destinations.

Perhaps if you read what he's referring to, you'll retract your post. Try again.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Surat Thani Governor Chatpong Chatphut promised yesterday to introduce measures that would protect tourists from scammers in the jet-ski, car and boat rental services.

He said this after a tourist complained that a jet-ski operator on Chawaeng beach attacked him after he refused to pay the exorbitant fees demanded. Four suspects have been arrested in the case.

"If all operators are required to buy insurance policies, this problem should reduce," he said.

No, it won't. The scammers can't scam an insurance company.

• Like 2