The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 9/30/2019 at 12:49 PM, Jingthing said:

Tequila Sunrise

Chaiyaphruek Road, Jomtien Beach

Very recently changed ownership

Reportedly (according to a reliable source) now out of business

This place was well known for cheap but good roast dinners and other comfort food. No, it was not a Mexican restaurant.

If this report of closure is incorrect, please post to correct it ASAP.

As you probably know it was taken over by the gentleman who owned The Ritz in Jomtien, excellent restaurant. Since he took over Tequila Sunrise we've been waiting for his promised Sunday lunch but to no avail, I don't think he ever actually opened the place in daytime.

I'm amazed given his age he took it on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Siam Ranjuan

More unusual Thai food (ancient style recipes and Southern as well as more familiar modern standards)

Terminal 21 Mall

Tokyo Floor

I've noticed this place before and yes the menu looked interesting but it's somewhat on the expensive side and the precious old timey décor kind of put me off.

There was a member that posted about it soon after the mall opened saying his Thai girlfriend loved the place but he was less excited and also not excited about paying the bill. 

Well now they're on Eatigo with discounts up to 50 percent, so why not?

Although I can find nothing at all about the place on the web in English anyway and I found out they have a Bangkok location apparently called Diamond D (also can't find anything online about that location either) the writeup on Eatigo intrigued me.

Their signature dishes are on the very first page of the menu left hand side which I didn't realize until after I ordered.

They are:

Spicy pork or beef soup with shrimp paste

Curry soup with chicken which in a style that is a mix of Massaman and Javanese curry

Pork (finely minced) in chili paste with Southern Thai flavors

But I still ordered well considering I loved the meal:

Shrimp with sator beans (stinky beans) in shrimp paste (Southern Thai classic) 250

The signature chili paste dish mentioned above but with chicken 160

Spicy pork ribs soup 220

All the dishes were excellent. The portions were on the smallish side so certainly didn't leave stuffed. The shrimp sator as good a version of that dish as I've had anywhere. The finely minced chicken dish with southern flavor great but I think it would be tastier with pork. The spicy soup was a thicker style than you usually get and was rather tom yummy. 

So from my POV I think this is one of the better Thai food restaurants in town. So thank you to Eatigo for finally nudging me into this place. Better late than never.

No tax added. 

10 percent service charge added. 

But there's more.

This place figures the 10 percent based on the total BEFORE the Eatigo discount. They're allowed to do that under Eatigo rules but most restaurants don't. So now you know.

I've had places figure the 10% service charge and the 7% vat on the total bill, then add that to the bill after the Eatigo discount.  I was annoyed!

Edited by ricklev

27 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I've had places figure the 10% service charge and the 7% vat on the total bill, then add that to the bill after the Eatigo discount.  I was annoyed!

Yes, I would be too. You generally have to try the specific places to find out their specific policies because you book in advance and they don't tell you such details on the app. In the case of Siam Ranjuan what they do wouldn't stop me from returning. It would be nice if the staff actually got all the service charges that we pay but sadly that isn't always the case. 

Is that Eatigo app legit?  Like are there any catches at all or do you just get a discount with no catches whatsoever other than making a reservation?

Sounds like there is one catch according to the above poster, where they add taxes and service charge after, effectively watering down the discount

Edited by shdmn

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well the hot food had arrived plenty hot from that Vietnamese place so I'm not going to blame the meh factor on delivery. For example a well developed Pho broth wouldn't lose that flavor in a 5 to 10 minute ride.

Well, my thought was not directed especially at a ... Vietnamese place (?) 

And was just a personal thought, that I could never judge a restaurant, from how their food travels, compared to how it is when it comes out of the kitchen.

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

As you probably know it was taken over by the gentleman who owned The Ritz in Jomtien, excellent restaurant. Since he took over Tequila Sunrise we've been waiting for his promised Sunday lunch but to no avail, I don't think he ever actually opened the place in daytime.

I'm amazed given his age he took it on.

Khun John?

It its same guy, must be tipping 90

27 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Well, my thought was not directed especially at a ... Vietnamese place (?) 

And was just a personal thought, that I could never judge a restaurant, from how their food travels, compared to how it is when it comes out of the kitchen.

Fair enough. It kind of depends on different factors. I wouldn't say always or never on that question.

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Khun John?

It its same guy, must be tipping 90

John Rumbellow? there has been much drama with the 'Ritz' related to his departures/subsequent operation 

If he can manage to bring in the quality of food from the original Ritz in a now much better location then it's worth a visit

So they are served with jalapeños?

I assume that is the marketing menu picture rather than an actual serving correct?

There was no choice at all for filling in Grab. I got thinly sliced Vietnamese bologna not big meatballs . So can you tell us the specific choices for the sandwich fillings there?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Might want to quote the source of that photo: https://www.cooky.vn/cong-thuc/banh-mi-kep-thit-vien-chien-14274

I think JT got what's really at offer instead of that professional food photo (which they do really nasty tricks to get, like using superglue, spray paint, etc).
Yes that is typical for menu pictures. Usually not even close to WYSIWYG.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Just now, DrTuner said:

Might want to quote the source of that photo: https://www.cooky.vn/cong-thuc/banh-mi-kep-thit-vien-chien-14274

I think JT got what's really at offer instead of that professional food photo (which they do really nasty tricks to get, like using superglue, spray paint, etc).

Hi

I will admit did not realise that sort of thing goes on, OK naive of me.

Naughty practice really.

I would not be happy if after looking at a restaurant website menu, seeing a dish I like the look of, perhaps going out of my way only to be served something very different.

Reviews on this thread I find to be good/useful

I sometimes wonder about some on TA, suspect it gets some biased reviews.

19 hours ago, seasia said:

I sometimes wonder about some on TA, suspect it gets some biased reviews.

A lot of it is rose colored glasses ("oh so exotic!") and it's just hoi polloi tourists, not foodies. Here in TVF we have highly developed taste buds beyond compare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2019 at 1:26 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Going to guess, this will be pretty dreadful .. anyone?

72917078_549018502306049_515701723637767215_n.jpg.605930fcfc15a90e32571fdd31a05f8c.jpg

It's on the ground floor near Central Food Hall grocery. I had a look at the menu. It appeared to be somewhat pimped out Thai basics for quite high prices. Both times I passed I saw no customers. The second time it looked like the entire staff was in front in begging to come in mode. Promotion time?

• Like 1

Ippudo Ramen

World class ramen chain comes to Central Pattaya Beach Mall.

Ground floor, close to the new food court beach side. 

Major promotions (like 2 for 1s) going in from today till the 16th.

Not so long ago there were no actually decent (in my opinion) ramen shops in town. 

The opening of T21 remedied that. 

Now perhaps an even better option?

U.S. menu:

https://ippudo-us.com/menu/

Edited by Jingthing

https://www.facebook.com/PHOMRNAM/posts/487339388521119

Business for sale.
We would like to sell the full restaurant with all equipment included in the sales price. This includes the bar, espresso machine and a stainless-steel elegant noodle station for 600000b.
The monthly rental is very low here and reasonable: 22500b a month. The water bill is 1500b. The typical charge for the electricity is around 6000b for the monthly bill.
The new owner would need to make a new contract with the hotel owner who is an extremely nice person and reasonable to deal with.
We are closing due to personal reasons. The new owner could be quite successful if they choose to cater the food for the restaurant at outside events to make more income.
Please message me for more questions.

72482901_487337778521280_179511405131595

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

https://www.facebook.com/PHOMRNAM/posts/487339388521119

Business for sale.
We would like to sell the full restaurant with all equipment included in the sales price. This includes the bar, espresso machine and a stainless-steel elegant noodle station for 600000b.
The monthly rental is very low here and reasonable: 22500b a month. The water bill is 1500b. The typical charge for the electricity is around 6000b for the monthly bill.
The new owner would need to make a new contract with the hotel owner who is an extremely nice person and reasonable to deal with.
We are closing due to personal reasons. The new owner could be quite successful if they choose to cater the food for the restaurant at outside events to make more income.
Please message me for more questions.

72482901_487337778521280_179511405131595

If reopened they should join GRAB. 

Ippudo

https://ippudo.co.th/

High quality but not cheap international Ramen chain

Central Pattaya Beach Mall, ground floor, beach side near the new food court 

This isn't a detailed review. I tried it one time and I will be back. First of all this place is clearly a MONEY MACHINE.  The design just sucks in the customers. It's quite a small location, limited tables, very close together, giving the feeling of scarcity, desirability. It's open not enclosed so all the passing people can see all the eating people. 

I tried one of the featured ramens on the outside sign. This one had curly thicker noodles with a broth of rich chicken and fish powder with the usual pork, egg, and seaweed. About 220 baht but add 17 percent plus plus. Free refills green tea is a reasonable 30 baht. There is a current promotion of a discount on appetizers if you buy a pint of Asahi beer.

On the ramen I sampled, every element was excellent but for some reason the sum of the parts didn't quite add up to the best bowl of ramen I've had in Pattaya, Thailand, or the U.S. (I've never been to Japan).

But I've yet to try what they're most famous for, their Tonkotsu broth (creamy high fat pork bones). Also in the menu they seem to be pushing their longer thin noodles. So I definitely have to try those things there. 

I just had my ramen with green tea and was still hungry. So if you come hungry maybe order a side dish.

If you like ramen, you're going to go there. You don't need me to tell you to. Have fun.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2