The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 1/21/2017 at 0:44 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Western style place, doing BBQ but also has Thai food.

It is Ewan McGlashan's latest venture.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:06 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

Who is he/she? I'm asking for context please mate. What other ventures has he/she started? Thanks in advance. 

On 1/21/2017 at 4:59 AM, petermik said:

Bite Me Bistro on 3rd road.....he was chef there when they first opened :thumbsup:

On 1/22/2017 at 1:01 AM, TaaSaparot said:

And has been Chef at Blue Olive more recently.

He moves around quite a fair bit :jap:

On 1/20/2017 at 9:24 AM, tolsti said:

They are at the weekends 12-2

I received a message today from Jims Burgers saying that as of 1st February they are open at lunchtime every day and not just Sat + Sun as at present.

• Like 1

Shama Lama Ding Dong

mentioned before

Naklua Road, roughly accross from Pizza Big

American / Portuguese / Thai / Desserts / Coffee

https://www.facebook.com/shamalama.pattaya/

I got around to trying this place. It's cute and cozy and some nice, different food.

I came for the Portuguese but I can see they have VERY good homemade desserts (but I almost never eat desserts, so, oh well). 

It's not exactly cheap. They had a small plate special, buy 2 at 88 baht and get a third free but that's over. 

I had a main dish, the Portuguese classic, pork and clams / Porco à Alentejana (pictured) at 250 baht. 

port.jpg

It was enjoyable for sure but the flavors didn't quite transport me back to Lisboa or even Port-land (bad joke). It needed a starch (not included) so you could order a side of rice or fries, but I went for their house specialty the  Portuguese pork sandwich called a bifana, 88 baht. I don't remember these even on my quite long trip all over Portugal, but this sandwich was WONDERFUL. It's a SNACK SIZED small sandwich (one is not a meal), pork on an incredibly good baked in the restaurant bread roll.

Anyway, the bread of the bifana served as my starch to go with the pork/clams dish. Yes, a very porky meal. 

Worth going out of your way just to try the bifanas!

http://www.golisbon.com/blog/2012/10/03/the-bifana-portugals-tasty-meat-snack/

I asked about BACALAO dishes which is the star of many iconic Portuguese dishes (dried cod) but was told they can't even source it here and that the bacalao used in Norwegian restaurants here is fresh, not dried, so doesn't work with Portuguese recipes. Makes sense, but sad. 

https://www.facebook.com/shamalama.pattaya/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Special ASEAN food court stall, Rompho Market, Jomtien

Variety of Asean foods, good flavor, low cost

Rompho Market is at Jomtien 2nd road and Soi 5.

Worth highlighting because they offer foods not usually found at food courts and they do a good job of it as well!

The workers are also super friendly and helpful. Almost a shock to find that here.

What's on the menu? Quite a surprising variety.

For example,

Singapore Fried Noodles

Nasi Goreng plate (Indonesian)

Sate

Tom yum noodles

Kao Soi (Burmese influenced Northern thai curry noodle soup)

A quite fancy Gaeng Som (tamarind spicy broth) with large chunks of crispy fish

Whole fish w/ five flavors

and much more!

Everything I've had there has been either good or very good. 

You can find it this way. Go to KISS restaurant and then walk on that side towards the market area. It's the stall 2nd from the market area on that side with ASEAN flags. An English sign weirdly says KISS but this is nothing to do with KISS restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, where to eat a Spanish omelet around Pattaya ?

Something so easy, that anybody can cook and that even Thai can enjoy, why not more Spanish omelets available in Thailand ? I will put this on the the lack of brain and creativity of most restaurants owners, but I could be wrong :-)

6 hours ago, amjamj said:

Hello, where to eat a Spanish omelet around Pattaya ?

Something so easy, that anybody can cook and that even Thai can enjoy, why not more Spanish omelets available in Thailand ? I will put this on the the lack of brain and creativity of most restaurants owners, but I could be wrong :-)

By Spanish omelette I'm assuming you mean tortilla Espanola which is neither an omelette in the usually understood sense or a tortilla in the Mexican sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_omelette

I've seen it sold in the deli case at Foodmart Jomtien (not saying it's good or authentic, don't know) and also Natans French restaurant in Jomtien at least used to have it. Not sure about now. When I tried it, it was not authentic in the Spanish style as butter was used instead of olive oil, which didn't work for me. 

I'm also interested in a restaurant version that does it authentically.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

TRENDY! :stoner:

Spaghetti Gelato Now in Jomtien!

Is it Italian? Is it German? Does it matter!

150 baht at PORKY's.

Haven't tried, but now you know. 

Picture not from restaurant.

Maybe PAN PAN has it too? 

spag.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Porkys-Pattaya-216490151850104/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/09/spaghetti-gelato/

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, champers said:

Strangely most European countries except Spain have plenty of visitors here and restaurants too. Where do Spaniards go for their holidays in SE Asia? Phillipines?

I suspect that a number of them will go to spanish speaking caribbean and central American countries but there are such a high number of unemployed in Spain that it causes me no surprise that we see so few of them in Thailand.

• Like 2

There used to be a "Tapas" restaurant in Jomtien Complex with some Spanish choices. Not  that it was exceptional but it did fail. I suppose it's true you need a core base of nationals to support most national cuisine restaurants here. With exceptions of course. There would still be scads of Italian restaurants here even if there were no Italian tourists or residents, but they wouldn't be as good!

A continuing mystery to me is that there isn't even one (in my opinion) "decent" Mexican restaurant in town. I think there are enough Americans to support at least one "decent" one. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

By Spanish omelette I'm assuming you mean tortilla Espanola which is neither an omelette in the usually understood sense or a tortilla in the Mexican sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_omelette

I've seen it sold in the deli case at Foodmart Jomtien (not saying it's good or authentic, don't know) and also Natans French restaurant in Jomtien at least used to have it. Not sure about now. When I tried it, it was not authentic in the Spanish style as butter was used instead of olive oil, which didn't work for me. 

I'm also interested in a restaurant version that does it authentically.

The one at foodmart is the real thing and is so good.

But don't you agree that it could be an interesting dish to sell at many places, for Thai and farang ?

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There used to be a "Tapas" restaurant in Jomtien Complex with some Spanish choices. Not  that it was exceptional but it did fail. I suppose it's true you need a core base of nationals to support most national cuisine restaurants here. With exceptions of course. There would still be scads of Italian restaurants here even if there were no Italian tourists or residents, but they wouldn't be as good!

A continuing mystery to me is that there isn't even one (in my opinion) "decent" Mexican restaurant in town. I think there are enough Americans to support at least one "decent" one. 

Your idea of decent is extreme, so many acceptable Mexican.

Nobody cares that the food is perfect, and actually most people understand nothing, this is why you won't the perfect Mexican in your idea.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Have you tried the Tapas Resturant across from the market on 2nd road and Soi 5. It is in the former Leonardo's.

You mentioned schnitzel. The best in that area I have had is at Berliner Eck  on Jomtien Soi 3. It is as good as I have had in Berlin but much cheaper. The potato salad is a good accompaniment.

• Thanks 1

Just now, pegman said:

Have you tried the Tapas Resturant across from the market on 2nd road and Soi 5. It is in the former Leonardo's.

You mentioned schnitzel. The best in that area I have had is at Berliner Eck  on Jomtien Soi 3. It is as good as I have had in Berlin but much cheaper. The potato salad is a good accompaniment.

That isn't a Spanish Tapas restaurant. It's an Italian restaurant.  Good tip on Eck. Thanks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think there is a huge demand for tortilla Espanola in Pattaya.

Agree to disagree about local Mexican.

Tastes are subjective.

Why, do you think that there is a huge demand for anything ?

And if someone is smart enough to explain to people who know nothing what is a tortilla, then more people will like it and eat it. People just eat what is giver to them. If it's given the smart way, with correct marketing and advertising.

Meanwhile, Dan's Cantina changed the sign hanging on the door from a merely "Closed" to one with hours. Perhaps opening soon. He's expecting huge crowds for some very odd reason. People going to sit in there and drink looking at themselves? Enough seating for a big club. I'll be interesting, hopefully good and reasonable. 

• Like 2