The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

OMG ... there are SCADS of new restaurants in town that would be perfect for mention on the old Hit and Run.

How about participating? I can't eat everywhere.

Remember mentions here don't need to be recommendations. It's about sharing information even about places people may want to know about but not necessarily ever eat at.

Anyway ... here's a new one to start this off again.

SUKIYA Tokyo Beef Bowl Chain

at the new Central Marina Mall

Apparently YUGE (sorry) in Japan, they have Thailand locations too and now we have one in Pattaya.

My first time.

It's a chain. It's fast. It's tasty. It's a different concept. It's not expensive.

What's not to like? Not much ...

It's certainly not gourmet level food but you wouldn't expect that right?

One cool thing they do is offer three sizes on some dishes! Very convenient if you want to try multiple dishes. Also they have sets of coruse.

So far I have tried on multiple visits --

Their famous Gyudon (beef rice bowl)

Got the large size but there was much less beef than I would have expected for the large size but still tasty of course. Chose the option with scallions and a special Japanese style poached egg that looked magical in the menu pictures but a complete mess on my plate. I went just after they opened. I trust they will eventually learn how to cook those fancy eggs!

Miso soup w/ veg and mushrooms. Good.

Curry rice w/ fried chicken. Good.

Shoyu ramen w Chashu (pork). 99 baht. One size.

This was a surprise as it was better than expected. The noodles were quite good and al dente and the serving of Chashu was quite generous. 

I happen to hate the mass market cheap Ramen chains here done for Thai tastes. This was significantly better. 

BTW, I had wanted to try the rich pork bones broth (Tonkotsu) but they were out when I ordered. 

No, nothing like a high end Japanese ramen specialty shop ... but for this kind of place ... quite happy with it. 

The green tea comes cold without sugar, is 35 baht, strong and good, but I didn't see refills offered. 

https://www.facebook.com/SukiyaThailand

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Sue's Place on Soi 13/4 between Beach and 2nd Rd is a small bar and restaurant that serves good Mexican food (texmex) and makes a decent margarita. It's my new go to place when I'm in need of a Mexican food fix. Although the service is good be prepared to wait a bit if they are busy as there is only one cook, well worth the wait if needed.

I had the super nachos and enchilada dish along with a frozen margarita, excellent!

e19ec42eb82369ad21744cd39fc9bed5.jpg

d5be40ad5d8b15ab5524f379e94c359c.jpg

47576894912a0fd295b7337d5cc0a72b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

Sue's Place on Soi 13/4 between Beach and 2nd Rd is a small bar and restaurant that serves good Mexican food (texmex) and makes a decent margarita. It's my new go to place when I'm in need of a Mexican food fix. Although the service is good be prepared to wait a bit if they are busy as there is only one cook, well worth the wait if needed.

I had the super nachos and enchilada dish along with a frozen margarita, excellent!

Great news. That's the old "Blue Parrot", first opened and run by an American Veteran who either sold it to or gave it to a drunken biker who ran it into the ground. Glad to know it's back open and the dishes look the same! Not that complicated if you just try. Their sauce used to be excellent, which makes Mexican IMHO. Maybe Sue is related to the Veteran. Hope he's in good health. The drunken biker, well who knows and who cares? Ruined a good venue. Thanks and God Bless You Roger Lee.

• Like 1

Great news. That's the old "Blue Parrot", first opened and run by an American Veteran who either sold it to or gave it to a drunken biker who ran it into the ground. Glad to know it's back open and the dishes look the same! Not that complicated if you just try. Their sauce used to be excellent, which makes Mexican IMHO. Maybe Sue is related to the Veteran. Hope he's in good health. The drunken biker, well who knows and who cares? Ruined a good venue. Thanks and God Bless You Roger Lee.

Yes, the hot sauce was good and came in two temperatures, medium and hot. I liked both but was especially intrigued by the hot one, excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

One of the strangest business decisions I have ever seen has made it a full circle. I noticed "Mister Polanta" has gone out of business. Or has it moved? A terrible location, why anyone would open a farang restaurant there remains mind boggling.(across from Friendship Market, up a little towards 3rd road) The investor spent some money advertising, saw one two page ad in a local tabloid! The food reminded me of what people would enjoy when starving. No taste yet you felt good eating it. Sort think <deleted> but not <deleted>. Anyhow, those who had it on the to do list, too late. Gone. 

• Like 1

Tried Sues Place, Soi 13-4. I was mistaken, it is the shop house next to the old location of Blue Parrot. That/this used to be a beer bar. The beef was awful, but the sauce is good. Friendly people. I'll try chicken next time I guess. The Palmers has also moved across the street. A lot of shop houses are for sale on that Soi. Seemed like half or more have signs indicating for sale. New Orleans is also closed. They said for years? I really need to get out more. 

Tried Sues Place, Soi 13-4. I was mistaken, it is the shop house next to the old location of Blue Parrot. That/this used to be a beer bar. The beef was awful, but the sauce is good. Friendly people. I'll try chicken next time I guess. The Palmers has also moved across the street. A lot of shop houses are for sale on that Soi. Seemed like half or more have signs indicating for sale. New Orleans is also closed. They said for years? I really need to get out more. 

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. According to Trip Advisor in their review portion it's mentioned that it was the old Blue Parrot. My experience here obviously doesn't extend as far as yours so I'm unqualified to comment. BTW the beef I was served in my enchiladas and nachos was superb.

1 minute ago, Roger Lee said:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. According to Trip Advisor in their review portion it's mentioned that it was the old Blue Parrot. My experience here obviously doesn't extend as far as yours so I'm unqualified to comment. BTW the beef I was served in my enchiladas was superb.

Hello. The beef was some sort of ground beef. I had both the nachos and a burrito. I honestly thought the beef may have come out of a can, perhaps available wholesale or even at Villa market. I'm a little spoiled because at Mikes Mexican they use pressure cooked rib eye steak. Any beef entree is a portion of this as well as on the beef nachos. In addition, at Mikes they give you some sour creme on the side and sprinkle the nachos with jalapenos.  They also charge I think it's 225 Baht vs. a more reasonable 150 Baht a Sue's. I got curious about the location as I had always disliked the overbearing lights at the tailor shop. Then I saw a tattoo shop where the Blue Parrot used to be. No big deal on the location. I'll go again, Mike's is out of the way but I'll also go there and even try this "Dans" if he ever opens? Taco Bell...wish I could buy a franchise and open it here..Do you think a Taco Bell would work? Would Thai people buy food at Taco Bell? McDonalds survives. Burger King as well, but I don't know how BK does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been eating Mexican Food at Sue's Place in the same location as Blue Parrot.  Same tables, same tablecloths and same food.  IIRC, when Blue Parrot was Blue Parrot, Sue's was next door.  Is Sue's Place now *both* places?

5 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

One of the strangest business decisions I have ever seen has made it a full circle. I noticed "Mister Polanta" has gone out of business. Or has it moved? A terrible location, why anyone would open a farang restaurant there remains mind boggling.(across from Friendship Market, up a little towards 3rd road) The investor spent some money advertising, saw one two page ad in a local tabloid! The food reminded me of what people would enjoy when starving. No taste yet you felt good eating it. Sort think <deleted> but not <deleted>. Anyhow, those who had it on the to do list, too late. Gone. 

Someone thinking that Thai will waiting for him and his polenta that nobody cares about !!!

Not surprised if he closes just like all the other ridiculous ones.

Hello. The beef was some sort of ground beef. I had both the nachos and a burrito. I honestly thought the beef may have come out of a can, perhaps available wholesale or even at Villa market. I'm a little spoiled because at Mikes Mexican they use pressure cooked rib eye steak. Any beef entree is a portion of this as well as on the beef nachos. In addition, at Mikes they give you some sour creme on the side and sprinkle the nachos with jalapenos.  They also charge I think it's 225 Baht vs. a more reasonable 150 Baht a Sue's. I got curious about the location as I had always disliked the overbearing lights at the tailor shop. Then I saw a tattoo shop where the Blue Parrot used to be. No big deal on the location. I'll go again, Mike's is out of the way but I'll also go there and even try this "Dans" if he ever opens? Taco Bell...wish I could buy a franchise and open it here..Do you think a Taco Bell would work? Would Thai people buy food at Taco Bell? McDonalds survives. Burger King as well, but I don't know how BK does. 

Ok, I guess I grew up enjoying my Mom's tacos and Taco Bell, etc. which all were made with ground beef and very texmex. Eating Mike's flavor with the shredded beef is different, in fact many times I'll order the chicken instead.

4 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Ok, I guess I grew up enjoying my Mom's tacos and Taco Bell, etc. which all were made with ground beef and very texmex. Eating Mike's flavor with the shredded beef is different, in fact many times I'll order the chicken instead.

Good morning. I was being polite about the ground beef at Sue's. I'd prefer your Mom's or Taco Bell to any I've tried over here including Sues, Mikes, and Sunrise Tacos(here for a short period, and in Bangkok for a long period). No problem with ground beef.  It's a complete shame and unbelievable Mexican food, simple as it is, can't be served in Thailand.

7 hours ago, BsBs said:

Someone thinking that Thai will waiting for him and his polenta that nobody cares about !!!

Not surprised if he closes just like all the other ridiculous ones.

The most ridiculous are the "French" ones. Decorating food is something only the French can appreciate, and only in France. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Burger King here is operated by William Heinecke. Google him and you will understand grasshopper.

9 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I've been eating Mexican Food at Sue's Place in the same location as Blue Parrot.  Same tables, same tablecloths and same food.  IIRC, when Blue Parrot was Blue Parrot, Sue's was next door.  Is Sue's Place now *both* places?

I guess Sue got some of the stuff out of Blue Parrot. The tables in front of it are different. The most important distinction are avoiding the blasting lights of the tailor shop as I mentioned. There is now a tattoo shop where Blue Parrot used to be. Sue's is just one shop house in width, directly next to the now closed and for sale old location of Palmers. Palmers used to cater to a lot of bars doing food promotions and had good food on site. I don't know about now since they moved across the street. New Orleans was higher end and whomever that was, was rumored to have big money to the extend of running Andy and Misty's off the Soi. Lastly, the pimp at Classroom GoGo was spotted out in front of same. Same farang after all these years and what must be 10,000. cheap draft beers poured down his throat. 

4 minutes ago, pegman said:

Burger King here is operated by William Heinecke. Google him and you will understand grasshopper.

Burger King here is just awful. I can make do at McDonalds but BK just misses the mark IMHO. Over priced, but that's not the worse part. The worst part is the food is just as I say, awful. 

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Burger King here is just awful. I can make do at McDonalds but BK just misses the mark IMHO. Over priced, but that's not the worse part. The worst part is the food is just as I say, awful. 

Just wait until you try Wendy's in KL....

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Not everyone hates a very successful farang though.

Who said anything about hate?  Also he is Thai having moved to Thailand at 14 years old.  Very interesting story. His start was buying the Royal Garden Resort in Pattaya now he employs 29,000.-

7 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

The most ridiculous are the "French" ones. Decorating food is something only the French can appreciate, and only in France. 

Yes, farmers do not care if food is nice, they just want to be full and vomit right after.

7 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

A real expert in smart opinions !

37 minutes ago, petermik said:

I pass by Chez Georges on third road often and it appears to have closed......any info anyone?

It has appeared closed since it opened, if it ever did. Shame really as so many searching for good French food whatever that entails. I think they like to call wild boar some sort of gourmet dish? Saw that on the coverage of the Tour de France coverage once. Never forgot it. Beautiful countryside but a lot of confusion about the need and purpose for food. 

12 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Good morning. I was being polite about the ground beef at Sue's. I'd prefer your Mom's or Taco Bell to any I've tried over here including Sues, Mikes, and Sunrise Tacos(here for a short period, and in Bangkok for a long period). No problem with ground beef.  It's a complete shame and unbelievable Mexican food, simple as it is, can't be served in Thailand.

We do not have any decent "Mexican" food in Pattaya-Jomtien.  Taco Bell would be a hit here.  I would rather eat there than the places mentioned on this thread.   IMHO, La Monita in Bangkok makes good Mexican food in Thailand.  It is way above all the others in terms of quality and authenticity.

• Thanks 1