The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

23 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Just a heads up that Hawker Chan at Royal Garden Plaza is closing on the 23rd this Thursday in their move to Terminal 21, so it might be worthwhile to tuck in until they're open again in 2 months time

Thanks.  I'll try to drop by tomorrow for my char siu hor fun.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont think I've actually seen a customer in there since it opened. Every time I walk past (and it tends to be meal times) the place has always been empty. Is there some particular time that is popular?

They have a queue number on the board, in the evening I've seen it went up to 30-40, if that's the number of customers for the whole day from 11 when they open, it's not looking good

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

he street in Naklua close to dolphin where a few German restaurants are located, including my favourite Bazi, seems nearly deserted these days. The patrons used to be on the old side even 10y ago, maybe they're just dying of old age and not replenished.

Yes that is my observations too  . But Heidelberg is still doing okay , at least I see guests there when I walk by.

I had a set dinner there  last Sunday , only 240 baht with dessert, so best value in Naklua. Quality of the food is maybe not the best on offer in the area.But good enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont think I've actually seen a customer in there since it opened. Every time I walk past (and it tends to be meal times) the place has always been empty. Is there some particular time that is popular?
I've eaten there when they've had about 15 customers but it's true it doesn't get full. Unlike your experience when I've gone or walked by it's rarely totally empty. In any case this is academic as they're moving to Terminal 21.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They have a queue number on the board, in the evening I've seen it went up to 30-40, if that's the number of customers for the whole day from 11 when they open, it's not looking good

You have no idea if the numbering resets at 100 or not so you're point is meaningless.

Yes that is my observations too  . But Heidelberg is still doing okay , at least I see guests there when I walk by.
I had a set dinner there  last Sunday , only 240 baht with dessert, so best value in Naklua. Quality of the food is maybe not the best on offer in the area.But good enough. 

I assume the original Bei Gerhard is still open. Of course sadly the original owner died after he opened a new restaurant. That used to my favorite but the last time I visited it wasn't as good as before.

I've eaten at Hawker Chan over 30 times usually between noon and 4 pm.  There's usually 4-6 customers.  There have been times I have been the only customer.  On the rare occasion there is over a dozen customers.  It has been busier lately.  Something about that location.  Even its predecessor, Red Kimchi, was very dead and it was a passable AYCE Korean BBQ for a good price.  

• Like 1

The very last day of Hawker Chan at Royal is tomorrow. Today and tomorrow you also get a free coconut ice dessert with your meal. Also 10 percent off coupons still honored. Find them just as you walk in the front door to your left on the white shelves.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, balo said:

Jingthing and others who enjoy food from new Chinese/Asian places in town will be happy the next years but western places are going to close pretty soon if the Chinese invasion continues. And that worries me. Still some decent German, French and Italian places around but also several are closing their doors.

Many Chinese visitors like to try western  Indian and Thai food.

MALAYSIA CAFE :partytime2:

Central Pattaya

Open daily till 9 P.M. but closed Tuesdays

I'm sure that some of us in Pattaya based on our travels in Malaysia have been wishing for a legit Malaysian restaurant to open up in Pattaya. 

Others may not be familiar with the food but open to trying something a little different. 

Well, it's happened. 

We've got a real Malaysian restaurant now in Pattaya.

Now is the time to try it out for yourselves and if you like it (as I do) SUPPORT it with your repeat business.

It's called the Malaysia Café. It's easy to find. At the corner of 2nd road and Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya Road) turn away from the beach to Soi 16 (near the famous mango sticky rice stand). Then turn left on Soi 16 and find this small shophouse Malaysian gem on the right side of the soi. It's located among the low cost Indian restaurants on the soi. 

IMG_20180820_012630.thumb.jpg.77420b01a905452d1f2fb76ecfac89b2.jpg.8a53a0a596d2c37c647774652c7ea89c.jpg

Dishes I've enjoyed not pictured include the lovely chicken assam curry (150) and the kang kung belachan (morning glory) 100.

Here are some pictures of actual dishes to tempt you. At the café, there are pictures of the dishes both on the wall and on the menu. So it's very accessible to English speakers. 

Small fried Yellow Fish w/ sambal sauce 150

IMG_20180823_175501.thumb.jpg.b3a28d489dfb4dd6910a3d6759e7ad86.jpg

(In case you're wondering, even though these are whole fish, they were easy to eat)

Omelet w/ bitter gourd 100

IMG_20180824_182507.thumb.jpg.9310cc7355a4e731075bb3dcd057c96b.jpg

(Other omelet dishes are on offer including one called "foo yung" style which may particularly interest Americans and Brits)

Kam Heong Mussels 250

(Dish is also offered w/ pork belly or chicken for I assume less cost. The picture on the wall shows clams but I was told the Thailand clams don't work for this dish, so they use mussels instead. Sorry the picture isn't great but it was delicious.

Seafood lovers -- note there is a large whole fish on offer for 250 either fried sweet and sour or steamed Chinese style w/ soy sauce.)

IMG_20180824_181750.thumb.jpg.22c1d3de4600b12d39dbfada586ebdb8.jpg

"Happy Family" Chinese style clay pot 150

This dish is not on the menu but I asked if the chef could do Chinese clay pots and he came up with this. Similar dishes are often called Happy Family style because of so many ingredients. It had shrimp, fish, pork belly, Chinese sausage, fried tofu, and vegetables. 

IMG_20180823_174459.thumb.jpg.d699640df803b90545d6b074879f2661.jpg

As you can see, some of the dishes have spices and some are mild. You can request heat level preference on the spicy dishes.

Yes, it's no secret that I'm enthusiastic about our  new (and only) local Malaysian restaurant and hoping they find a loyal local following. In that spirit, if you do visit and try dishes not already pictured, I hope that you take pictures and post them so that more people get exposed to the options there.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Thanks.
I sometimes post TripAdvisor links just for the convenience because they contain location info, links to menus, and also sometimes useful pictures of the food. I agree don't rely on them but on the other hand food tastes are subjective and the best test is trying out places personally.

• Like 2

Local Chinese Restaurant Snippets

Chinese Shaxian Snacks

This is potentially big news. 

This restaurant is definitely going to open on 2nd road, across from Soi 6, North Pattaya. I can tell because there is already a fancy sign and I can see work is being done to build the restaurant which is now empty. 

Shaxian Snacks (also called Shaxian delicacies) is a quite unusual "chain" from China that reportedly has 40,000 to 60,000 locations there. They are expanding internationally including Thailand. The name just means typical Chinese dishes (noodles in peanut sauce, dumplings, etc.) in the distinctive style of Sha county in the province of Fujian, eastern China. For it to be a real outlet it must be owned by a person from that county! However, it is not a normal chain in that there isn't consistency across the brand about what's exactly on the menu and how it's going to taste. So we'll see but visiting there is certainly something I'm looking forward to. 

Sign of another new Chinese restaurant. Literally, there is a sign saying Chinese Restaurant. It's above the Bodega Bar, corner 2nd road and Soi 13/2 South Pattaya (nightlife area). More signs at the adjacent Chinese hostel U-home. So I asked there and was told it would "maybe" open in one month, or two months, or three months. Hmm. 

Clone Chinese restaurants!

When visiting the plastic fake "Chinatown" open food court in North Pattaya, 2nd road, north of Marina Mall, one of the restaurants has the same menu in multiple outlets there. Now they're expanding. Another Chinese place across Marina Mall itself has the exact same menu. I recall this place's original origin was a single Chinese place on North Pattaya road (now gone). For me, their prices are too high relatively to the quality, not to mention the menus are not in English. So I'm not a fan. But something to observe as the Chinese restaurant boom starts to challenge the Indian restaurant boom. It's worth noting that local Indian restaurants often have multiple locations here as well, sometimes with different names but the exact same menu. 

Edited by Jingthing

Sergio's Pizza Factory

at the Avenue

New restaurant replaces Pizza Pizza which became "famous" for it's 79 baht cheap pizza promotion that was OK but definitely a great deal. 

I haven't had the chance to eat at Sergio's yet but this is a totally different restaurant which I could easily tell just looking at the menu.

The range of pizza topping choices was impressive. But the pasta menu was even more impressive. Focus on freshly made pastas of different kinds (including gnocchi) with some classic and more interestingly some more unique sauces.

The prices seemed mid-level. Drinks including water on the overpriced side and I think there is a service charge of 10 percent added (but tax included in the price). 

Don't expect 79 baht pizzas there ever. I can't comment on how wonderful (or not) the food is yet but it certainly seems well worth trying out. 

http://pattayapeople.com/2018/08/22/sergios-pizza-factory/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 6:31 PM, Jingthing said:

I haven't had the chance to eat at Sergio's yet but this is a totally different restaurant which I could easily tell just looking at the menu.

It's actually the same owner as Pizza Pizza.   Sergio decided to close his chain of restaurants  in Bangkok and moved to Pattaya to start from fresh .  

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some promotions soon. Haven't tried their pizzas yet but it looks good. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, balo said:

Sergio decided to close his chain of restaurants  in Bangkok and moved to Pattaya to start from fresh .  

Doesn't sound very promising, unless he sold his chain of restaurants of course, but nobody simply closes something that is doing well.