The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

7 hours ago, fforest1 said:

With the bad exchange rates my guess Indian food in Pattaya cost 3-5 times as much as the same meal would cost in India according to my 10 minutes of research......Its hard to say exactly because some parts of India are more expensive than others......If you went with a meal from a no frills hole in the wall restaurant in Calcutta,India I think you could be paying 7-8-9 times more for the same meal in Pattaya...

But would you have to call a plumber to get your backside off the lavatory?

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes. I should clarify that my information says that on Saturdays not only will they be open noon to midnight but that the buffet will be available that entire time. No guarantees offered!

and what about a great indian restaurant in this area that you were talking about on a old post ? you said that it was so special ? was it so special that it is closed already ?

• Haha 1

and what about a great indian restaurant in this area that you were talking about on a old post ? you said that it was so special ? was it so special that it is closed already ?

I'm guessing you mean the place in the Indian tourist area down some blocks from Pattaya Klang. Did you mean that one or another one? I can't read minds. Anyway restaurants Indian and non Indian open and close here with great frequency. I take zero responsibility for that inevitable activity whether the restaurants are good or bad.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

Looking forward to a report on this buffet.

OK. I can report. It was at least a half decent feed perhaps decent depending on how picky you are and well worth the 250. I particularly enjoyed the spiced fish fry. Two kinds of bread Naan and Tandoori roti. I thought it should have included raita but there was mint yogurt chutney. Given enough support this will be running every Saturday with changed offerings and potentially even daily.

• Like 2

O Delice Jomtien

Artisanal French bakery and cafe

Exquisitely creative cakes and pastries

Now offering international "gourmet" lunch specials daily except Mondays.

The dishes change daily and each weekly menu is different.

Hours for lunch specials are 11 am to 3 pm.

Check their fb page for the current weeks lineup.

I say international because it's not only French. You also see Italian, Chinese, and North African, etc.

Given the cooking quality and price I won't go so far as saying best deal in town but I will say among the best.

One block in to Jomtien Complex from the corner where Tinnies Aussie pies is located (Tappraya Road).

Preview of next weeks lunch menu

Bread of the day and drinking water included with all meals

Monday

Shop open but off day for lunch special

Tuesday

Milanese schnitzel with fries and salad 190

Wednesday

Seafood vol vont with spaghetti 200

Thursday

Brioche stuffed with liver and ratatouille 220

Friday

Chicken and lemon Tagine (North African stew) with fries 220

Saturday

Pork loin forestiere with mashed potatoes 210

Sunday

Chicken with beer sauce and crushed potatoes 220

Add 120 for choice of cake and soft drink excluding coffee

https://m.facebook.com/odelicejomtien/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

O Delice Jomtien

Artisanal French bakery and cafe

Exquisitely creative cakes and pastries

Now offering international "gourmet" lunch specials daily except Mondays.

The dishes change daily and each weekly menu is different.

Hours for lunch specials are 11 am to 3 pm.

Check their fb page for the current weeks lineup.

I say international because it's not only French. You also see Italian, Chinese, and North African, etc.

Given the cooking quality and price I won't go so far as saying best deal in town but I will say among the best.

One block in to Jomtien Complex from the corner where Tinnies Aussie pies is located (Tappraya Road).

Preview of next weeks lunch menu

Bread of the day and drinking water included with all meals

Monday

Shop open but off day for lunch special

Tuesday

Milanese schnitzel with fries and salad 190

Wednesday

Seafood vol vont with spaghetti 200

Thursday

Brioche stuffed with liver and ratatouille 220

Friday

Chicken and lemon Tagine (North African stew) with fries 220

Saturday

Pork loin forestiere with mashed potatoes 210

Sunday

Chicken with beer sauce and crushed potatoes 220

Add 120 for choice of cake and soft drink excluding coffee

https://m.facebook.com/odelicejomtien/

What is vol vont?? Vol-au-vent?

Pho Mr. Nam

Vietnamese noodle soup au much more

Tappraya Road near bottom au the hill

Good au news.

Reports of the au death of this au restaurant were greatly au exaggerated!

A member here au reported this place was scheduled to au close in au August.

Nope. (au)

Still serving and even au adding menu items.

I must admit au don't like their au location and hope that they join Grab au food au delivery.

https://m.facebook.com/PHOMRNAM/

Lu Yuan Hot Pot (and Chinese restaurant)

Tappraya Road in the old Bruno's building

Well based on one visit, I am now prepared to emit some possibly premature exclamations about this exciting new addition to the local Chinese food scene.

! The culinary level of the chef is high !

! The English languages skills of the staff is low !

! The food served does not match the menu pictures, either in serving size or appearance !

! If you miss Brunos, do not fret. Brunos napkins will be on your table !

! If you can avoid it, do not ask any questions about menu items. If you do and then decide you don't want to order an item you asked about prepare yourself for a United Nation's level conference attempting to make it clear that you don't actually want to order it. !

! 10 percent service charge is added. Taxes are not added. Prices don't seem very high but keep in mind with smallish portions, they kind of are. Drinks are expensive but drinking water is a fair for a fancy place 28 baht !

Dishes I ordered were the 

Ribs Rice 158

This is a pork cooked with rice in a clay pot. The picture showed a large rib meat thing. Instead a small number of teeny tiny rib pieces and Chinese sausage (which I happen to hate), Expertly cooked, well seasoned, and the best part was there was lots of rice sticking to the bottom of the pot, which is of course the best part to eat. 

Spicy Chicken 179 (cold dish)

This dish is sometimes done Sichuan style with a chili oil including numbing Sichuan peppers. As this place is not a Sichuan restaurant. I didn't even ask for Sichuan flavors but I did ask for it to be hot spicy in Chinese, Thai, and English. It worked! The chili pastes and oils served with the cold chicken pieces were absolutely fantastic. I have no idea what the dish would be like without asking for it to be very hot as I did, but I'm sure it would be different. For me this dish is a grand slam winner, but again, a smallish portion.

I wanted to give my early take on this place. Bottom line -- I think it's a very good Chinese restaurant but it's not for everyone.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Pho Mr. Nam

Vietnamese noodle soup au much more

Tappraya Road near bottom au the hill

Good au news.

Reports of the au death of this au restaurant were greatly au exaggerated!

A member here au reported this place was scheduled to au close in au August.

Nope. (au)

Still serving and even au adding menu items.

I must admit au don't like their au location and hope that they join Grab au food au delivery.

https://m.facebook.com/PHOMRNAM/

Me thought it not au..thentic.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Where is Mickeys? Thanks,

https://goo.gl/maps/HMPyyZQyRyrPbocB6

I just happened to see it yesterday in Google maps restaurant search and was about to try, now I definitely will. Very timely report, is the place new, haven't noticed it before?

I have a feeling the talman area in the back is becoming a hotspot for farang food, which is excellent, excellent news for us darksiders. Here's another one I've wanted to try for some time, closeby to Mickey, called Suggestions: https://goo.gl/maps/FbK33KY7TSobzvg89

If the Chinese keep in Jomthien I'm alright with it, no need to go there then. Let the Darkside be the refuge of the carnivorous farang.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

is this place still open ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/951841-bollywood-kurry-sophisticated-delicious-and-well-priced-indian-food/

or closed as all the best restaurant ever that we can usually find on this forum ?

????

Yes indeed, it is open.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d12910833-Reviews-or10-Bollywood_Kurry-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, DrTuner said:

Mall food. Seriously? I can hear the amount of MSG couple of hundreds of km away. 

There are dozens of different foods of dozens of different nationalities in Pattaya malls. But MSG is not an issue. Its a natural flavour enhancer that has been around longer than the USA or Australia.  Its simply not an issue unless its over used just the same as salt or sugar. MSG allergy is a fantasy. Used in moderation its beneficial. 

• Like 1

Kilkenny Pub (and Restaurant)

Soi LK Metro (nightlife area)

I'm not pretending to be an expert on Sunday roasts as they aren't a part of my background, but living in Pattaya I've developed a taste for an occasional indulgence into that tradition.

They seem to be an endless subject of debate as to which is the best, which is the best value for money, and which is the cheapest. Similar to the English breakfast discussions.

Well the 199 plated lamb Sunday roast is clearly not the cheapest or the best.

However, it's very satisfying and good value for money. The thickish sliced lamb (perhaps a tad overcooked) in gravy alongside LARGE portions of roasted potato. mashed potatoes, mixed fresh vegetables, Yorkshire pudding, and a gravy boat. Mint sauce in a bottle is offered. The meat portion could have been bigger but lamb is expensive. On the bland side overall but I feel that way about roast dinners in general. Beer is cheap. 

It's a bar. So you sit on stools and eat on bar tables. Oh well. 

Kilkenny features daily specials the rest of the week, and also a menu with the expected western food and also Thai.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There are dozens of different foods of dozens of different nationalities in Pattaya malls. But MSG is not an issue. Its a natural flavour enhancer that has been around longer than the USA or Australia.  Its simply not an issue unless its over used just the same as salt or sugar. MSG allergy is a fantasy. Used in moderation its beneficial. 

I totally agree. 

But debating about MSG is a black hole. 
The people that think it's the devil's powder are not going to change their minds!

Edited by Jingthing

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Too many items on the menu. Service not brilliant. Frequently empty. Sometimes playing Arab hip hop I went there about 2 years ago..left before ordering due to unpleasant atmosphere.  not been back since

• Thanks 1

Too many items on the menu. Service not brilliant. Frequently empty. Sometimes playing Arab hip hop I went there about 2 years ago..left before ordering due to unpleasant atmosphere.  not been back since

I have no recent comments on the place pro or con. Two years back is often not relevant to the current situation in any restaurant. I have read some very recent very positive comments about the place online so interested people are advised to do their own boots on ground / hands in the plate and they are very welcome to post about that here.

• Haha 1

I have had the Killkenny Sunday roast lamb in the past, one of the cheapest around Pattaya and was OK, the roast potato was way too big, so undercooked, should have been cut in 3.

Can pay anything from 199B to 450B for Sunday roast in and around Pattaya and price difference normally reflects on quality.

2 of the best value SRs in Pattaya can be found on Darkside, Welcome Inn and Tropical, around 230B each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hackjam said:

I have had the Killkenny Sunday roast lamb in the past, one of the cheapest around Pattaya and was OK, the roast potato was way too big, so undercooked, should have been cut in 3.

Can pay anything from 199B to 450B for Sunday roast in and around Pattaya and price difference normally reflects on quality.

2 of the best value SRs in Pattaya can be found on Darkside, Welcome Inn and Tropical, around 230B each.

I'm sure there are even cheaper roast plates than 199. But 199 is on the low side.

• Like 1