The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

CALLING FOR REPORTS ON "FINDS"

Recently I found a wonderful (and not expensive) Chinese dumpling restaurant that had already been open for a year! If I had known about it when they opened, I (and others) would have been able to enjoy it for that year. The location of this place isn't really very obscure so I'm surprised it took me so long to discover it. 

Can you/will you share the name and location of this "wonderful (and not expensive) Chinese dumpling restaurant"? :jap:

27 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Can you/will you share the name and location of this "wonderful (and not expensive) Chinese dumpling restaurant"? :jap:

Egads. It's about one page back. Not expecting anyone to read the entire thread as that would be crazy and largely useless, but come on now, how about a tiny little effort?

Well I haven't seen this one posted here so excuse me if I missed it. In the same strip mall/market as Kiss in Jomtien is a small French/Thai called Le Bistrot restaurant with well priced and high quality food. I've mostly eaten the Thai food and have been impressed. The avocado salad is also great.

It's two or 3 doors down from Kiss, prices better than Kiss and much higher quality. Open from at least lunch. Note that there is a Thai night market in the parking lot so it can get congested if you go in the evening.

For those in Jomtien wanting English bfast Tequila Sunrise will open for breakfast from Monday 23rd, price 95 Baht but no idea of the content.

The new owner has also reduced his roast dinners down to 120 Baht. I think he has realised TS mainstay were cheap breakfast and cheap roast dinners.

Well I haven't seen this one posted here so excuse me if I missed it. In the same strip mall/market as Kiss in Jomtien is a small French/Thai called Le Bistrot restaurant with well priced and high quality food. I've mostly eaten the Thai food and have been impressed. The avocado salad is also great.

It's two or 3 doors down from Kiss, prices better than Kiss and much higher quality. Open from at least lunch. Note that there is a Thai night market in the parking lot so it can get congested if you go in the evening.
Yes I posted about that place in detail before but not recently.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/18/2019 at 9:55 PM, Jingthing said:

Wine Connection

Chain restaurant with adjacent wine shop

Royal Garden Mall beach side front

They have an attractive 199 set promotion until 5 p.m. Choose any pizza or pasta from their regular menu, get a fancy side salad starter, and choice of soft drink. Glass of wine 100 baht possibly subject to legal time restrictions. 

I went with the burrata, parma ham, rocket, and cherry tomatoes pizza which is normally 260 on the menu. I was offered a choice of thin or thick crusts and unwisely chose thin. I did ask if they had medium and they said no. I suspect the thick isn't really thick, can someone confirm? Anyway the thin crust as is fair to expect was the crispy cracker style crust that I happen to dislike. The crust flavor was not there either so I do wonder if the "thick" is better. However, the toppings were excellent and in decent portions as well. 

Here you can see their entire menu including all the choices of pizzas and pastas for their "early bird" before 5 p.m. promotion.

https://www.wineconnection.co.th/media/menu/Bistro_Menu_BKK.pdf

10 percent service charge is added to the bill, tax is not. 

I need to check it out.

I know you do not but I love a crispy thin crust.  The crunch as you bite into it.

Dislike a doughy pizza.

Thanks for the info. price seems good also.

I need to check it out.
I know you do not but I love a crispy thin crust.  The crunch as you bite into it.
Dislike a doughy pizza.

Thanks for the info. price seems good also.
Yes I am well aware that crispy cracker style pizza crusts have a large following. Taste in pizza crusts is very subjective. I think you will like the thin pizza crust at Wine Connection!

Luo Ji Noodle House

Jomtien Soi Bum Kanchana Alley

Same Soi as Ukraine / Odessa restaurant

This is a new to me place that I found out about on Grab food delivery.

Based on their listing there I wasn't sure if it was a Thai noodle place or Chinese one.

After trying their food I would call it sort of Thai Chinese style. They do have a frog dish. That indicates a Chinese influence I think.

So I ordered on Grab but keep in mind prices on Grab and other delivery services are sometimes inflated compared to at the restaurants. In this case I don't know as I haven't been to the physical place.

So I tried two items - -

Beef egg noodle soup 130 and shrimp wontons which I thought would be a dry dish 105 as it was listed as an appetizer without the word soup. The picture on their listing showed thick noodles in a soup which I was wishfully thinking might be in house made wide wheat noodles.

But they were not. They were OK but thin egg noodles.

So both dishes arrived dry with two kinds of broth to add. One for the beef soup and one for the shrimp wontons.

The small cubic beef chunks were overly cooked but good enough as were the wontons.

Both dishes which turned out be two soups included some bok choy.

Overall I felt the food was good / OK but not anywhere near the level of getting excited about.

Salotto Italian restaurant

Moved from Jomtien Beach road to Tappraya Road near Helmi Finnish restaurant

Never been but looks interesting. Particularly the spaghetti dish served in a pizza crust. Never enough gluten!

https://m.facebook.com/Salotto-Italy-633147130133744/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7626190-Reviews-Salotto_Italy_s_Smile_Restaurant_Pizzeria-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=280722556

Simply the Best    Orange Garden  soi 33 Naklua Rd......Ask for English menu  for specials..Tuesday good day   3 course special 185,..think Thursday too  German sausage  .   but its the helpings and choice of  pasta, noodle, potato  either mash or boiled ,chips etc   no charge.   its good

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That's the soi with Bazi, Hirschgarten, Grottino etc, yes? https://goo.gl/maps/2vL1B2boEd8kCwMZ8 . I've been there numerous times but don't remember Orange Garden, is it new? Which end of the soi?

Same question from me, been on the soi hundreds of times, never noticed Orange Garden.

New or a renamed restaurant maybe ?

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, Jingthing said:

Lu Yuan

In the old Brunos building Tappraya Road Jomtien.

Speaking of hours, OMG this takes the cake! You've heard of bankers hours right? Well not so much abundance of openness in this case.

Sign on their door says open for lunch from noon to 2:30. OK. Fine. A lot of places close between lunch and dinner. Their posted night hours are 5 pm till late.

So the first time I arrived about 2:10 feeling a little sheepish but there were other customers arriving at the same time so no problem.

Today I arrived at about 10 of 2 feeling more confident. Was told the chef went home already. Not great so then I asked what the actual lunch hours are. I was told the last food orders are taken at 1:30. Asking three times if they meant everyday because it was hard to believe a place advertising they are open to 2:30 would actually shut the kitchen that early. But they confirmed it three times.

Speaking of they there was a staff of about five people seemingly just hanging out. Very odd. I have never heard of a lunch hour policy like that before anywhere in the world. But yes of course they can run their business any way they choose but what's up with the sign on the door saying open to 2:30? Yeah you betcha I gave them a piece of my mind mainly about the sign.

Now do you think they will change the sign? My bet is not.

Well golly!

Perhaps my giving them a piece of my mind made a difference.

They did indeed change the sign on the front door for the lunch hours.

Now it's been changed to closing at 2 PM instead of closing at 2:30.

I assume the last order to kitchen rule is still 1:30 but maybe if you showed up with a big rich looking party it might be different.

Anyway, had a chance to try some more dishes.

Went with green beans and minced pork stir fried with chili spices. 128 baht. Asked for it more spicy and go it.

Mixed reaction to that one.

The flavor was wonderful but the beans were soft, not crunchy.

That seems to me very unusual for that dish. The beans may have been the Thai yard beans instead of the green beans usually used in that dish. Perhaps this soft bean was the chef's intention but I didn't love that aspect of the dish. BTW, even though I didn't ask for it the dish also included Sichuan flavor from some Sichuan peppers which I did like. I think next time I order the cold chicken appetizer that I'll ask for Sichuan flavor in that too. 

The grand slam winner today was the Three Cup Chicken. 189 baht. This is a dish served in a sizzling claypot. Three Cup Chicken is one of the famous dishes of Taiwan and it will have a similar flavor profile everywhere because the recipe is defined by the name of the dish.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/taiwanese-three-cup-chicken-san-bei-gi-recipe.html

The bold and flavorful cooking liquid is incredibly easy, made from equal parts soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice wine.

Their version had the chef's signature on it. Instead of chicken pieces on the bone, largish boneless chicken thigh pieces were used which turned out to be a brilliant variation. The chicken pieces were marvelously carmelized. There was less LIQUID than I think is usual for this dish. Not complaining at all about that as the flavor overall was fantastic. This one I think is in the category of a MUST TRY dish there. BTW, the portion size for this dish was adequate. To add I think their version may have been missing the usual Thai basil which if true is weird as we're in Thailand, but it did have plenty of garlic and ginger. I'll check for the basil next time to make sure. 

Steamed rice is a very fair 25 baht for this level of restaurant. 

In any case, yet another case of how the Pattaya area continues to get better and better for people that love authentic Chinese food.

Suggestions, on the Dark side: https://goo.gl/maps/GfYd1wS95eNGyioR6

I've been wanting to go for some time, so I took the time this weekend. As background information, there are quite a few villages with large villas around the area, which should make for demand for higher end weekend dining. It seems to cluster around here.

So, first up parking: In their infinite wisdom the city decided to put funky and no doubt expensive street lights on that part of Talman. Naturally most of them are not lit, TiT, in this area they are. They also put a pretty high curb there, do not try to enter the parking next to the house with a sports car. There was a 7-series BMW parked there, so a normal sedan should have enough ground clearance to go over the curb.

The place itself is a house, with the restaurant being in the bottom floor. You need to enter from the back, they told us they'll have a door in the front in the future. It's quaint and as it says "cozy". Meaning three smaller tables and one long one for parties, one of our friends tried to go earlier but it was full. Reservation is never a bad idea.

The decoration is nice enough, it's sort of Euro-mom&pop style, cozy is a good description. If I understood correctly the owner who also seems to be the Chef is Belgian. In addition to him there were two Thais doing the table service, all good, it's a small space so they are visible all the time and were friendly and professional.

Wines, we went for a red Italian Merlot (my wife likes them), 895 baht. The prices were 900-1200, about, decent selection and kept at proper temp. As appetizer ordered bruschetta, we were brought a couple of buns what tasted like home made sourdough buns with butter and liver pate first, nice and I liked the taste. Bruschetta was two breads of the same origin loaded with tomatoes and the usual stuff, here the first surprise: it was sweet. Biting into tomatoes here I always expect a acid flush, not the case here. It started to sink in quite a few items are selected imports.

For mains, wife had Oz ribeye 595 baht, I ordered the special of Oz Angus tenderloin medium rare, 650 baht. I could hear them being seared in the back, on a pan and not open fire, which suits me just fine. They were properly let rest before brought to our table on what was not a plate but an aircraft carrier, with french fries for me and fried potatoes for her. The fries were excellent, clearly fried in fresh and adequately hot oil. First cut into the steak revealed it had been cooked exactly to specification and the lack of bloody liquid was a tell-tale sign of it having been aged. I was quite happy at this point. Wife's ribeye had the nice fat running in it as it should. 

The meat was very good, the only letdown the pepper sauce. I know how hard it is to make mother sauces and such cooking myself, but I can't help but to compare with Beefeater that seems to have gotten their sauces right. This was a bit bland. Veggies & co were Veggies & co. 

I wanted to get some dessert but was utterly stuffed and happy enough at this point. Total bill 2300baht, which compared to our usual 3000-3500 baht weekends dinners is not expensive at all.

Clearly the owner cares and selects the ingredients, it seems almost like a hobby. That's the impression I got. With little improvements here and there, it'll be an excellent restaurant. I think they're getting there.

I've got the feeling my review is a bit harsh on Pattaya standards, but once you got full monty imports, I will judge it as if I was in Europe. 8+. And yes I'm ecstatic something like this is in my neck of the woods. Their obvious competition is Livv, which I would like to visit more but every time I go the entire dark side seems to show up at the same time and I end up waiting for my food for more than an hour. Not the case here, they were also serving the full long table at the same time, no delays.

I will keep an eye on their specials, might be some dishes there that are hard to find otherwise.

Pretty close to Suggestions
Time-Out Bistro https://goo.gl/maps/28caDKzUsEaB3BKN9

Swiss food. Unfortunately they close at 6 pm already.
Today, we had a rainy day and I took the opportunity to drive there.
My order was the Cordon Bleu, 225 Baht if I remember it correctly (with a soda 245 were on the bill).

497438.jpg.fcd5b882a414c03c48b7574f98e8d519.jpg

As the side dish I chose the fries, others are available too.

Long story short, it was simply delicious. The cheese makes the difference. Not just Cheddar but a very fine Swiss cheese with a brilliant taste. For sure imported, not easy to get it here.

I would estimate the portion about 300++ grams. Couldn't finish it and took the half of it in a doggie bag back home. 
The host and staff are very friendly and caring. Limited seating though.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:43 PM, DrTuner said:

It's in prime area for a Chinese takeover. I've been to Linda's for the sandwiches, which are good. It's the clinical ambience and fairly hefty prices that have kept me from going back in.

Best case scenario: They move to the burgeoning foodie center in dark side, back side of Soi Talman and thanks to low rents put the prices down.

Could be but, saying that, and given that there are 3 or 4 Chinese restaurants already in Jomtiem, I don't see many Chinese in and around Jomtiem.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:55 PM, Jingthing said:

Wine Connection

Chain restaurant with adjacent wine shop

Royal Garden Mall beach side front

They have an attractive 199 set promotion until 5 p.m. Choose any pizza or pasta from their regular menu, get a fancy side salad starter, and choice of soft drink. Glass of wine 100 baht possibly subject to legal time restrictions. 

I went with the burrata, parma ham, rocket, and cherry tomatoes pizza which is normally 260 on the menu. I was offered a choice of thin or thick crusts and unwisely chose thin. I did ask if they had medium and they said no. I suspect the thick isn't really thick, can someone confirm? Anyway the thin crust as is fair to expect was the crispy cracker style crust that I happen to dislike. The crust flavor was not there either so I do wonder if the "thick" is better. However, the toppings were excellent and in decent portions as well. 

Here you can see their entire menu including all the choices of pizzas and pastas for their "early bird" before 5 p.m. promotion.

https://www.wineconnection.co.th/media/menu/Bistro_Menu_BKK.pdf

10 percent service charge is added to the bill, tax is not. 

Went there a few days ago, had that salad starter, spaghetti seafood and coke, 220B on their promotion, all in all, was average, little or no costumers in at 2 in afternoon, this place will struggle. Doubt if I will return.

Tried this place a few days ago, that side street beside Tukcom, had chili & chips. came with a nice salad, food was good, not a firry chili but tasty enough, menu looked inspiring, so will return. Cant remember exactly but think the meal was under 200B. Portion size was adequate.  

Chili_IMG_9033.jpg

Chili_IMG_9036.jpg

Sunday roast at Retox game on, 199B plus 30B extra for lamb, was reasonable value for money, large portion available also, regular was enough for me.

Meal itself was average, lamb a little tough and dry, and a bit cold.

Busy place on Sunday with the sport.

retox_IMG_9042.jpg

Dice Rileys (part of Avani Hotel) Sun brunch buffet is probably one of the best in Pattaya for the price (450 baht) right now.  12noon to 4pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/652755585206545/

The highlight of this buffet is the Turkey carvery which is always excellent.  They also have pizza which is just ok.  Cooked to order pasta with your choice of sauce.  Also barbecued shish kebabe chicken and shrimp outside.  The shrimp was really good.  Very meaty and juicy. 

They usually also have roast beef at the carvery which is pretty good for Thailand.  But it's cooked medium, not medium rare so some some guys complain it's a little dry.  I usually hate all reasonably priced beef in Thailand.  Not the case here.

They have several other dishes which can change from week to week.  There is also a full salad bar and desert table.  I'm pretty frugal and I think the 450 baht is worth the splurge once in awhile for what you get.

4 hours ago, hackjam said:

Tried this place a few days ago, that side street beside Tukcom, had chili & chips. came with a nice salad, food was good, not a firry chili but tasty enough, menu looked inspiring, so will return. Cant remember exactly but think the meal was under 200B. Portion size was adequate.  

Chili_IMG_9033.jpg

Chili_IMG_9036.jpg

Next time try their Spaghetti and Meatballs. Comes with garlic bread  -  the future.

43 minutes ago, champers said:
Next time try their Spaghetti and Meatballs. Comes with garlic bread  -  the future.

Sounds tasty but how does that dish represent the future? To me it sounds like a nostalgic retro trip to the past of Italian American red sauce restaurants.

Excuse the pedantry and I reckon most people know this already, but spaghetti and meatballs isn't normally found on the menus of "authentic" Italian restaurants. But that doesn't mean it isn't a great dish (when cooked well of course). 

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

Dice Rileys (part of Avani Hotel) Sun brunch buffet is probably one of the best in Pattaya for the price (450 baht) right now.  12noon to 4pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/652755585206545/

The highlight of this buffet is the Turkey carvery which is always excellent.  They also have pizza which is just ok.  Cooked to order pasta with your choice of sauce.  Also barbecued shish kebabe chicken and shrimp outside.  The shrimp was really good.  Very meaty and juicy. 

They usually also have roast beef at the carvery which is pretty good for Thailand.  But it's cooked medium, not medium rare so some some guys complain it's a little dry.  I usually hate all reasonably priced beef in Thailand.  Not the case here.

They have several other dishes which can change from week to week.  There is also a full salad bar and desert table.  I'm pretty frugal and I think the 450 baht is worth the splurge once in awhile for what you get.

That's good to know about their beef, as I don't think I have ever had decent beef Sunday roast in Pattaya.

I have been to Dice R a few times for Sunday buffet, which was very good but really got the hump about drink prices, what I would describe as a total <deleted> take, I think they charge 300B for a Magners cider. And I seem to recall they do the plus plus thing. I would certainly return for buffet if they have screwed the head with drinks prices????

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds tasty but how does that dish represent the future? To me it sounds like a nostalgic retro trip to the past of Italian American red sauce restaurants.

Excuse the pedantry and I reckon most people know this already, but spaghetti and meatballs isn't normally found on the menus of "authentic" Italian restaurants. But that doesn't mean it isn't a great dish (when cooked well of course). 

Deli Diner isn't Italian, of course, but the Spaghetti and Meatballs is very good. I take your word for it that it isn't authentic.

As for garlic bread being the future, well that is a line from an English comedian that has entered the lexicon in the UK.

The comedian is Peter Kay and if you google "Peter Kay garlic bread" you will see more of his musings on it. I hope our English humour crosses the proverbial pond for you.

17 minutes ago, champers said:

Deli Diner isn't Italian, of course, but the Spaghetti and Meatballs is very good. I take your word for it that it isn't authentic.

As for garlic bread being the future, well that is a line from an English comedian that has entered the lexicon in the UK.

The comedian is Peter Kay and if you google "Peter Kay garlic bread" you will see more of his musings on it. I hope our English humour crosses the proverbial pond for you.

Thanks for the clarification. Insider jokes don't work if you aren't an insider but now I've been enlightened. I actually thought before saying the future was some kind of brain fart. 

Archived