The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

So I will be in Pattaya again shortly has anybody been to this

place and if yes what is the food like I know it is German food

and you might not like it but being native German I would

love to try

http://www.meetingpoint-darkside.com/?fbclid=IwAR2OAUM_0D4jw4R9wq5NsTQv0zw6RSPwTm1kgP_BoP32AOsoUUagKgThpp8

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

love to try

http://www.meetingpoint-darkside.com/?fbclid=IwAR2OAUM_0D4jw4R9wq5NsTQv0zw6RSPwTm1kgP_BoP32AOsoUUagKgThpp8

Yes, the owner is German as well. I've been there a couple of times, food is good. My problem with the restaurant is it's location, it's right at a corner of the road and there's a fair bit of traffic tight in front of it. Worth a try.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, the owner is German as well. I've been there a couple of times, food is good. My problem with the restaurant is it's location, it's right at a corner of the road and there's a fair bit of traffic tight in front of it. Worth a try.

an impressive menu and not expensive I guess

Yes, cheap and decent food, not my cup of tea but have a few German friends and they like it.

If anybody is staying in that area, there are several good German/Swiss style places, all good food (and good Thai food also) and not expensive. Lan Garden is behind Tops, Soi Khao noi, nearby is a Swiss place, forget name, opposite from Tops and up the hill a few hundred meters. Samis and Mickeys are worth the effort also, both on Soi Padtanagran.

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

love to try

Clearly the best value for the price concerning German / western food.

Especially the 149 thb breakfast.

Yes the location is not perfect and there is not aircon, but there are fans on all tables.

This is for me the only place where I eat German food when in Pattaya, all the other idiots restaurants owners are just robbers selling overpriced food.

1 hour ago, plfomylo said:

Clearly the best value for the price concerning German / western food.

Especially the 149 thb breakfast.

Yes the location is not perfect and there is not aircon, but there are fans on all tables.

This is for me the only place where I eat German food when in Pattaya, all the other idiots restaurants owners are just robbers selling overpriced food.

you guys just make my mouth water never mind the aircon as long the food is ok

and I agree with the prices are very reasonable but don't tell the owner 

or he will increase the prices ????

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Yes, cheap and decent food, not my cup of tea but have a few German friends and they like it.

If anybody is staying in that area, there are several good German/Swiss style places, all good food (and good Thai food also) and not expensive. Lan Garden is behind Tops, Soi Khao noi, nearby is a Swiss place, forget name, opposite from Tops and up the hill a few hundred meters. Samis and Mickeys are worth the effort also, both on Soi Padtanagran.

well I am not staying in that area I guess but my lady friend got a car so distance

is not a problem I stay here

Boonsamphan 3/1
20150 Nong Prue
Thailand

19 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

love to try

I have eaten there many times.     Excellent food, great prices.      

On 9/23/2019 at 10:25 PM, hackjam said:

That's good to know about their beef, as I don't think I have ever had decent beef Sunday roast in Pattaya.

I have been to Dice R a few times for Sunday buffet, which was very good but really got the hump about drink prices, what I would describe as a total <deleted> take, I think they charge 300B for a Magners cider. And I seem to recall they do the plus plus thing. I would certainly return for buffet if they have screwed the head with drinks prices????

Ask for a glass with water.  Not bottled water.  It's free.  They will try get you to order bottled water (usually by playing a little dumb) but just insist on a glass of water.  They have containers of drinking water behind the bar. The waiters won't tell you about it, without you specifically asking, to try get you to buy their overpriced drinks.

A lot of places play this game so it's not unique to this place.  Sizzler does it too but at least their bottled water is more reasonably priced (I think?)

Saab Der Vietnamese Restaurant

Pattaya Tai, Soi 12 (across from large mosque)

I have tried this place numerous times via the GRAB food delivery app. I have never visited the restaurant and never will but I do know the prices are lower there.

Dishes I've tried:

Beef Pho

Chicken Pho

Bun Cha

Elephant ear

Fresh spring rolls

and the new menu item: 

Banh Mi (sandwich)

How we react to food is usually strongly influenced by our past experiences.

I have many years experience eating amazingly good Vietnamese food in the USA in restaurants catering mostly to Vietnamese Americans. So I know what I like and I think I know what's good.

Overall for me the food at this restaurant is just OK. I wouldn't have gone a second time to it in the U.S. But this is Pattaya where the Vietnamese food options are limited.

On the Pho, I liked the beef better. The beef was more like standard Thai beef pieces rather than the distinctive Vietnamese cuts. The chicken in the chicken pho seemed to me to be the processed type of chicken filets. 

The broths for the Pho didn't seem very developed. 

The add on leaf vegetables etc. added good flavor to the broths. 

Their bun cha didn't work for me. I am very spoiled in my food memory for bun cha.

Elephant ear appetizer I rather liked. The fresh spring rolls weren't bad either though a different style than I've ever seen before.

I think a lot of people will be interested in their sandwiches, banh mi.

On Grab there is only one choice for them so I didn't know what filling to expect.

So I'll describe what it was.

A not large open bread (bread was not bad) filled with

Pickled carrot (only carrot, no other pickled veg) that was doused in some kind of mayonnaise

A too small amount of cilantro

Some nice lettuce leaves

Thin slices of some kind of Vietnamese style loaf meat, assumed it was pork based

I think that would be OK for some people. 

But I have very specific tastes with Vietnamese sandwiches.

In the U.S. Vietnamese places they make them to order and generally standard is that gross margarine you see at roti stands here and also some kind of pate.

Then you get lots of pickled vegetables (to me the star), cilantro, and sliced fresh JALAPENO peppers of all things.

Then choice of meat. I usually ordered chicken pieces.

Well if that's authentic I don't like authentic. Because what I would do is ask for no margarine and no pate and take the sandwiches home and add Dijon mustard and avocado slices!

Well getting the sandwich on Grab I was ready with mustard and avocado here and also some sliced chicken so that I could doctor it up to my taste.

But like I said the pickled sliced carrots were doused in mayonnaise so I mostly removed that part. So as you can see, this didn't work for me largely because the pickled veg was limited and for my tastes ruined with all that mayo. 

More than most of my food comments, I do realize this "review" is extremely subjective. If you like mayo on Vietnamese sanwiches (assumed it was that Thai mayo but not sure) you won't have the problem I did. 

95 baht on Grab plus delivery.

What a strange statement.

Not strange at all in the context. I've been using the place for delivery. I obviously don't love the food but think some items are OK. So why would I bother to go out of my way without a vehicle to visit such a place? Answer. No reason at all.

I probably should have mentioned that I would visit Pho Mr. Nam on Tappraya instead. Even though I don't like their location either for me their location is much better than the reviewed restaurant and I also like their food much better as well. But Pho Mr. Nam isn't on Grab.

Cheers.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not strange at all in the context. I've been using the place for delivery. I obviously don't love the food but think some items are OK. So why would I bother to go out of my way without a vehicle to visit such a place? Answer. No reason at all.

Sometimes there is a reason, this is especially true with pizza deliveries. The time the food spends in the containers ruins it. Also, sometimes there are better items available when in the restaurant. I get your point though, but when it comes to food I tend to be the glass half full kind of dude. I do get dissappointed a lot, but then there are gems that make it all worth it. You have to eat your way through a mountain of mediocrity to find them.

27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Sometimes there is a reason, this is especially true with pizza deliveries. The time the food spends in the containers ruins it. Also, sometimes there are better items available when in the restaurant. I get your point though, but when it comes to food I tend to be the glass half full kind of dude. I do get dissappointed a lot, but then there are gems that make it all worth it. You have to eat your way through a mountain of mediocrity to find them.

You don't get all you can drink fountain drinks when you get stuff delivered.  KFC is one that comes to mind. 

OK, in THIS particular case I have full confidence that I can't imagine any reason at all that I would go out of my way to go their physical address. But I might order from them again on Grab delivery if I feel like some OK Vietnamese food. Enough already. 

On 9/29/2019 at 1:09 AM, Jingthing said:

The fresh spring rolls weren't bad either though a different style than I've ever seen before.

I tried this a couple of months back as I'm a big fan of fresh spring rolls. They were horrid. The non meat part was just as expected but they put pig skin, I think likely boiled, in as the meat. I promptly removed all the pig skin and ate the rest. I have had fresh spring rolls in many different countries including Vietnam and never seen anything so disgusting.

Locally I have found a couple of locations where they are edible, one on the dark side and one off Pattaya Tai, both called Vientiane, although they say they are not (currently) related. The dark side one is situated over a small stocked pond. The other one seems to mainly cater to tourist busses. The menus are almost identical with the dark side one being a bit more expensive. Well worth a visit for Vietnamese food.

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I probably should have mentioned that I would visit Pho Mr. Nam on Tappraya instead. Even though I don't like their location either for me their location is much better than the reviewed restaurant and I also like their food much better as well. But Pho Mr. Nam isn't on Grab.

Pho Mr. Nam has re-opened?

Did not know that.

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Locally I have found a couple of locations where they are edible, one on the dark side and one off Pattaya Tai, both called Vientiane, although they say they are not (currently) related. The dark side one is situated over a small stocked pond. The other one seems to mainly cater to tourist busses. The menus are almost identical with the dark side one being a bit more expensive. Well worth a visit for Vietnamese food.

Vientiane is an institution in Pattaya.

Originally on Second Road, they had to re-locate due to the Avenue being built.

They then moved to Walking Street, then South Road, and then the Darkside.

The menu has not changed in decades, and I have always thought the Vietnamese side of the menu is great. As you say, the spring rolls are best around, as is the Naem Nuang.

BUT, I do eat regularly at Saep Der and really like their Spring Rolls etc. as I do some of their soups, some you can't get anywhere else, like Mee Kathi.

I used to eat at Vientiane alot when they were on 2nd road and then occasionally on Pattaya Tai. So dated impressions. Not really a Vietnamese restaurant but a limited menu of Vietnamese options. Yes their Naem Nuang is locally famous and was definitely good when I had it. That's a Viet dish that is popular with Thais unlike Pho. I think they are on some delivery services.

Vientiane is an institution in Pattaya.

Originally on Second Road, they had to re-locate due to the Avenue being built.

They then moved to Walking Street, then South Road, and then the Darkside.

The menu has not changed in decades, and I have always thought the Vietnamese side of the menu is great. As you say, the spring rolls are best around, as is the Naem Nuang.

BUT, I do eat regularly at Saep Der and really like their Spring Rolls etc. as I do some of their soups, some you can't get anywhere else, like Mee Kathi.

Mee Kathi? That does sound good. That's a Thai dish and that place does also have Thai food. I don't recall seeing Mee Kathi on their Grab menu.

Anyone know some other places in town to get Mee Kathi?

Tequila Sunrise

Chaiyaphruek Road, Jomtien Beach

Very recently changed ownership

Reportedly (according to a reliable source) now out of business

This place was well known for cheap but good roast dinners and other comfort food. No, it was not a Mexican restaurant.

If this report of closure is incorrect, please post to correct it ASAP.

Just me I suppose, but my expectations would always be lower when using services like grab, than eating in the restaurant itself.

I can not in anyway imagine that something coming out of a kitchen fresh, could be compared to something that has to travel a distance to get to you.

Just me I suppose, but my expectations would always be lower when using services like grab, than eating in the restaurant itself.

I can not in anyway imagine that something coming out of a kitchen fresh, could be compared to something that has to travel a distance to get to you.
Well the hot food had arrived plenty hot from that Vietnamese place so I'm not going to blame the meh factor on delivery. For example a well developed Pho broth wouldn't lose that flavor in a 5 to 10 minute ride.

The new Loma Night Bazaar has recently opened on Pattaya/Naklua Rd. It is on the left going up the hill from Dolphin Circus and is just past Kiss Food and Drink.

Though not a restaurant per se there are dozens of eating options with plenty of tables and chairs to sit at to enjoy your food. Mostly Thai fare but I also spied sushi at 10 Baht a piece. Many fried and BBQ meats and seafood is on offer, some veggie options too. A few food vans add to the mix. Prices seem to be Thai friendly - cheap.

There are bars for alcoholic and smoothie drinks. Chang seems to be the beer of choice.

During a brief stroll round we were serenaded by a 1950s Cliff Richard LP, including The Young Ones. Bizzare!

There are also clothes and fruit and veg stalls plus stuff for your next temple visit.

Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, seasia said:

Hi champers

Interesting thanks, so that is just past the soi Wong Amat/soi 18/2 turn off on what has been mere wasteland for a long while?

I will take a look when I get back.

Yes, just empty land for ages. Took about a month to build and they have used gravel for footpaths so a bit uneven. Was about 5 and still light when we just gave it the once over and it was getting busy then. Had a band on opening night last Friday, nothing since.

Siam Ranjuan

More unusual Thai food (ancient style recipes and Southern as well as more familiar modern standards)

Terminal 21 Mall

Tokyo Floor

I've noticed this place before and yes the menu looked interesting but it's somewhat on the expensive side and the precious old timey décor kind of put me off.

There was a member that posted about it soon after the mall opened saying his Thai girlfriend loved the place but he was less excited and also not excited about paying the bill. 

Well now they're on Eatigo with discounts up to 50 percent, so why not?

Although I can find nothing at all about the place on the web in English anyway and I found out they have a Bangkok location apparently called Diamond D (also can't find anything online about that location either) the writeup on Eatigo intrigued me.

Their signature dishes are on the very first page of the menu left hand side which I didn't realize until after I ordered.

They are:

Spicy pork or beef soup with shrimp paste

Curry soup with chicken which in a style that is a mix of Massaman and Javanese curry

Pork (finely minced) in chili paste with Southern Thai flavors

But I still ordered well considering I loved the meal:

Shrimp with sator beans (stinky beans) in shrimp paste (Southern Thai classic) 250

The signature chili paste dish mentioned above but with chicken 160

Spicy pork ribs soup 220

All the dishes were excellent. The portions were on the smallish side so certainly didn't leave stuffed. The shrimp sator as good a version of that dish as I've had anywhere. The finely minced chicken dish with southern flavor great but I think it would be tastier with pork. The spicy soup was a thicker style than you usually get and was rather tom yummy. 

So from my POV I think this is one of the better Thai food restaurants in town. So thank you to Eatigo for finally nudging me into this place. Better late than never.

No tax added. 

10 percent service charge added. 

But there's more.

This place figures the 10 percent based on the total BEFORE the Eatigo discount. They're allowed to do that under Eatigo rules but most restaurants don't. So now you know.

Archived