Thailand's Cola Conflict: Est Vs. Pepsi

webfact

For those wondering why the name "EST", it was explained at launch in five points, the first was

Firstly, "est" is a cool yet easy to remember brand. It's a suffix that expresses a superlative - such as great-est, new-est or cool-est. Brand communications will be based on the concept of "est it your way", representing the DNA of Thai teens and inspiring them to do everything to their full-est efforts.

The rest are here http://www.nationmul...T-30193722.html

How is it pronounced?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wondering why the name "EST", it was explained at launch in five points, the first was

Firstly, "est" is a cool yet easy to remember brand. It's a suffix that expresses a superlative - such as great-est, new-est or cool-est. Brand communications will be based on the concept of "est it your way", representing the DNA of Thai teens and inspiring them to do everything to their full-est efforts.

How is it pronounced?

How about lamEST, crappiEST, saddEST, worstEST... A suffix is quite weak for a label, perhaps if English is your second language it might have some appeal.

I think that if you are going to go after someone like Pepsi, this is the best kind of shot anyone will get. Pepsi can't get in the door, and you got your product on their shelves. Stickin it to the man thumbsup.gif .

It will be interesting to watch Pepsi's next move.

I drink mainly water, so I really don't have a horse in this race.

In my years in Thailand this is the 4th time I've seen this done. Pizza Company (Pizza Hut), Chang (Carlsberg). True (Orange) and now Est. It is clear Thai business partners will copy any foreign brands product and then boot out the foreign partner.

You say that like it's a bad thing. That is capitalism, after all. If it's as bad as some in this thread are saying, then the market will decide.

est taste like low end cola beverage. very sweet, less carbonated and similarly to big cola, it doesnt have the cola flavor.

Strange how people can taste the same thing and have totally opposite reactions. I guess there is no accounting for... something.

Having said all that, this thread reminded me that I have a small bottle (free 250 ml sample given to me when I bought a dozen donuts from Dunkin' Donuts). So I've just finished the bottle and found it palatable. No, it wasn't Pepsi, nor was it Coke. In much the same way that Dunkin' Donuts are not Krispy Kremes, but they are still perfectly serviceable donuts.

Est seemed a bit more carbonated than either Coke or Pepsi, and about as sweet as either. I detected NO root beer flavor whatsoever, and I am a root beer lover. I most certainly did not have any adverse reaction to it, a la buffalo juice or however it was described in an earlier post. It was most definitely an acceptable cola beverage.

So at this point I will most likely buy whatever is available and cheapest.

Oh, and the ad models are cute.

Ah I see "to the full-EST" sounds rather similar to "to the MAX". It seems originality is not a strong point in Serm Suk's marketing dept, (though imitation and duplicitous dealings in business partnerships may well be.)

• Like 1

How is it pronounced?

For a Thai speaker, one would think with great difficulty.

Et? Ait? Hait?

• Like 1

You say that like it's a bad thing. That is capitalism, after all. If it's as bad as some in this thread are saying, then the market will decide

So Attarayant you like capitalism with no rules, the way it was supposed to be! biggrin.png And What fun, hey I know lets eliminate the the competition by killing them ... oh do we want some rules now?

Back to your Ann Rand books lead head

Edited by LomSak27

Went shopping yesterday. got as always my 2 big packs of 12 each pack 1.45 lt Pepsi Max. noticed they now have small bottles on the sheaves as well as these small one in Big packs, 1st time I have seen them back again........... Never buy but noticed there were no cans this week, also no Coke a Cola in cans, of course maybe sold out

Est is dumb as a label, but with the right marketing ( 'st ) might have been sort of clever.

One good thing is that it might be that a large number of Thais will learn how to pronounce an st ending sound.

I hope you are right but my experience with the words

boat (mystified look)

one (another mystified look)

seven (misunderstood as eleven),

all of which are used in Thai,

would lead me to believe that they won't.

(The reason is Thai phonemes and Thai spelling interfering in English acquisition and communication)

So Attarayant you like capitalism with no rules, the way it was supposed to be! biggrin.png And What fun, hey I know lets eliminate the the competition by killing them ... oh do we want some rules now?

I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. Where did I say "with no rules"? Capitalism without rules is anarchy.

Est is dumb as a label, but with the right marketing ( 'st ) might have been sort of clever.

One good thing is that it might be that a large number of Thais will learn how to pronounce an st ending sound.

The folks at est cola determined that เอสท์ โคล่า (pronounced "et kho-la") was not the way to transcribe these non-Thai terms. Instead, they opted for เอส โคล่า (also pronounced "et kho-la"). Either way, it's an unfortunate choice of terms for Thai-speakers. The final "s" sound, or a final "st" sound, are not readily pronounced by most Thai-speakers.

• Like 1

The folks at est cola determined that เอสท์ โคล่า (pronounced "et kho-la") was not the way to transcribe these non-Thai terms. Instead, they opted for เอส โคล่า (also pronounced "et kho-la"). Either way, it's an unfortunate choice of terms for Thai-speakers. The final "s" sound, or a final "st" sound, are not readily pronounced by most Thai-speakers.

As a brand it conveys nothing in Thai or English.

CoolESt, great EST, conveys zilch in English

I have to ask why they named it Est,is it aimed at the German expat community.

Is their slogan Est is die best.

Isn't it supposed to be pronounced ES--T

To sound similar to Pep--si.

sent from my Q6

Reportedly it is derived from the suffix est as in bEST, biggEST.

es T as in Pepsi, would actually work a hell of a lot better.

Biggest shame in all this is that Pepsi is now bottling in PET rather than re-usable, refundable, scavenger-attractive glass...

??

All my bottles are refundable... for the past few months [well it is 1 full year this month at this price] clear plastic you get 19 baht for a kg...... 15 baht kg for coloured plastic.

This is the reason large corporations and advertising agencies arrange focus groups and do a ton of research before releasing a brand. So that the big ideas of the owners can be finessed into something marketable, instead of a very average and forgettable fail.

Biggest shame in all this is that Pepsi is now bottling in PET rather than re-usable, refundable, scavenger-attractive glass...

??

All my bottles are refundable... for the past few months [well it is 1 full year this month at this price] clear plastic you get 19 baht for a kg...... 15 baht kg for coloured plastic.

It takes a lot of energy to recycle a plastic bottle, and the base stock needs to be constantly added to with new material... glass, they just wash and sterilise and refill...

Scavengers still look for plastic bottles, but not with the same fervor as glass bottles...

This is the reason large corporations and advertising agencies arrange focus groups and do a ton of research before releasing a brand. So that the big ideas of the owners can be finessed into something marketable, instead of a very average and forgettable fail.

Yes, it does have a back of a fag pack feel to it. Too late now.

Well EST definitely stands for Extra Sh*tty Taste, it is bloody awful and I cannot see pepsi standing by while they use their colours etc to market it. Those selling it are saying it is pepsi in a new package, what a load but then what do you expect from anyone that thinks bribes are good.

• Like 2

Well EST definitely stands for Extra Sh*tty Taste, it is bloody awful and I cannot see pepsi standing by while they use their colours etc to market it. Those selling it are saying it is pepsi in a new package, what a load but then what do you expect from anyone that thinks bribes are good.

What's in this new product? Anything we should be concerned about?

If we line up Est Cola with Pepsi Cola and Coca Cola . . .

Est has more sugar, more sodium, more carbohydrates, and more calories than its two competitors.

The Est label states "contains caffeine" - but does not tell us how much caffeine.

Are there no regulations, no labeling requirements enforced by the Thai government?

This is another shameful example of business ethics here, Est is produced by the company that previously had a contract/partnership with PepsiCo, for manufacture and distribution. Obviously that came to an end, and seeing how Est suddenly and aggressively substituted itself everywhere for Pepsi you can guess what went on, they had planned this, developed their own cola secretly and put everything in place for a quick gain after telling Pepsi to hit the road jack. I read somewhere a quote from a 30 year offspring of the family who own it, boasting they aim to become the No 2 cola in Thailand within a year using a 15 million marketing budget. Well, they are now, though Coke sales have soared. But I find Est a cheap imitation and refuse to buy it on principle. Six months from now I'm sure Pepsi will re-enter the market with an even bigger budget and xxxx them up. Biggest loser will be Big Cola.

When it comes down to Coke or Pepsi, I prefer Pespi, but I'll drink Coke on occasion. But when it comes down to "Extra Suckola Tasting" cola, "Big Cola", or Coke -- Coke wins hands down -- and Pepsi? Gone! A few PepsiCo execs will be losing bonuses this year. And EST...that is some nasty tasting stuff. I spit it out and tossed the can. I'll drink Big Cola in the village if nothing else is around, but EST -- I wouldn't drink it again if they were giving it away for free.

I've just bought two liters of EST at Big C because it was darn cheap - 18 baht per liter, even though the label on the bottle itself says 20 baht! Coke and Pepsi are usually between 25-30 baht per liter.

I still say it tastes just fine.

What's in this new product? Anything we should be concerned about?

If we line up Est Cola with Pepsi Cola and Coca Cola . . .

Est has more sugar, more sodium, more carbohydrates, and more calories than its two competitors.

The Est label states "contains caffeine" - but does not tell us how much caffeine.

Are there no regulations, no labeling requirements enforced by the Thai government?

Well they obviously that stupid, the sweeter product normally wins

I've just bought two liters of EST at Big C because it was darn cheap - 18 baht per liter, even though the label on the bottle itself says 20 baht! Coke and Pepsi are usually between 25-30 baht per liter.

I still say it tastes just fine.

Coke and Pepsi are usually between 25-30 baht per liter.?????????

Never seen that in Big C or Big C Extra.

Shopping at Extra last week........... Pepsi is 1.45 bottle @ 24 baht, Coke was 1.25 bottle @ 25 baht, and est was only 1 lt on offer @ 18 baht..

for the amount you get Pepsi is cheaper..

At 7/11 yesterday all 3 brands in the small bottles were 15 baht, as normal est on promotion @ 13 baht.. so in a small bottle ext is cheaper

est I would not drink it again even @ 5 baht a bottle

Edited by ignis

??

It takes a lot of energy to recycle a plastic bottle, and the base stock needs to be constantly added to with new material... glass, they just wash and sterilise and refill...

Scavengers still look for plastic bottles, but not with the same fervor as glass bottles...

What about (recyclable) aluminum cans vs. glass bottles?