The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Ippudo

https://ippudo.co.th/

High quality but not cheap international Ramen chain

Central Pattaya Beach Mall, ground floor, beach side near the new food court 

This isn't a detailed review. I tried it one time and I will be back. First of all this place is clearly a MONEY MACHINE.  The design just sucks in the customers. It's quite a small location, limited tables, very close together, giving the feeling of scarcity, desirability. It's open not enclosed so all the passing people can see all the eating people. 

I tried one of the featured ramens on the outside sign. This one had curly thicker noodles with a broth of rich chicken and fish powder with the usual pork, egg, and seaweed. About 220 baht but add 17 percent plus plus. Free refills green tea is a reasonable 30 baht. There is a current promotion of a discount on appetizers if you buy a pint of Asahi beer.

On the ramen I sampled, every element was excellent but for some reason the sum of the parts didn't quite add up to the best bowl of ramen I've had in Pattaya, Thailand, or the U.S. (I've never been to Japan).

But I've yet to try what they're most famous for, their Tonkotsu broth (creamy high fat pork bones). Also in the menu they seem to be pushing their longer thin noodles. So I definitely have to try those things there. 

I just had my ramen with green tea and was still hungry. So if you come hungry maybe order a side dish.

If you like ramen, you're going to go there. You don't need me to tell you to. Have fun.

I think it is pretty good, but agree pricey for here noodles, broth and a few pieces of pork.  The loc. at Silom in BKK is usually packed.

It is highly regarded in Japan.  Even ANA airlines serves it as a snack in Bus. Class in the Tonkotsu form and it is very good.

Good to know thanks have not been to Central for awhile,  will check it out.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:16 PM, hackjam said:

Has Cherrys not just moved, sure I have seen a Cherrys near Soi land office???

There has been a Cherry's Restaurant on Soi Korpai 4 for a number of years. Cannot say that I've even seen a customer within.

After the, frankly mediocre, experiences at the Third Road location, nothing would have made me want to enter.

• Like 2

Mr Tums on Soi 3 Cosy Beach Rd. First Soi on the right after the 711 on the corner. A cheap family run Thai restaurant with some foreign dishes including oysters in garlic butter. No loud music or loud sport. A nice family run restaurant. Not worth crossing town for but worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Like 2

Golden Dragon Restaurant

(or maybe)

China Dragon Restaurant

Definitely something Dragon

3rd road

Part between flyover and  Pattaya Tai

South Pattaya

I noticed this place on the from Jomtien baht bus detour because of construction.

It looked kind of cheesy from the bus but you never know. It's not an area that I would usually stop at. 

If you're in this area and have seen or see this restaurant could you do us a favor and have a look at their menu and report about it here? Or even eat there, he he. 

Thanks

Hi

Another Italian restaurant coming to naklua soon.

Work started a few days ago on a former Family Mart shop on soi 27 ( opposite Tesco Express )

I have chatted a bit to the owner, a Sicilian.

Talked about the dishes he will offer, including a range of pizzas etc.

Hopefully he succeeds but I cannot help thinking there is a fair bit of competition already, including the very highly rated Grottinos not far away.

He estimates to be open by Mid December.

I will probably give it a try.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, seasia said:

Hi

Work started a few days ago on a former Family Mart shop on soi 27 ( opposite Tesco Express )

Hopefully he succeeds but I cannot help thinking there is a fair bit of competition already, including the very highly rated Grottinos not far away.

I will try it too. I hope they succeed; they are going to be starting off in high season. How things pan out after will be key. Plenty of Chinese and Koreans round Naklua these days and many seem to enjoy Italian food. Good luck to them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi

Throw in Pizza Big and few few others already there.

Good luck, seems like a risky overcrowded market.

• Like 1

Not happy about the service at Taco Taco just off Klang near Buakao.  I ordered the chips and salsa appetizer to snack on with my margarita.  She asked if I wanted a chip refill (there was still plenty of sauce).  I said sure.  What she didn't tell me was that she was going to charge me for a whole other chips and salsa. 

There was no indication whatsoever there would be a second charge for another chips and salsa.  I had actually been there a few days before and they did the same thing and there was no charge.  It was exactly the same waitress too.  Not cool. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

Not happy about the service at Taco Taco just off Klang near Buakao.  I ordered the chips and salsa appetizer to snack on with my margarita.  She asked if I wanted a chip refill (there was still plenty of sauce).  I said sure.  What she didn't tell me was that she was going to charge me for a whole other chips and salsa. 

There was no indication whatsoever there would be a second charge for another chips and salsa.  I had actually been there a few days before and they did the same thing and there was no charge.  It was exactly the same waitress too.  Not cool. 

Interesting. 

Well as it's a menu item and not a free starter (as is usual in Mexican restaurants in the U.S. and Mexico) it shouldn't have been any more shocking than getting charged for another drink if you were asked would you like another margarita? But because you were given the top up gratis before I do understand your annoyance. My policy is that when in a for profit restaurant if they offer something that is a menu item and they don't say gratis, free, or on the house, it usually ain't. Once I had a little incident at an Italian restaurant that ALWAYS gives some spirits free after the meal. Instead of waiting for it to be offered free I thought I would speed things up and just asked for it. Because I asked for it, it showed up on my bill! 

I do have a question. Did you COMPLAIN about the charge? In that case I would have brought it up that you had assumed it was free considered the same thing was free before. If you didn't complain in that situation, I think you should have. Restauranteurs can't read minds. They don't want upset customers especially these days where people post online about their bad experiences!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Nope, I just won't go back because it was nothing special anyways.  A small portion of store bought nachos, not authentic homemade mexican nachos.  Everything else on the menu is kind of expensive and from what I have heard, nothing special either.  I'll just go to Tequilla Reef which has similar prices and better location.  I have my doubts they will last long in that location.

Up to you. I'm really not much into nachos but in my opinion the Mexican food at Taco Taco is MUCHO MEJOR than at Tequila Reef. I also think that the people with the most experience with Mexican food (North Americans) would mostly feel the same way. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Agreed ... especially on Tuesday when they have their heavily promoted Taco Tuesday.

Reducing the size of the Tacos while telling you its a great deal is dishonest IMO.

Pretty standard, 1 less sausage in the special bangers and mash!

Wok 'n' Roll.

New place recently opened on the corner of Pattaya/Naklua Rd and Pattaya Nua (North) Road. Prime, prime location, premises previously housed Best Seat restaurant.

Wok 'n' Roll seems to be a bar/restaurant and currently have an offer of a beer for 40 Baht if you order food. There is no menu out front but pictures inside and out give an idea of what is on offer foodwise. I did not go in today and the place was empty at 6.30 this evening. Not sure who their target market are but all signage and promo material is in English. I will keep a watching brief for now.

20191104_183100.jpg

20191104_183034.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, champers said:

Wok 'n' Roll.

New place recently opened on the corner of Pattaya/Naklua Rd and Pattaya Nua (North) Road. Prime, prime location, premises previously housed Best Seat restaurant.

Wok 'n' Roll seems to be a bar/restaurant and currently have an offer of a beer for 40 Baht if you order food. There is no menu out front but pictures inside and out give an idea of what is on offer foodwise. I did not go in today and the place was empty at 6.30 this evening. Not sure who their target market are but all signage and promo material is in English. I will keep a watching brief for now.

20191104_183100.jpg

20191104_183034.jpg

Hi champers.

Thanks for that.

You are certainly right, that is a prime location.

I guess the rent must be very high.

The former Best Seat restaurant   I  never noticed much in the way of customer there.

I never tried it, the menu prices seemed overly high.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi champers.

Thanks for that.

You are certainly right, that is a prime location.

I guess the rent must be very high.

The former Best Seat restaurant   I  never noticed much in the way of customer there.

I never tried it, the menu prices seemed overly high.

You would think so but I never see anyone going to any of the places around there.  Everyone is coming/and going somewhere else.  Just not the sort of area people want to loiter in for whatever reason.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, champers said:

Wok 'n' Roll.

20191104_183100.jpg

20191104_183034.jpg

Any relation to the old Wok 'n Rok? The best British style Chinese food.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Any relation to the old Wok 'n Rok? The best British style Chinese food.

I was wondering the same. Formerly on Soi Buakhao specializing in Brit takeaway style Chinese food and pretty good if I recall. A UK guy whose Thai wife did the cooking.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was wondering the same. Formerly on Soi Buakhao specializing in Brit takeaway style Chinese food and pretty good if I recall. A UK guy whose Thai wife did the cooking.

Yep. Always had major problems with staffing in the restaurant and eventually closed and moved to a cabin on LK Metro opposite Billabong. Last heard of working in conjunction with a restaurant in Rhompo. Have been able to buy their frozen takaways from a couple of farang minimarts on the Darkside until recently. IMO the best Chinese food in Pattaya.

Ate at Alter Ego last night for the first time.

Next door to Papagoyos on Soi Diana or entrance in the arcade behind. Very small so if interested book - I don't think they are open at weekends.

For me the food was excellent and very different to what I have normally been eating here.

Picture of the menu -

20191105_214512.thumb.jpg.7d4c1a597463a6758d952db4fd5adbd6.jpg 

The complimentary appetisers (of which there were 3) were very different and enjoyable

• Thanks 1